Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks,

I hope you don’t mind that I started this. I stopped by to express my congratulations & noticed a Thread wasn’t up yet.

Brind'Amour, Evason, Quenneville named Jack Adams Award finalists

Best of luck to your Coach. It was great seeing your Team take a big step this Season and I’m excited for Rossi & Boldy joining the group next Season.

Hope everyone here has a safe, fun summer with their families.

Cheers

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Hope he sends Talbot a bottle of his preferred drink...

Only reason for the nom.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Tough crowd. He was handed a team that had Johansson, Rask, Bjugstad, and Hartman as C candidates and told to make a team. Oh and Sturm had what....maybe 5-10 points in his career coming into this season?
I thought he did really well. The team never gave up, and made numerous comebacks when I thought it was over. They took a Cup contender to 7 games despite some pretty questionable reffing and losing two starting Dmen. We were all pretty disappointed at the time, but seeing what VGK did to CO, maybe we should feel better about ourselves, and Dean. I would've liked to see Boldy in the playoffs over Bjugstad and Parise, but let's face it, LW is not where the real problem was, and Parise delivered when he was played.

Thought he could've done a bit better managing the goalies, but that's minor quibbling/ second guessing. We had much better goaltending this year than in the past, and he deserves some credit for that, IMO, as well as Guerin for signing Talbot.

The team seems to play for Dean. I think they appreciate that it is a meritocracy now, as Parise is no longer gifted top minutes, and Suter is just one of the top 4 guys rather than a guy who won't get off the ice, and Lords it over everyone.He tried all sorts of combinations of lines early in the year, and did, IMO, the best he could with a near impossible situation. He somehow conjured up the idea of playing Hartman as a top 6 C, and he didn't do half bad, compared to the other options.

I really don't get a lot of the criticism he gets on here. I think a lot of the things that he did are taken for granted, like putting together and sticking with the GREEF's after Kunin was traded, being smart enough to get out of Kaprizov's way as soon as he saw what he was, using tough love in the best sense of the word with Fiala, and figuring out that Cole could actually play, and Hunt couldn't. The PP was historically bad, but he then fixed it so it actually became quite good. All these things could have gone the wrong way, but didn't. That's not by accident. Evidently the NHL agrees.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Tough crowd. He was handed a team that had Johansson, Rask, Bjugstad, and Hartman as C candidates and told to make a team. Oh and Sturm had what....maybe 5-10 points in his career coming into this season?
I thought he did really well. The team never gave up, and made numerous comebacks when I thought it was over. They took a Cup contender to 7 games despite some pretty questionable reffing and losing two starting Dmen. We were all pretty disappointed at the time, but seeing what VGK did to CO, maybe we should feel better about ourselves, and Dean. I would've liked to see Boldy in the playoffs over Bjugstad and Parise, but let's face it, LW is not where the real problem was, and Parise delivered when he was played.

Thought he could've done a bit better managing the goalies, but that's minor quibbling/ second guessing. We had much better goaltending this year than in the past, and he deserves some credit for that, IMO, as well as Guerin for signing Talbot.

The team seems to play for Dean. I think they appreciate that it is a meritocracy now, as Parise is no longer gifted top minutes, and Suter is just one of the top 4 guys rather than a guy who won't get off the ice, and Lords it over everyone.He tried all sorts of combinations of lines early in the year, and did, IMO, the best he could with a near impossible situation. He somehow conjured up the idea of playing Hartman as a top 6 C, and he didn't do half bad, compared to the other options.

I really don't get a lot of the criticism he gets on here. I think a lot of the things that he did are taken for granted, like putting together and sticking with the GREEF's after Kunin was traded, being smart enough to get out of Kaprizov's way as soon as he saw what he was, using tough love in the best sense of the word with Fiala, and figuring out that Cole could actually play, and Hunt couldn't. The PP was historically bad, but he then fixed it so it actually became quite good. All these things could have gone the wrong way, but didn't. That's not by accident. Evidently the NHL agrees.
I agree with this for the most part. I thought he did well with a team that had a crucial weakness that wasn't in his power to fix. Good goaltending is obviously a major factor, but that strikes me as a little chicken-and-egg: did the coach look good because of a hot goalie, or was the goalie hot because he was playing behind a structured team? Probably both, and Dean gets his share of the credit for that.

Reactions: MK9

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Another thing that's been kind of been in my head is this from the last 31 Thoughts podcast (27:30).
Elliotte Friedman said:
I think this is gonna be a wild offseason, at least in terms of rumors you hear. I think there's gonna be so many good players out there [looking] for changes of scenery, or... someone said to me that they think there's gonna be a lot of trade requests, because it was such a hard year and people are gonna value their situation over anything else. And if they don't like their situation they're gonna say "I'd like to go somewhere else." I don't know if all these teams are gonna be able to honor them all, but I think there will be.

Aside from the trade implications it's a reminder that this really was a long, strange season, played under conditions that've worn a lot of teams and players down. I think it's partially a testament to the coaches that the locker room has reportedly stayed close knit and continued to buy in, despite having one of the tougher travel schedules in the league. Maybe we'll hear otherwise over the next few weeks, but pretty much every report we've heard about where players' heads are at is that they want to stay put. Parise's an outlier, but that's a much larger question than just this season.

It's also something I think Guerin gets some credit for. I'm still not sure how wise it is but he's pretty clearly made "fixing the room" one of his priorities over the last year; I think that was a big factor in both Bonino and Cole being brought in, and possibly Johansson (on apparent vetting from Evason). It was certainly a factor in deciding some of the departures. It's a hard thing to quantify but, as we might see over the next few months, being a team that players actually want to play for does have some real advantages.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is getting away from coaching, but one of my fears about trading away Dumba is that i think he is one of those guys who keeps everyone loose, and brings the team together with his enthusiasm, good humor, and positivity. Foligno is probably one of those guys, too, though they both have their own styles. Guys like that do a lot of the coaches work for them, just like certain other types can make a coach work harder because of their negativity.

Reactions: BagHead and Bazeek

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
This is getting away from coaching, but one of my fears about trading away Dumba is that i think he is one of those guys who keeps everyone loose, and brings the team together with his enthusiasm, good humor, and positivity. Foligno is probably one of those guys, too, though they both have their own styles. Guys like that do a lot of the coaches work for them, just like certain other types can make a coach work harder because of their negativity.
Agreed. I'm not sure Dumba ever lives up to all of our expectations over the past few years... But he would have been great with a letter on his chest.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. I'm not sure Dumba ever lives up to all of our expectations over the past few years... But he would have been great with a letter on his chest.
Ehh...I don't think he needs to have that. It's almost better if he's outside the "chain of command", and is the prankster, relief valve, and bon vivant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad