Deal On Table: NHL, NHLPA pondering 6-year CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
Makaveli_The_Don said:
If the NHL agrees to this crap I will not repurchase my tickets for the Flames. I will not suppourt a half assed CBA agreement which favours the players. Unless there is a cap I will not suppourt hockey and the Flames anymore.
good. makes more room for real flames fans.

i want hockey.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
"Sources tell Sportsnet the Phoenix Coyotes coaching staff has informed its players they need to be on standby, prepared to practice within the next seven days."

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
todays tsn article quotes saskins as saying that nothing that he's read about in terms of the "six year deal" is accurate. i dont know if that means the terms arent accurate, or the whole thing in general. if something real wasnt being talked about though, im sure the second meeting wouldnt be happening. im sure both sides had to report to their respective bosses to see how much further they could go. they are probably meeting today to discuss what the cheifs said about yesterdays conversation.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Koivu11 said:
"Sources tell Sportsnet the Phoenix Coyotes coaching staff has informed its players they need to be on standby, prepared to practice within the next seven days."

99's maid?

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Makaveli_The_Don said:
If the NHL agrees to this crap I will not repurchase my tickets for the Flames. I will not suppourt a half assed CBA agreement which favours the players. Unless there is a cap I will not suppourt hockey and the Flames anymore.

WTF do you care?

Honestly lol.

When it comes right down to it the CBA is none of our business anyway.

You've been brainwashed into thinking it has by the NHL.

se7en*

Who did Colorado lose to free agency? I know Federov left Detroit and Hatcher left Dallas but that absolutely pales in comparison. Dont tell me they couldn't afford them either, what did Dallas pay Turgeon, like $7.5 million? Did they bolt because those are mediorce teams? Or they were unaffordable?

What does the Oilers drafting record of the mid-90s have to do with it? Is that Lowe's fault? In case you were not aware, and seeing your lack of common sense it would be hardly surprising, that Sather went to New York. And lets be realistic, its too easy to say that it's mismanagement that Lowe did not replace the holes left by Weight, Joseph, etc, without explaining where the money would come from. That's something you seem to be avoiding. Convenient. I wish I could present an argument that ineptly.

Go Flames Go*

Wally112pac said:
WTF do you care?

Honestly lol.

When it comes right down to it the CBA is none of our business anyway.

You've been brainwashed into thinking it has by the NHL.

Unless this deal is gonna make our team money so they don't fold, and we can retain Jarome Iginla for his career, I don't want no part of this crap. I want a competitve team every year, and I want us to be able to keep the best player in the game right now for 10 more years, not 3 years and he can walk away.

If this deal is signed and Jarome Iginla signs a 10 year 60 million dollar deal then I will buy my tickets.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
todays tsn article quotes saskins as saying that nothing that he's read about in terms of the "six year deal" is accurate. i dont know if that means the terms arent accurate, or the whole thing in general. if something real wasnt being talked about though, im sure the second meeting wouldnt be happening. im sure both sides had to report to their respective bosses to see how much further they could go. they are probably meeting today to discuss what the cheifs said about yesterdays conversation.

Everyone is goin to deny everythin if it has to do with the CBA. They're not goin to say much about it while they're negotiating it.

YellHockey*

Hootchie Cootchie said:
How nice for Alfredsson. Ryan Smyth did the same thing. I'm glad you could cite one player but one player does not equal a core.

No Smyth did not. He isn't eligible for UFA until the offseason of 2007.

Ottawa has also signed Hasek, Smolinski and Leschyshyn as unrestricted free agents.

Havlat held out last year, don't you remember? Did you hold this stuff back trying in vain to help your case? I see right through it. And I'm sure there are others - another Ottawa fan would know better than I do though.

He signed the day of the second regular season game. That's sure a long holdout that forced the Sens to trade him. He is also already signed for the current season should it ever take place.

Tomas Kaberle has held out on the Leafs in the past. Does that mean that big market teams are disadvantage as well?

I said no such thing.

That's the opinion of one fan - and to proclaim thats indicative of the whole fanbase is beyond foolhardy.

He claims to speak for all small market fans. If you didn't agree with him, why didn't you reply to his post instead of mine?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You speak of the NHLs latest deal, which ALSO included NO salary arbitration of any kind and a UFA age at 30. If youre so hellbent on the NFL system, make the UFA age for hockey players at age 24 then, an age where most NFL players become UFA's. Under the NHLs latest offer a player is OWNED by a team from age 18 to age 30 and has no say in the matter at all. If I was a player and looked at that deal I would have turned my back right then and there.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Makaveli_The_Don said:
Unless this deal is gonna make our team money so they don't fold, and we can retain Jarome Iginla for his career, I don't want no part of this crap. I want a competitve team every year, and I want us to be able to keep the best player in the game right now for 10 more years, not 3 years and he can walk away.

If this deal is signed and Jarome Iginla signs a 10 year 60 million dollar deal then I will buy my tickets.

If the 6 year deal is true it sounds like the first 3 years will be with an unofficial cap. If that doesn't work the hard cap will kick in. So either way it looks like Iginla isn't goin anywhere.

se7en*

Does that mean that big market teams are disadvantage as well?

You suggested they were by mentioning Colorado without bothering to explain why small-markets can output the same revenue to be able to compete at the same level.

If you didn't agree with him, why didn't you reply to his post instead of mine?

Because you don't have the common sense and/or smarts to dismiss that notion as crap.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ottawa

didnt they go bankrupt or something?

If Ottawa ever had any success in the post season, that team would fly apart like...

well add any visual that suits your fancy!

What a joke, Ottawa....

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
BlackRedGold, do you even remember when the Sens filed for bankruptcy? If your owner hadn't stepped up and bought the team, the Sens would be elsewhere right now. How can you even argue that the old CBA was good when you ALMOST LOST YOUR TEAM DUE TO IT.

Or is it ok now because you have a billionare owner and Sens fans have decided that he won't mind losing millions every year? Businessmen can recognize poor investments when they see them and if the Sens are costing him too much money who is to say he won't sell the team as well?

You really think that Alfredson would have been resigned under the old owner? How about your UFA signings, would those have happened too? The sens are not as set financially as you seem to think they are. If this CBA doesn't change enough and Melnyk is losing too much money , he could still sell you team to portland or somewhere else. Things aren't all peachy in the NHL just because you guys have a rich new owner. If you still had your old one, you would be marching right along beside us Oilers and Flames fans.

So try to keep that in mind as you beat your "Just start the season no matter what" drum. The league needs to be fixed or places like Edmonton, and Calgary will lose their teams. And if hockey can't survive in rabid markets like Alberta then it won't survive a lot of places.

Or should we just go back to the original 6 teams?

YellHockey*

s7ark said:
BlackRedGold, do you even remember when the Sens filed for bankruptcy? If your owner hadn't stepped up and bought the team, the Sens would be elsewhere right now. How can you even argue that the old CBA was good when you ALMOST LOST YOUR TEAM DUE TO IT.

There really should be a "Senators Bankruptcy FAQ" here to explain the situation to those who are ignorant about what happened.

The CBA had nothing to do with the bankruptcy. It was due to undercapitalization and a spiralling debt load. A salary cap would not have changed anything.

Or is it ok now because you have a billionare owner and Sens fans have decided that he won't mind losing millions every year? Businessmen can recognize poor investments when they see them and if the Sens are costing him too much money who is to say he won't sell the team as well?

Once again, it is highly doubtful that the Sens are losing millions every year under Melnyk. If businessmen can recognize poor investments, why did one buy the Senators?

You really think that Alfredson would have been resigned under the old owner? How about your UFA signings, would those have happened too? The sens are not as set financially as you seem to think they are. If this CBA doesn't change enough and Melnyk is losing too much money , he could still sell you team to portland or somewhere else. Things aren't all peachy in the NHL just because you guys have a rich new owner. If you still had your old one, you would be marching right along beside us Oilers and Flames fans.

I don't know if Alfredsson would have been resigned if Bryden still had the debt load he carried. But it wouldn't have been because of the CBA if he had left.

To be honest, I would rather the Sens have given Leschyshyn and Smolinski's jobs to young players. I thought signing Smolinski was a mistake but Melnyk felt the need to show that times had changed with him running the club.

So try to keep that in mind as you beat your "Just start the season no matter what" drum. The league needs to be fixed or places like Edmonton, and Calgary will lose their teams. And if hockey can't survive in rabid markets like Alberta then it won't survive a lot of places.

Keep what in mind? Your ignorance of the situation in Ottawa? That in Alberta fear sells?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Alfredsson is the player who took a paycut under Bryden just so the Sens had enough money to acquire Varada. There are also other instances of NHL players taking paycuts to bring in other players to help the team win. But all NHL players are greedy and horrible and eat babies and are terrible monsters right? Id love to see an NBA player take a paycut for another guy. Id love to see someone disagree with this statement right here. NHL PLAYERS are by FAR the most down to earth players in ANY of the majour sports overall as a GROUP. Yes there are greedy and selfish ones but compared to all other sports I think NHL players as a whole have the most class and give the most out of anyone. Those are my thoughts.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Wally112pac said:
If the 6 year deal is true it sounds like the first 3 years will be with an unofficial cap. If that doesn't work the hard cap will kick in. So either way it looks like Iginla isn't goin anywhere.

Unless he wants to.

--Which, by the way, I'm not insinuating he does.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Too funny...

About the Ottawa bankruptcy, maybe you should read what the previous owner said. The current owner bought it because he figured a cap was on the way.

Asked if he regretted buying the Senators in the first place, Bryden responded: "If I had been able to see a 162-cent dollar and the rate of escalation of players' salaries that, in fact, occurred in that decade, then I certainly would not have done that."

CBC

Alfredsson et. al? Well, they are just like their fans, expecting to be a dynasty in the next second. Though if they were to become that dynasty, they would expect to cash in!

I cant say what I'd like to here, but I think its enough to say, win one cup, then you'll have your CBA payback.

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sam I Am said:
Pointing to the occasional exception is a ridiculous form of argument. The fact remains: the wealthy teams overwhelmingly outperform the have-nots.

Frankly, I'm sick of Detroit, Colorado, Dallas and the like consistently stocking up on star players each season. Look at their combined records over the decade since the last CBA is signed--it's just plain unfair.

Was it unfair when the Habs, Isles, Oilers, Flyers and Bruins dominated the years 1970-90. And their domination was a helluva lot more than what we've seen from the Stars, Avs, Wings, and Devils over the past decade ???

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Bottom line is the NHL only care about getting cost certaintly. Plenty of fans here have been brainwashed into thinking this is about fairness, when it is and always has been strictly about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->