Deal imminent, perhaps next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
The Iconoclast said:
I have never liked nor considered that aspect of the whole "draft pick penalty" concept, but now that you mention it in that contect it might help curb one of the biggest contributors to the over-spending done by some owners, that being fan pressure. I don't mind that now. Consider me a convert.
:yo:

The problem with the idea is the implementation of the penalty. With RFA's, one team compensates, and the other is compensated. The picks don't cease to exist, they transfer from one team to the other.

If you incorporate a draft penalty in a luxury tax system, you have a compensating team that needs to 'lose' a pick, but there isn't any one team that you can point at that should be compensated - in truth, the entire other 29 teams are the ones that should be compensated. Furthermore, since picks are commonly traded between teams, an offending team could trade their high first round pick away and dodge the penalty until next year.

My solution would be to penalize the offending team on draft day by dropping their highest pick __ spots - regardless of whether it be their own pick or one that the acquired in a trade or via compensation.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Boltsfan2029 said:
Want to eliminate fan pressure? Don't mess with draft picks. Punish teams that go over the cap by penalizing them points in the standings. Playoffs are where the money is made, playoffs are where the fans see the best hockey, playoffs are where the players win the Cup. I can't think of anything that would shut down a big spender faster than to hamper his team's chance at the playoffs. Imagine how quickly the fans would quit screaming for the team so spend money if it meant possibly playing golf instead of hockey come April.

Radical, they'll never do it, of course, but sure would be effective. :)

But the one's who you are hurting with that idea is the players. I know right now that is what most want to do, but the teams busts its butt all season long. They fight off injuries, etc. and in the end they have a stupid owner or GM who decides he wants to trade for a guy who pushes them over the cap. It might not push them out of the playoff's, but rather they lose home ice advantage or play against a team they never win against. The only ones that situation has hurt is the players. The players who worked to earn their spot. The owner and GM doesn't care because they still made the playoff's. But take a few draft picks from them and maybe they might think twice before making the trade

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Icey said:
The owner and GM doesn't care because they still made the playoff's. But take a few draft picks from them and maybe they might think twice before making the trade

I have to disagree - if a team loses home ice advantage, there's a chance that it won't have as many home playoff games and that most definitely would impact the owners, right in the wallet.

I have a feeling that quite a few teams who make trades for the big bucks players who would take them over the cap won't care all that much if they lose a draft pick or two.

And, yes, it would hurt the players, and that would put pressure on the GM/owner to not make moves that will push them over the cap.

Like I said, it's radical and unrealistic and it will never happen. I'm just pointing out that, IMO, it would work. That doesn't make it the best option, just another one.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Boltsfan2029 said:
I have to disagree - if a team loses home ice advantage, there's a chance that it won't have as many home playoff games and that most definitely would impact the owners, right in the wallet.

I have a feeling that quite a few teams who make trades for the big bucks players who would take them over the cap won't care all that much if they lose a draft pick or two.

And, yes, it would hurt the players, and that would put pressure on the GM/owner to not make moves that will push them over the cap.

Like I said, it's radical and unrealistic and it will never happen. I'm just pointing out that, IMO, it would work. That doesn't make it the best option, just another one.

Maybe in the old system, but in the new system draft picks and development are going to be the #1 priority because GM's know that they won't be able to buy players at the trade deadline anymore. Trade Deadline day will come and go without anyone even knowing about it in years to come.

Why do you think so many teams are changing their AHL affiliation or starting their own? Because development will be vital to any teams success, much more than it ever was in the past.

But why do you think that a team almost never presented an offer sheet to a RFA of another team? The cost? Draft picks. Teams don't want to lose draft picks, they are too valueable. Money can be saved on other players and in other ways, but once you lose a draft pick its gone. I think they are more valuable then you realize.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Icey said:
Maybe in the old system, but in the new system draft picks and development are going to be the #1 priority because GM's know that they won't be able to buy players at the trade deadline anymore. Trade Deadline day will come and go without anyone even knowing about it in years to come.

Why do you think so many teams are changing their AHL affiliation or starting their own? Because development will be vital to any teams success, much more than it ever was in the past.

But why do you think that a team almost never presented an offer sheet to a RFA of another team? The cost? Draft picks. Teams don't want to lose draft picks, they are too valueable. Money can be saved on other players and in other ways, but once you lose a draft pick its gone. I think they are more valuable then you realize.

I'm sure you're absolutely right. Remember:

Like I said, it's radical and unrealistic and it will never happen.

Radical, they'll never do it, of course,

I just threw it out there, tried to make it clear I wasn't serious about it. I'll try not to let it happen again! :)

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Yeh so you people really think that Bill Wirtz et al really cares if Toronto or any other rich team loses a draft pick or points in the standings if they spend too much? Too funny.. given the choice between those ridiculous penalties and cold hard cash into a fund that would be dispersed amongst the cheap owners, which do you think would UNANIMOUSLY be approved?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Boltsfan2029 said:
I'm sure you're absolutely right. Remember:

I just threw it out there, tried to make it clear I wasn't serious about it. I'll try not to let it happen again! :)

Sorry, did mean it come across like that. But you are right in that this league needs something radical and from out of left field. When you just continue on with the way things are is when things get stagnet and we get to where we are now.

I just think draft picks will become more valueable than a few points in the standings. Especially if those points don't make a difference to a team who has already run away with the division title.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
shakes said:
Yeh so you people really think that Bill Wirtz et al really cares if Toronto or any other rich team loses a draft pick or points in the standings if they spend too much? Too funny.. given the choice between those ridiculous penalties and cold hard cash into a fund that would be dispersed amongst the cheap owners, which do you think would UNANIMOUSLY be approved?
How can Bill Wirtz (et. al) unanimously approve something by himself? If 16 owners like the idea, it'll pass regardless of what Wirtz & Co. think.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
EndBoards said:
How can Bill Wirtz (et. al) unanimously approve something by himself? If 16 owners like the idea, it'll pass regardless of what Wirtz & Co. think.

Plus, if no one agrees with Wirtz, they could always "accidentally" trip over the powerstrip that all of his various life-support and death-cheating devices are plugged into :D

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Icey said:
Trade Deadline day will come and go without anyone even knowing about it in years to come.

Good Lord -- what are TSN and Sportsnet going to do for programming that day? :eek: This is a national calamity -- for the good of that gripping day of television ("Breaking news -- Marc Bergevin just traded to Vancouver for a bucket of pucks") this new CBA must be stopped! :biglaugh:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
EndBoards said:

I think the point of my post was that one of those options would INDEED be unanimously approved, not that it HAD to be. I'll leave it up to you figure out which one would be.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Icey said:

I'd have to disagree. I think there will be just as much movement. After all, teams will be dumping contracts, teams with room will be jumping on guys because the other teams have to move them, etc. Veteran players in the last year of their contract will be more valuable than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad