Deal On Table: NHL, NHLPA pondering 6-year CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
NHL, NHLPA pondering 6-year CBA

"There could be an 11th-hour breakthrough in negotiations to save the NHL season. A league source told Sun Media last night that talks to get a new collective bargaining agreement in place took a major turn yesterday in Chicago when the NHL Players Association introduced the possibility of a six-year agreement which would include a salary cap under certain circumstances."

Read more here:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Sports/2005/01/20/904136-sun.html

Crows*

WOW THIS IS PRETTY insane

I sure hope and pray to god that this is legi.. if so the NHL WILL TAKE THIS. THIS IS A FORM OF SYSTEM BRIAN BURKE proposed... hopefully.

PRAY

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

gobolt7 said:
I would feel much better about this if we had a confirmation from Larry Brooks. :D

Or the Hockey Maven - Stan Fischler.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
judging Daly's body language yesterday I come away feeling that he's letting the ''pa'' sell its new offer out of respect for the process .

I love the hybrid offer mentioned in some articles yesterday , but I think the nhl will want the cap to be a guaranteed system after 3 years

this offer in the most recent article seem to allow the triggering of a cap in year 3 if salaries are too much of a pctg. of rev's .I'd be leary to sign off on that if i'm the nhl because the nhlpa doesnt believe / trust the nhl's definition of revenue in some cases. I could see the players ''strike'' in year 3 if the nhl decides to impose a cap by doing some creative accounting in their favor .

trying to be an optimist here , but its hard.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I'd say it's about 50-50 for the season to start. If the season starts then good for you. If the season starts many european teams will be in trouble. I can't seem to make up my mind what my thoughts are in this situation. I'm confused. :help:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Way too much room to fudge this. Just imagine, no players file for arbitration. All of them accept their qualifying offers. Not a single holdout takes place.

Until after the expiry date.

And then you could have the owners, spending massively, trying to show huge salary increases, offering more than the minimum, making huge free agent signings, etc.

Nope, I don't believe there's going to be any hybrid deal. It's either going to be a cap, a tax, or none, and it's going to be the same for the entire agreement.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Padawan said:
I'd say it's about 50-50 for the season to start. If the season starts then good for you. If the season starts many european teams will be in trouble. I can't seem to make up my mind what my thoughts are in this situation. I'm confused. :help:

I hoped that if the lock-out would end then it would end sooner, that would have been much much better for us. Now who will care about the playoffs in Europe? I've got a feeling that it will be one gigantic anticlimax.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Im surprised no one else noticed this bombshell:

"Goodenow won't be on hand for today's session, but Bettman could be there."

So, hes gone from being "not invited" by the PA pres. to being completely out of the loop now. Gold! :handclap:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I thought it was encouraging just to see Daly and Saskin together meeting the media. Hopefully the first steps towards a negotiated settlement. At least they are talking and apparently in a constructive tone.

Lanny MacDonald*

PecaFan said:
Way too much room to fudge this. Just imagine, no players file for arbitration. All of them accept their qualifying offers. Not a single holdout takes place.

Until after the expiry date.

And then you could have the owners, spending massively, trying to show huge salary increases, offering more than the minimum, making huge free agent signings, etc.

Nope, I don't believe there's going to be any hybrid deal. It's either going to be a cap, a tax, or none, and it's going to be the same for the entire agreement.

My exact thoughts. The next three years would be a joke and give the league zero credability. I would hope that the league looks at the big picture and has the smarts to consider what the preception of the league would be if the deal they make does not solve any problems.

Personally I don't think these "hybrid" offers fly. I don't know many successful businessmen who have the attitude of, "okay, we'll try your idea for three years and if it doesn't work, we'll try my idea". Successful business stake out a plan that they are certain will lead to survival and then success. If the NHL has indeed been bleeding to the point they are in need of a transfussionI seriously doubt they are going to go for a system that will "possibly" allow them to have cost certainty, "if the conditions continue". Its a load of garbage and won't fly IMO.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Any "hydrid" deal I see is a severe luxury tax starting at 58% and going to an elevated hard cap of 71% (that would be around $40 mil and $50 mil) with that hard cap coming down through the years of the deal from 71% to 63% or something to phase out the luxury tax and lessen the immediate blow to the players. Coupled with revenue sharing increases as the luxury tax is phased out. I only see a grandfathering in the institution of the desired cap.

I'm sure the league will offer up some exemptions to the cap (a franchise player) and increased free agency in exchange for further lowering qualifying offers, increased buyout priviledges (lower percentage), an end to hold outs and an end to the current arbitration system (abolish it or give the teams completely equal power in the process).

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I hate to be a buzzkill, but I agree with PecaFan and Iconoclast. If the owners were really hurting as much as they've claimed, they can't accept a hybrid deal that keeps three more years of the same system and then maybe triggers a cap starting in the fourth year. I could see some sort of luxury tax with a fairly high hard cap system, but it would have to go into effect now, not in 2008.

Lanny MacDonald*

tantalum said:
Any "hydrid" deal I see is a severe luxury tax starting at 58% and going to an elevated hard cap of 71% (that would be around $40 mil and $50 mil) with that hard cap coming down through the years of the deal from 71% to 63% or something to phase out the luxury tax and lessen the immediate blow to the players. Coupled with revenue sharing increases as the luxury tax is phased out. I only see a grandfathering in the institution of the desired cap.

I'm sure the league will offer up some exemptions to the cap (a franchise player) and increased free agency in exchange for further lowering qualifying offers, increased buyout priviledges (lower percentage), an end to hold outs and an end to the current arbitration system (abolish it or give the teams completely equal power in the process).

Now that hybrid I would consider. That one makes me think it could work. But to think that a deal of "three years of this, and then we'll do that, but only if this doesn't work", seems to be stupid and poorly thought out. It grasps of desperation and all the creativity of a 16 year old barganing to "go to lake with her friends when she is already grounded". Fix the problem or you'll have a bigger one on your hands. The fans will scrutinize this deal like crazy. If its not well thought out, it will be picked a part and the league will look like a third rate operation (its already down to second rate in my estimation).

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The owners have already said that ANYTHING other than a cap and cost certainty won't work.

They'll never sign something where they could just end up losing more money for an indeterminate number of years, and maybe not get that cost certainty.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PepNCheese said:
The owners have already said that ANYTHING other than a cap and cost certainty won't work.

They'll never sign something where they could just end up losing more money for an indeterminate number of years, and maybe not get that cost certainty.

No. If you listen to them they never say they won't accept anything other than a salary cap. They call it cost certainty. The only ones who call it a salary cap are fans and players.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
trahans99 said:
If they do a hybrid, they better get a hard cap for the 4-6 years and the 1-3 better have a very tough lux tax w/ threshold under 40m (38m) and 24% rollback. If not, i say NO DEAL!

Thats probably what they are looking at. If after 3 years salaries exceed a certian percentage compared to revenues a hard cap will kick in.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
go kim johnsson said:
No. If you listen to them they never say they won't accept anything other than a salary cap. They call it cost certainty. The only ones who call it a salary cap are fans and players.

Semantics.

If you want to pretend they don't want a cap, that's your business.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PepNCheese said:
Semantics.

If you want to pretend they don't want a cap, that's your business.

Don't put words into my mouth, I never said that either. I just said the owners never said they want a salary cap. I'm sure some creative thinker out there can come up with a cost certainty outline without it being a salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad