Confirmed with Link: David Quinn - New Rangers Coach (Officially official on 5/23)

How does your feels-o-meter rate this signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Hopefully, he will realize that soft Russians like Buchnevich don't win physical playoff series. Kucherov was useless vs. the Craps other than the PP. -6 in 7 games, 1 goal. Crawled under a rock. Of course Miller and McDonagh offensively were non existent. 1 point in 14 games combined vs. the Craps. True Ranger playoff form. At least McDonagh actually played defense as a -2 when the rest of the team were garbage. At Ovechkin has always been physical. One of the few Russians who actually can play, playoff style hockey. His team actually didn't let him down so far.

This is such a strange post when the Caps leading playoff scorer is one of those “soft Russians” and another one just put up two goals in a game 7.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
This is such a strange post when the Caps leading playoff scorer is one of those “soft Russians” and another one just put up two goals in a game 7.
The Cold War is still going on in some people’s mind... just because someone is Russian doesn’t imply anything about their game.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Hopefully, he will realize that soft Russians like Buchnevich don't win physical playoff series. Kucherov was useless vs. the Craps other than the PP. -6 in 7 games, 1 goal. Crawled under a rock. Of course Miller and McDonagh offensively were non existent. 1 point in 14 games combined vs. the Craps. True Ranger playoff form. At least McDonagh actually played defense as a -2 when the rest of the team were garbage. At Ovechkin has always been physical. One of the few Russians who actually can play, playoff style hockey. His team actually didn't let him down so far.

Soft anybody, not just Russians.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Thinking out loud...

Just because this may not be Quinn's 'dream job' (as BU was) does not correlate to a lack of success. In the same way, a coach or player that arrives in his 'dream' destination does not correlate to peak performance. If anything, that level of pressure may be too much to shoulder.

In short, I believe the following:

1. Quinn possesses the work ethic and integrity to go at this hard. It won't be for lack of effort.
2. Despite the BU pull to stay, he's fully invested. I didn't hear the tone of any uncertainty.
3. The new contract makes him set for life - and this is the ideal life/age bracket to take this challenge.
4. He's encouraged and comforted by familiar surroundings (management, personnel)
5. He understands the severity of what he's accepted. Perhaps a summary of points #1-4, without him blatantly saying it during the press conference - he's sad to leave BU, but the upside of NYR was too much to say no to.

Reactions: TheTakedown

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I know nothing about this guy. The only thing I don't like is it said in the paper today that Jack Capuano is a good friend of his and there's a strong possibility he'll wind up as an assistant coach. I don't want that bum anywhere near my team.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
FWIW: History of NYR coaches - and ages of when they took the job.
Quinn, Vigneault, Torts were all 51/52.

PS - Muckler at 54 looks 25 years older than Quinn at 52.

David Quinn - 51
Alain Vigneault - 52
John Tortorella - 51
Tom Renney - 49
Bryan Trottier - 46
Ron Low - 50
John Muckler - 54
Colin Campbell - 41
Mike Keenan - 44

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Can anyone summarize the interview he did with Kay?

In general he says the right stuff and seems to be pretty self aware of what it takes and how to go about his business, but the details are going to make it or break it

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
“Puck pressure, puck possession game that’s built around defense”

“Fast and physical, hard to play against”

“Chipping in the puck is not the kind of game we want to play”

“We want to get it out as quick as possible”

“Defense isn’t just played in the defensive zone”

“We want to make them uncomfortable and take away time and space”

Some quotes from the interview about what kind of system Quinn wants to play. I’m really liking what I’m hearing, especially the last quote. With AVs system we usually gave them too much time and space when they entered our zone which led to a lot of chances against. Hopefully Quinn isn’t just saying this and actually enforces it (which it sounds like he will)
I see Ryan Lindgren fitting PERFECTLY into this system. Wouldn’t surprise me if Quinn develops him into something really good, he’s a great skater and is very physical with untapped offensive potential.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

I see Ryan Lindgren fitting PERFECTLY into this system. Wouldn’t surprise me if Quinn develops him into something really good, he’s a great skater and is very physical with untapped offensive potential.

Bingo. Same thought on Lindgren.

Reactions: Rongomania

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Some quotes from the interview about what kind of system Quinn wants to play. I’m really liking what I’m hearing, especially the last quote. With AVs system we usually gave them too much time and space when they entered our zone which led to a lot of chances against. Hopefully Quinn isn’t just saying this and actually enforces it (which it sounds like he will)

Lindgren embodies everything that this team wasn't under AV.

Hes far from the best piece we received from the sell off of 2018 but he was easily my favorite. Darkhorse for the C when it becomes time to name one. Will certainly wear a letter.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

What a truly great point. That would be so HUGE for us, there’s our ‘punisher’.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Forgot to mention I think he’ll really help Bigras. He’s our most underrated prospect, injuries derailed him but he has high IQ and he’s probably the best skater we have in the prospect system. Looks like he’s floating at times

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Hes far from the best piece we received from the sell off of 2018 but he was easily my favorite. Darkhorse for the C when it becomes time to name one. Will certainly wear a letter.
Around the trade deadline with the McD/Nash rumors, the one piece I ALWAYS asked for in return as part of a deal was Lindgren, I’ve been following him for a while and he is so good, don’t look at his offensive stats, he’s good offensively, see Skjei’s college stats. Lindgren will become very good

Sure there’s concerns of Quinn’s teams underperforming, but he definitely knows how to develop players. He’s the coach for the rebuild, don’t look at his contract. 5 years isn’t anything, we can fire him any time. This also implies the Rangers are looking at a longer rebuild which is a plus, better than rushing this

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Forgot to mention I think he’ll really help Bigras. He’s our most underrated prospect, injuries derailed him but he has high IQ and he’s probably the best skater we have in the prospect system. Looks like he’s floating at times

People have forgotten just how nicely his career was progressing before the rug got pulled out from under him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Al asked Gorton about analytics.

Gorton says we look at a lot of analytics and Quinn has a "thirst" for them.

1239704331_gina-carano3.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

So I'm guessing you see him as more of a Schmidt or a Sauer than a Girardi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad