Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Top Shelf said:
What exactly is so wrong about the owners wanting to make money? The NHL is a business, the owners are in it to make money - not break even and certainly not to lose dough.

I am certainly not going to apologize to the players if I were an owner and we are offering them 55% of total revenues plus revenue sharing - all of which could be negotiated upwards if the players would buy into this system.

What revenue sharing?There is no centralized pool of revenue

Crazy Lunatic

Russian Fan said:
He took the best out of the NHLPA proposal.

That's like picking through a bucket of crap looking for the best piece.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
MojoJojo said:
The problem with this is that the owners are pretty shady about declaring all of their revenue. If they were more forthright about their finances I could see such a system working.
Bill Wirtz based on his Big Market city should be paying the same amount in REVENUE SHARING to the small non-hockey markets as Toronto, Philly and Colorado are supposed to by the Bettman theory of Hard Cap and Linkage..

and not leading the charge pretending you are a struggling non-hockey market, that is barely surviving unless you RECEIVE assistance ..

Every other Big market team should do the same as Wirtz does and lower ticket prices to its fans and hold out its hand for help when their teams resemble Wirtz's current team on the ice in performance ..

That's your linkage Big Market teams in the new CBA to Bill Wirtz PROFIT Line ..

....which of course is complicated by the fact that he refuses to show the NHL his books .. which should almost be manditory if you are one of the 8 teams that is forcing the issue of linkage by the players to a Revenue figure that you refuse to declare even to your own side in this dispute.

Forcing the NHL to implement penalty clauses in its Proposal to protect against hidden Revenue by Owners ..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Top Shelf said:
That argument doesn't fly anymore when this was included in the owner's last proposal:

"JOINT AUDIT CONTROLS FOR CALCULATION OF CLUB REVENUES

-- Each year's accounting will be performed by an independent accounting firm jointly selected by the NHL and the NHLPA.

-- Mandatory $2 million fine and loss of 1st Round Draft Pick for first Club offense for failure to disclose required financial information.

-- Mandatory $5 million fine and loss of three (3) 1st Round Draft Picks for second Club offense for failure to disclosed required financial information. "

Link
and the reason that the clause had to be a part of the NHL proposal in the first place is because the practice of NOT REPORTING all revenue by owners existed and was discovered ..

X0ssbar

The Messenger said:
and the reason that the clause had to be a part of the NHL proposal in the first place is because the practice of NOT REPORTING all revenue by owners existed and was discovered ..

Link?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
The Messenger said:

The owners have never been required to report revenue under any CBA or league mandate. So, you're essentially accusing them of failing to do something they're not required to do.

The real reason it was added was to give the players an assurance that all revenue would be counted. Do you believe the players would prefer a CBA that let the hiding of revenues go unpunished?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CarlRacki said:
The owners have never been required to report revenue under any CBA or league mandate. So, you're essentially accusing them of failing to do something they're not required to do.

The real reason it was added was to give the players an assurance that all revenue would be counted. Do you believe the players would prefer a CBA that let the hiding of revenues go unpunished?
That is not completely true ... The NHLPA does not want to enter a partnership if they do not trust the figures ..So that is no reason not to open them now ..

If both sides agreed to a independent Auditing firm to control the figures that both sides trusted then there would be no need to have clauses to have penalties against Revenue Hiding in the first place ..

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Top Shelf said:
What exactly is so wrong about the owners wanting to make money? The NHL is a business, the owners are in it to make money - not break even and certainly not to lose dough.

I am certainly not going to apologize to the players if I were an owner and we are offering them 55% of total revenues plus revenue sharing - all of which could be negotiated upwards if the players would buy into this system.

Make the numbers upwards and maybe the players would buy into it. But you should apologize, it's a terrible deal from the player's perspective and here's why.

Would the owners get together and invest $20 million in marketing if it would bring in an extra $30 million in revenue? Should they? Hell yes. Will they? Nope. Since $16.5 million of that would go to the players, the owners would be out a total of $6.5 million if they did.

Owners have much less incentive to act in the best ineterests of the game and the sport. What do they care if revenues go down? Salaries will automatically go down and they will apparently get a chunk of playoff revenue so that they won't have an overall loss.

If you take out the provisions to lower the cap and ranges but still let it go up if and when revenues increase, the players would be more interested. And the owners would actually be responsible for going out and increasing revenues.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
RangerBoy said:
Gary Bettman has already won this lockout.
Really? So the NHLPA agreed to a new CBA with a cap? When did that happen?

Last I heard, the NHLPA was still saying they would accept a cap. Perhaps I napped longer than I thought...

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
RangerBoy said:
What revenue sharing?There is no centralized pool of revenue

There is a centralized pool of revenue. National T.v. Contracts for the UYS and Canada. While the US tv contract is questionalble the Canadain ones are not. There is also all the Merchandising which i heard generates like 800 million dollars. If these numbers are accurate then they could eassily take out 200 million and spread that among the bottom 10 teams tehn split the rest equally.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
wazee said:
Really? So the NHLPA agreed to a new CBA with a cap? When did that happen?

Last I heard, the NHLPA was still saying they would accept a cap. Perhaps I napped longer than I thought...

The players have until sunday to accept a cap on their terms or sept 9,2005 an impasse will be declared and the last offer made will be instituted. Given that the league is the only one presenting proposals these days the players will have no legs to stand on at the NLRB meeting in the fall. The league will have a mass exodus of players from teh union ranks crossing the line and then the union will be broken. The owners conservative estimates have been placed at 50% but could be as high as 90% of the players who cross the line. This has been the plan from the start and anyone who questions it is blind.

In Sept a Minority owner of the Atlanta Thrashers told the press the plan and was cencored by the league for it.

The players are being lead to oblivion by Sideshow Bob and will pay the price down the road.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
Chayos1 said:
The players have until sunday to accept a cap on their terms or sept 9,2005 an impasse will be declared and the last offer made will be instituted. Given that the league is the only one presenting proposals these days the players will have no legs to stand on at the NLRB meeting in the fall.

OR, the NLRB rules in favor of labor, as they do in 90% of the cases, and the owners become vulnerable to lawsuits from individual players for losses incurred.

The league will have a mass exodus of players from teh union ranks crossing the line and then the union will be broken.

OR, the players simply vote to decertify and start to apply antitrust law in their contract dealings with the owners.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Other Dave said:
OR, the NLRB rules in favor of labor, as they do in 90% of the cases, and the owners become vulnerable to lawsuits from individual players for losses incurred.

OR, the players simply vote to decertify and start to apply antitrust law in their contract dealings with the owners.

OR the NHL wins and puts in its own CBA which is much harsher than the PA could have negotiated. Much more likely.

And what do the players do for the three years or more it takes an antitrust case to work its way through the courts? Play under the owners' CBA?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
why would they wait til sept 9 to start impasse proceedings ?

get the ball rolling so that the league is open for business before the usual entry draft time (late june)

I could care less how they determine the draft order

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Other Dave said:

The best PA court case would be against Goodenow for violation of fiduciary duty and malpractice. Love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->