Player Discussion Dealing with demons. Ales Hemsky edition

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We all remember Ales Hemsky.
He was the best player on the Oilers for years and unfortunately the injuries took its toll on poor Ales. He had made some great plays and brought us out of our seats in years that were oh so dark.

In this edition of dealing with demon, let us discuss the possible return of Hemmer to retire an oiler. Discuss the possible line he would play on and if you wish, share your favorite Memory of Ales.

No thank you. We did memory lane with Smyth. No need to bring Hemsky back.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I'm astonished he's hit the 800 games played mark with his concussion history. There's no real need to sign Hemsky again.

Even if half the boys here rocked the Hemsky jersey.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No thank you. We did memory lane with Smyth. No need to bring Hemsky back.

You’re bringing up us picking up a 35 year old Smyth for peanuts, and having him put up 19-27-46, as if that was a bad thing. It wasn’t. Even in his last year, he was able to play as a 4C, and put up 10-13-23.

I’d have absolutely no issue offering Hemsky a deal, but it’d only be a one year deal at league minimum, and there’s a good chance he’d be waived. Basically just a “thanks for everything you did here” deal.

Reactions: Jamin

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You’re bringing up us picking up a 35 year old Smyth for peanuts, and having him put up 19-27-46, as if that was a bad thing. It wasn’t. Even in his last year, he was able to play as a 4C, and put up 10-13-23.

I’d have absolutely no issue offering Hemsky a deal, but it’d only be a one year deal at league minimum, and there’s a good chance he’d be waived. Basically just a “thanks for everything you did here” deal.
Smyth was better here in his return than Hemsky was at that time and Ryan Smyth is long since retired. Ales Hemsky on the other hand has continued to pick up a pay cheque from teams that for some reason sign him. (I have no idea why).

Its really incredible people would even entertain bringing a long finished Hemsky back here. That would be more futile than the Flames having Jagr this season and at least Jagr was an elite player at one time and not a one dimensional player.

Not sure what the affinity here is for Hemsky but he's not worthy, at all, of a retirement feel good contract or ceremony.

Players like Smyth, Weight were on a whole other level. Love those players.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
wow. what happened to this guy

remember when people said when he left the oilers he would finally blossom into a superstar?
heh. good one.

a good player but always overrated. I wouldn't even offer him a PTO.
maybe a phone call to wish him a happy birthday.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Your misreading the intent of my post which probably is my fault as it’s not written very well.

We did a well deserved memory lane deal for Smyth who contributed much to this organization and still does. I’m a huge fan of Smyth and have much of his memorabilia hanging in our hockey cave.

Personally I have never been a huge Hemsky and he does not have the same cache for me as Smyth. There’s no point wasting a contract spot on Hemsky who is light years beyond his prime and wouldn’t contribute anything but fond memories of some of his fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->