Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ktownhockey said:
You love Zack Parise alot eh?

why do you stick up for him so much?

I think he's a good player, but you make him sound like an NHL captain next year.
I am a devils fan that thinks he will top out at 60-70 points.......that is far from loving him considering most think he will be an 80 point player.

I stick up for any devils player, they get trashed or disrespected enough on this site I will stick up for them even if I am wrong.

Whats wrong with posting his qualities. That isn't my fault he is all of those things and probably will be a captain in the NHL in the future.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
JasonMacIsaac said:
I am a devils fan that thinks he will top out at 60-70 points.......that is far from loving him considering most think he will be an 80 point player.

I stick up for any devils player, they get trashed or disrespected enough on this site I will stick up for them even if I am wrong.

Whats wrong with posting his qualities. That isn't my fault he is all of those things and probably will be a captain in the NHL in the future.

I just always see you hyping Parise... thats fine I believe you about his qualities....

It's fine if you like him... just was wondering why... now I know

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Flame_Star_Devil said:
This argument drives me crazy. He's 5'11" which isn't even all that small. There are many players in the NHL who are Parise's size who excel at the game. Parise has heart, and that's why he'll succeed.

Here is a guy who gets it! Parise is small compared to guys who are 6'4. However, he is willing to play tough when needed, and his on ice vision, play making, and overall skill level are incredible. I think he will prove all the nay sayers wrong. He may not jump in to the lineup and lead the team, but with some playing time and experience, he will no doubt be the cornerstone for the Devils for the next 10+years. He is IMO, a Dougie Gilmour type player. The same in size and body shape, but where Dougie was a little meaner, I think Parise has more skill and upside. That is a hefty comparison, seeing as Killer is one of favorite players of all time.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
meehan said:
Some just do better then others and I feel Conte has done better then most with what he has had to work with(low picks).

Then our positions are not much different from one another! :D

I'm not sure he is as quietly respected as you say. I have the impression he is by far the most talked about and worshiped scout both in mainstream and "specialty" circles.

And that's where I would disagree he deserves that special attention.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He could have some rough roads ahead especially in the AHL where he might have lousy linemates.

ehh, by the time dawes gets to the AHL he could be playing with some good players...hugh jessiman could be in the AHL by then and he's described himself as a "playmaking powerforward" before, which would be good for dawes i think. creates space and gives him someone who can feed him the puck (and score on his own if necessary). a guy like korpikoski might be in there in a few years too...kinda depends on what the rangers do with their euro prospects, they have a fair amount of good ones at this point but it's unknown whether they'll try to go right into the NHL or have to spend a year in the AHL or what...not to mention some solid prospects playing in the NCAA (and a few euros in the CHL).

he won't be without any talent in hartford once he gets to that level...probably will have more support than he does at kootenay actually

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mazmin said:
I like Dawes. Good Winnipeg kid. The Rangers stole him in his draft. He's a sniper and needs to be on a top line with a playmaker. He could have some rough roads ahead especially in the AHL where he might have lousy linemates. I just can't see him as a checker. I'd recommend he stay in the WHL as an overager. He'll take a while, but the determination is there. He will make it to the NHL. Just takes a few years.

Parise will probably be 6 feet and 200lbs by the time he's 25, so size isn't a big problem. Just like Dawes he needs time to improve his all around skills and strength. Jersey is lucky to have him and Travis Zajac (another good Winnipeg kid) developing together in the NCAA.

just 2 quick notes...

dawes is still 19 so he isn't an overager...unless you meant he should stay in juniors this year and the following (imo its too early to decided what he should do in 2005-06 right now)

also parise and zajac won't be developing together in the ncaa since parise turned pro and will either be in the nhl or ahl next year

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ktownhockey said:
Zack Parise = Alyn McCauley minus the concussion problems.....
No he isn't....Alyn McCauley was a 4th round pick in a debatable draft. Parise was considered to be a top 10 pick. Alyn McCauley had under a PPG in the CHL during his draft year.....this is the CHL mid 90's.....Parise was close to 2 PPG in his draft year. Alyn McCauley was average at the WJC.....Parise dominated.

Fender

Jun 24, 2002
I don't know exactly why, but Parise reminds me of Mike York. I think that he will pan out to be of the same ilk. Roughly the same size and the same skill set.

Maybe that's why the Oilers passed up on him and traded the pick to NJ. Personally, I was pissed when the Oil traded that pick away. :mad:

I think that NJ picked up a very nice player. But the 70-80 pts a season is off base IMO.

I think he will rack up 50-60 pts a season and would be a player that every team would love to have on their roster.Doing everything, but not great at one particular facet of the game,al a Mike York.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fender said:
I don't know exactly why, but Parise reminds me of Mike York. I think that he will pan out to be of the same ilk. Roughly the same size and the same skill set.

Maybe that's why the Oilers passed up on him and traded the pick to NJ. Personally, I was pissed when the Oil traded that pick away. :mad:

I think that NJ picked up a very nice player. But the 70-80 pts a season is off base IMO.

I think he will rack up 50-60 pts a season and would be a player that every team would love to have on their roster.Doing everything, but not great at one particular facet of the game,al a Mike York.
Ding Ding Ding.....we have a winner. I think Parise is a slightly more offensive version of Mike York.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Parise isn't small. Brian Gionta, Brian Rafalski, they are small. Brian Gionta is also one of our best two way players, scoring the 2nd most goals on the team. Brian Rafalski is one of the better power play QBs in the game, and his points over the past few years show it (he actually outscored Niedermayer quite a bit).

Zach Parise doesn't have a size problem. He's average sized. He's also tough, strong willed, and is a leader. He has the tools to succeed at a very high level in the NHL.

I'm not going to say he is going to win the Calder, Selke, Hart, whatever. I am going to say he's the best Devil prospect in a very, very long time. He's better than Patrick Elias, Scott Gomez, David Hale, ect. In fact, do find a better prospect, you need to go back to Scott Niedermayer.

Yes, he's still a prospect. But he's a damn good one. He doesn't just show talent like an Alexander Daigle player. He "has the heart of a winner" according to TSN.ca. Talent and heart, sounds like a great player to me.

He's going to be a two way player, but still has great scoring ability. I predict top 15-20 scorer.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
BHLCommish said:
5 posts later and you're still a know nothing homer
You should think before you write stuff like this down. Jason may exagerrate from time to time but he is still one of the more knowlegable people on these boards when it comes to prospects. Is he a homer, yea sure, does he know nothing? Absolutely not.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What can anyone tell me about Dawes? I know very little, but i picked him up in a fantasty keeper league. Thanks in advance.

well i can't give you a great scouting report as i've only really seen him play in that one WJC tournament...but i know the basic scouting reports. he's a pure sniper, at least at this moment...lights the lamp really well, one of the top goal getters in the WHL, for the first half of the season, was averaging a goal per game. not as many assists...i don't know if that's because he has crap teammates (kootenay doesn't seem like a great team at this moment to me, but i don't know for sure) or he's just not much of a setup man. could just be that he's the guy getting all the passes

he's not big which is part of the knock on him. the rangers have him listed at 5'8 175, though i don't know if that's accurate now. but i hear he's built real solid...he can be tough on the puck and go into traffic and take care of stuff. not the outright fastest skater but has good quickness and mobility it seems.

doesn't take a lot of penalties (i think he won an award for most sportsmanlike or something) so one question is if he's quite aggressive enough for a small guy...like how theo fleury played to make up for his small size. but everyone's different so dawes might find another way other than aggression.

hardworker, lot of heart...pure goal scorer. size questions. that should about sum it up

BoltsnRags

Jun 16, 2004
Let me ask the Parise - Dawes question differently

Who is the more valuable player based on where they were picked?

Parise - 1st round pick (17th)
Dawes - 5th round pick (149th)

As a long time suffering Rags fan, I am ecstatic that this question is even being asked. The Rags lack snipers in their system so I am also happy this kid is viewed as a sniper first. I am not taking anything away from Parise but I would rather have chosen Dawes in the 5th then Parise in the 1st. Upside may be higher for Parise but not by as wide a margin as their draft positions should warrant.

BTW...the size argument only matters because the refs let the clutching and grabbing exist. If they called obstruction then smaller skilled players would play a bigger role in the NHL and I truly hope they call the rules as they are written. The trap sucks and has no pace in hockey.

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
There is nothing wrong with the trap. There is alot wrong with the way the on ice officials do their job. As a Ranger fan , I am not in love with the trap, I like a more wide open game, but the trap has been around for a long time. When the Habs used it extensively in the 70's no one complained, because the officiating was better, and the calibre of player was better. Now you have players who can't skate worth a damn playing in the league whose only defense against any skilled player is the clutch and grab. That is what the real problem is.BTW if Parise was 6' 3" and 215, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Last edited:

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Size is just a number...

http://www.newjerseydevils.com/2004/html/fanzone/20transcipts/hale_tr.php

Q: How does it feel to have Zach Parise, your former teammate at North Dakota, join the Devils' organization? Have you spoken to him since he was drafted/signed? What can you tell us about his game? Steven-Englishtown, NJ & Bret-Frankford, NJ

A: I like the idea that the Devils look at the University of North Dakota hockey program and the players from there, especially Zach, because he is a top-quality player and I believe he can play at the NHL level really soon. Whatever level of hockey he steps into, he can raise his game to that level and never seems to dip down to a lesser level. Zach and I do keep in touch. When he signed with the team towards the end of the regular season, he came out to New Jersey and we went out to dinner. He seemed really excited and very nervous, but I think everyone is nervous when they first sign. Zach is a very skilled forward with an extremely accurate shot. He is deceivingly tough and strong in the corners. I can remember in college, he would shake guys off that weren't expecting his strength. That really helps him create space.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
FYI The Rangers have signed the 5-8 19 year old canadian to play on the big club today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad