David Tanabe said rumor is that players passing deal is........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stronso

Piker
Sep 16, 2003
TUCSON/BROOKLYN
Visit site
50/50

Coyotes defenseman David Tanabe said there is no guarantee that the majority of the rank-and-file members of the union will sign off on the new agreement, which will include a salary cap.

"I get a sense that everyone wants to play," Tanabe said. "Whether or not that means a CBA gets done is still up for question.

"I still think that a deal needs to get by the players' vote and some are rumoring that it is 50/50 among the players as to whether or not it gets by the player vote." - Arizona Republic 7/3/05

If they dont pass this CBA I will give up on the NHL - flame away if you 'd like but I have reached my limit with this BS

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If it is 50/50 the union will be broken. At this point I would hope the owners acheives impasse legally, this way they WILL use replacement players because they know the players who really want to play will report to camp in September, and they would never have to agree to a deal with the union, in fact the union would probably be dissolved.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
I don't think for a second that the players will vote down the new cba.
That would be yet another wrong decission. The NHL would declaire an impass and impose the new cba and any player not reporting is NHL DEAD.

The NHLPA back itself into a corner and their is simply NO WAY OUT.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
RLC said:
I don't think for a second that the players will vote down the new cba.
That would be yet another wrong decission. The NHL would declaire an impass and impose the new cba and any player not reporting is NHL DEAD.

The NHLPA back itself into a corner and their is simply NO WAY OUT.

I would imagine that after all the work it took to get a deal to be approved for vote that if they did vote it down that would be the end of the union as the NHL would move forward with replacements. If this deal doesnt get approved it is almost like making the same mistake they made in february again. Do they think if they continue to wait the deal would get better?

No way this doesnt get passed.

Yus

Feb 4, 2004
It would be hilarious if the players rejected the offer. Could you imagine the PR nightmare that would be?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
theres probably a certain pctg of players who just dont ''get it'' .

obviously the player reps for each team and ol' bob will have some influence on the members when voting day approaches --and depending on the mood of some players --the overall vote could be close

Tiki

Mar 1, 2002
Goo Lagoon
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
If it is 50/50 the union will be broken. At this point I would hope the owners acheives impasse legally, this way they WILL use replacement players because they know the players who really want to play will report to camp in September, and they would never have to agree to a deal with the union, in fact the union would probably be dissolved.

I would hope thats the case. If the player turn down the upcomming deal, time to go with an impase.

The big question is for JR. If the players turn it down, then can we call you guys spoiled and say you don't care? :D

Lanny MacDonald*

Tanabe is delusional. This is going to be a landslide in favor of what ever package is put in front of the players. The rank and file are not stupid enough to lose another year of their limited careers. As pointed out by anothe poster, if they vote this down the majority of players never earn another dime from the NHL nor the NHL affiliated minor league teams. Tanabe has never come across as a very smart individual and I think this is just another instance where he supports that observation.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
The players aren't the brightest bunch, but there's no way this baby gets voted down. From city to city the past few weeks, there have been stories about players stepping up their workout regiments in anticipation of a new CBA. Why would they start to bust their asses harder than before if they were going to turn it down?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tiki said:
I would hope thats the case. If the player turn down the upcomming deal, time to go with an impase.

The big question is for JR. If the players turn it down, then can we call you guys spoiled and say you don't care? :D

Based on what JR has said before, I wouldn't put it past him for him to be somewhere and totally blast the union for voting this down.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ya....I sincerely doubt it would get voted down. Tanabe can say whatever he wants. But if by some crazy turn of events it did get voted down...wow...that would probably be the end of the NHL. The players have already looked like morons in the media and this would be the final nail in the coffin.

But like I said, I don't see anyway that happens.

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
dunwoody_joe said:
If the players vote it down, it will be a long time before another CBA is completed. Perhaps another wasted season!

If the players vote it down there won't be another season for sure and possibly more and there won't be a fan in me any more. Enough is enough.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Humm, can everyone imagin this press conferance

Gary Bettman announces a new deal cba.

Bob Goodenow now stand at the mic. and says.

"Never in the the history of professional sports have so few done so much for save a sport."

The NHPLA, after demanding for years to see the real books have been forced to step in and save the league. The complete mismanagement of team butgets and overall completely out of control league expenses have forced the NHLPA to step in and save hockey for the world.
The new CBA demands that team owners reduce all saleries by 24%
set a NHLPA imposed salerie cap of 38million this demand is under the threat of court action where it is believed the NHLPA will prove the case of gross financial mismanagement and starting a world wide bidding war to vastly overpay hockey players. The players were dupped into these contracts and never given the true assesment of near bankruptcy these contracts put the beloved peoples NHL.
Well everyone ! the NHLPA says today " We are tired of the owners mismanagement and we won't take it anymore"

can't you just see Bob spin the new CBA that way :)

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
It's difficult to even imagine that the players could be so brain dead as to vote down this deal. If it should happen - then they deserve the fate in store for them.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It will pass. What's more likely is there'll be a whole bunch of players abstaining from the vote.

But they won't vote "no". Only a few of the very very stupid would do that.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
if i was a player, i wouldn't necessarily ratify this deal either. what would sway me, however, is that proverbial bone that has yet to be thrown...the 04-05 contracts. the NHL is getting too greedy at this point for my liking.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Stronso said:
50/50

Coyotes defenseman David Tanabe said there is no guarantee that the majority of the rank-and-file members of the union will sign off on the new agreement, which will include a salary cap.

"I get a sense that everyone wants to play," Tanabe said. "Whether or not that means a CBA gets done is still up for question.

"I still think that a deal needs to get by the players' vote and some are rumoring that it is 50/50 among the players as to whether or not it gets by the player vote." - Arizona Republic 7/3/05

If they dont pass this CBA I will give up on the NHL - flame away if you 'd like but I have reached my limit with this BS
if they vote no, they can all fly out of NA now. cause they arent ever having a career in the nhl. and my guess is, all the young players and players who dont agree will leave the union and will sign on and play

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
jericholic19 said:
if i was a player, i wouldn't necessarily ratify this deal either. what would sway me, however, is that proverbial bone that has yet to be thrown...the 04-05 contracts. the NHL is getting too greedy at this point for my liking.
are you kidding. if they ever want to play again in na they better. also could you imagine how the canadian players would be welcomed back home after saying no to playing after a year off. :) its their fault the deal sucks for them. they made the mistake of thinking they could bully the owners. it back fired. grow a pair, suck it up and get back to work. i would love to see something like this happen in the real world, all the workers would just get pushed to the side and the company would get new ones. unfort, they have a special skill, so that cant happen. but like i said in my other post, i think the players union falls apart if a few stubborn(gee isnt that why the nhl has been struggling lately in america. cause stubborn nhl people didnt think anything was wrong) vets vote against it

Master Shake*

jericholic19 said:

Why honor the contracts? The players have nobody to blame but themselves. They cant cry for a do over.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Wow . . . JR may have only said it, but if this actually plays out the players may as well at the news conference drop their pants, turning around and tell us to pucker up.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Master Shake said:
Why honor the contracts? The players have nobody to blame but themselves. They cant cry for a do over.
yep, thats life. you take risks like this when you go on strike. i would love to see an nhl player talk to one of the manufacturing workers or plant workers in my town :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad