Deal imminent, perhaps next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So says some sources from both sides, if the reporting from one Philly area paper is to be believed. The driving force, according to the article, is sponsers who have said that if no deal by June 15 they will take their money elsewhere:

Sanfilippo: Suddenly, NHL faces pressure to deal
05/22/2005

There may not be a ticker-tape parade planned, but it appears the NHL and the NHL Players’ Association may finally come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement before school lets out for summer. Sources from both sides have expressed optimism that a deal is near and that a major announcement could come as soon as next week, if not the week after.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14570433&BRD=1675&PAG=461&dept_id=18170&rfi=6

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I think we should e-mail Eklund about this. He might have some insight, if he's not too busy interviewing Gomez in Alaska or something.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is about what I expected. A 3rd party with some actual power and say rose up and said something. I just wish this happened 6 months ago. Bettman apparently told the sponsors something that isn't coming to fruition.

Lanny MacDonald*

Well, that's not a real glowing article but at least its something positive and reality based for a change. Not sure I can believe it though. I have it from two expert sources that we are still 18 months from a resolution. If you disagree you're just wrong, according to expert opinion. I'm just not sure who to believe anymore.

:dunno:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
The Iconoclast said:
Well, that's not a real glowing article but at least its something positive and reality based for a change. Not sure I can believe it though. I have it from two expert sources that we are still 18 months from a resolution. If you disagree you're just wrong, according to expert opinion. I'm just not sure who to believe anymore.

:dunno:
And who would your expert sources be?

WC Handy*

markov` said:
The lockout is gonna last a least another 200 days IMO. I don't know how people can get optimistic at all... the NHL isn't going anywhere with Bettman and Goodenow.

Is there something in their physiological make ups that makes it impossible for the two to come to reach a deal?

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
McKenzie is optomistic, and now this rumour. This is nearing an end, and the NHL will have a deal in place to ensure a sane offseason and a great 05/06 NHL season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Egil said:
McKenzie is optomistic, and now this rumour. This is nearing an end, and the NHL will have a deal in place to ensure a sane offseason and a great 05/06 NHL season.

Right.

You don't have a 14-hour meeting and then have an 8-hour, unscheduled meeting if nothing was getting done. That doesn't happen. At all.

It's been since Mike Gartner entered the room that everyone has gotten their stuff together.

WC Handy*

go kim johnsson said:
Right.

You don't have a 14-hour meeting and then have an 8-hour, unscheduled meeting if nothing was getting done. That doesn't happen. At all.

It's been since Mike Gartner entered the room that everyone has gotten their stuff together.

Especially when you consider the history of meetings between these particular groups.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WC Handy said:
Especially when you consider the history of meetings between these particular groups.

No. it doesn't happen. That simple. They may waste our time because we keep refreshing tsn.ca but they're not going to have 20 hours of meetings in 2 days just to waste time. If either side if going to try and win a PR war that's not the way to do it.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
I still remember the last time people thought there was a deal imminent. Not gonna get screwed over by these 2 morons again by getting my hopes up just yet.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
go kim johnsson said:
Right.

I'm trying not to be overly optimistic (i.e., the deal won't be announced in the next few days, perhaps even a couple of weeks), but I agree completely. It’s simply impossible to have marathon meetings like that and not make *some* progress. And, frankly, IMO you don’t start having those marathon meetings unless you’re over the hump as far as major issues go. If you’re still working on those, the sides take breaks (as in days) between meetings to analyze, plan, draw up counter-proposals, etc. The only time you stay start going at it steadily like this is when you’re coming to a mutually acceptable middle ground on issues that have been agreed upon to some extent, i.e., if it’s been decided UFA age is to be lowered, the marathon session addresses agreeing on the new age; if their road trip per diem is to be changed, now you hammer out a middle ground as to the new amount, etc.

I think both sides are finally aware it is absolutely imperative that 2005-2006 start on time. I think they have finally realized if they're talking about possibly delaying or cancelling another season, they’re actually talking about the possible demise of the league itself. I honestly don’t think either side wants to see that happen.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
chiavsfan said:
I guess I will be the first to warn people...

Don't hold your breath...
and take everything you read in the papers with a very big grain of salt.

That about covers it
When has the media ever been wrong about the progress of the talks, oh wait a minute.....

Da Game

Jan 27, 2005
On an Island
Check this out.

HN Staff

According to a top source to [email protected], the NHL & NHLPA are currently holding a secret meeting, which started off this morning.

As our source put it, "They aren't wasting anytime on either side. They want this done A.S.A.P."

Stay tuned, as there will be more details to come.

They say a deal is done.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah cuz that site certainly looks like the most credible I've ever seen :shakehead

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Da Game said:
Check this out.

They say a deal is done.

you're gonna want to link that better. that link won't work the way you want it to

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Right.

I guess that once the PA agreed to cap/linkage and the two sides started talking revenue streams/player costs the rest might fall into place easily. I think (hope/pray/wish) that the hard part is done and now the details need to be hammered (and that could still take a few weeks).

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
From that site
Also, stop by the chat room today at 3:00pm eastern standard time, as we will have some great insiders to update us on the CBA talks.
I want to see who these "insiders" are.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
19nazzy said:
From that site

I want to see who these "insiders" are.
Tie Domi, Jeremy Roenick and Larry Brooks, Al Strahan, Stan Fischler in a round table discussion on the facts as they know them to be true ..

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:
Tie Domi, Jeremy Roenick and Larry Brooks, Al Strahan, Stan Fischler in a round table discussion on the facts as they know them to be true ..

probably eklund, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad