Dealerships Rounding Mileage

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Since buying my latest car I've been getting my oil changed as suggested by the vehicle maintenance schedule. Let's say the mileage on the car is 100,632 and it needs to be changed every 8,000KMs. Almost always when I get my car back, the sticker on my windshield would say 108,000 rather than 108,632. No matter what my mileage is, they always seem to round down to the thousand. I understand they may want to keep it simple for customers to remember but I'm sure the rounding down increases their profits by booking their customers that much sooner.

I've mentioned it to the service manager before, who has since left the dealership. I took my car to another dealership (same company) and they do not round. When I had a VW, they never rounded either.

My question: is this an understandable concern? Is this normal or ethical? Not sure if I should complain or not.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I've never let them put a sticker in my windshield (never been to a dealership that actually does that either).

I'd say it's not a problem though. They're not actually making more money, you'd have to go to them at last once more over the life time of the car for it to actually make a difference. Not the mention service departments don't exactly make a living on oil changes.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Not a concern for me since they're rounding down.

That said I've been changing my own oil for a decade so that I can control what goes in. I usually round to the nearest 500, because I'm never dead-on. Inevitably I'm lazy and go over a few hundred miles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->