David Perron - Do we make a significant offer?

David Perron - Do we make a significant offer?

• Total voters

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Unless Perron is tracking for like 80pts and we signed him to a 1-year deal, I don't see how he can possibly be flipped at the TDL. If you're serious about signing him, he's going to want money and term. The whole thing about rentals at the TDL, for contenders who are typically at the cap, they go for players who they don't need to commit past the upcoming playoff round or maybe two at most. Nobody is going to want Perron for 5 more years at a likely $6m per.

Anyhow, my answer is no. While I am at it, my answer is no to:

1. Perron
2. Statsny
3. Neal
4. Nash

I don't see getting him at a 1 year deal, like you said it will be at least 4 years. I see trading other wingers that he replaces for picks and prospects and then trading Perron in 2 or 3 years.

I don't think he'll get 6 million and I wouldn't offer him that. Marchessault is a better and younger player and he signed for 5 million. So, in theory Perron is worth between 4 and 5 million.

But, I don't think he wants to come to this disaster anymore.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
David Perron, especially at 31 years of age, isn't going to get you a top 6 center any more than Max Pacioretty is going to get you one. If you expect to get a top 6 center in return for a winger the name of that winger had better be Ovechkin or all you'll be getting is a bottom 6 pivot or a prospect.

No you get assets that hopefully get you a center: late 1st/2nd/prospect type assets.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
No you get assets that hopefully get you a center: late 1st/2nd/prospect type assets.
That's taking the scenic route to a top 6 center for nothing. If you need a center, target one and get him. Don't keep picking up wingers that you hope can be converted to centers or that you can maybe hopefully trade for one. Other teams trade for centers all the time. I don't buy the argument that "centers won't sign with the Habs". Why wouldn't they, considering our depth at the wing? If I were a center I wouldn't mind playing between Galchenyuk and Drouin or Gallagher and Pacioretty. There's gold in them thar hills. If a hump like Desharnais could get fat and happy with Max riding shotgun what could a center with actual talent accomplish?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
That's taking the scenic route to a top 6 center for nothing. If you need a center, target one and get him. Don't keep picking up wingers that you hope can be converted to centers or that you can maybe hopefully trade for one. Other teams trade for centers all the time. I don't buy the argument that "centers won't sign with the Habs". Why wouldn't they, considering our depth at the wing? If I were a center I wouldn't mind playing between Galchenyuk and Drouin or Gallagher and Pacioretty. There's gold in them thar hills. If a hump like Desharnais could get fat and happy with Max riding shotgun what could a center with actual talent accomplish?

Which center will sign here?

If you trade for a center you're going to have to give up 1 or more of those wingers you mentioned. Why not have Perron as their replacement. That is, unless you want to trade picks and young players, which I don't.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Imagine if in 2016, Bergevin didn't trade for Shaw, and instead signed Perron and Radulov to multi year deals. You can add a Pacioretty for a centre trade if you want.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Perron - Plekanec - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Byron

So much closer to good.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Imagine if in 2016, Bergevin didn't trade for Shaw, and instead signed Perron and Radulov to multi year deals. You can add a Pacioretty for a centre trade if you want.

So much closer to good.

That's why I don't make fun of even the Hemsky signing. At least he tried to sign an offensive player that isn't a grinder. Players like Staal had bad years and then bounced back. One would have to look closer at the Perron situation to see if that's the case. But the game is being played differently. It's opening back up to more skilled players, and closing to players like ... Alzner.

Radulov worked so well, then Bergevin doesn't get him resigned because he didn't think he deserved/was worth an extra million. Radulov was a godsend and it will be difficult to find another player like him without giving up major assets. I just don't see it happening.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The regular season may be opening back up to more skilled players but if you've watched any playoff games it's clear that brute force still matters in games that matter. The Bruins are beating the crap out of Toronto's skill players every time they touch the puck. It's not happenstance; they are being targeted and eliminated every time they get near the puck. The Winnipeg - Minny series is also a take-no-prisoners affair. These two teams are wailing on each other from start to finish. The Habs team that I've been watching the past few years would be destroyed in this sort of environment. They aren't tough enough or resilient enough for their skill to make any difference. Gallagher is about the only guy we have who can get hit and bounce back. The rest of them shrink and disappear with each successive hit they absorb.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The regular season may be opening back up to more skilled players but if you've watched any playoff games it's clear that brute force still matters in games that matter. The Bruins are beating the crap out of Toronto's skill players every time they touch the puck. It's not happenstance; they are being targeted and eliminated every time they get near the puck. The Winnipeg - Minny series is also a take-no-prisoners affair. These two teams are wailing on each other from start to finish. The Habs team that I've been watching the past few years would be destroyed in this sort of environment. They aren't tough enough or resilient enough for their skill to make any difference. Gallagher is about the only guy we have who can get hit and bounce back. The rest of them shrink and disappear with each successive hit they absorb.

This may or may not be the case.

But, just starting in our conference, i.e. worrying about trying to make the playoffs and get to the finals first, no team intimidates me physically. If we had Subban instead of no Webber this year, Markov, and Radulov, I would have liked to have seen us go up against these teams. It's the skill level that I'm most worried about.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Mitch Marner has skill but he's finding it difficult to utilize since he's spending half the game on his backside or with his face mashed against the glass. Skill is great but you still have to be a MAN to play this game. The Habs have got too many snowflakes. Whatever talent they bring to the table won't amount to jack squat if they can't battle the way Gallagher does. Perimeter-etty doesn't get much done in playoff games with a lot of hitting.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He was in a great Cinderella situation this year. An expansion team that gels this well with so many having career years. While maybe a few will continue to build on this year a number of the players that had great seasons for the Golden Knights will fall back to earth next year and I am betting Perron will be one of them. It's not often that a 29 year old (30 in a month) beats his previous career high by 16 points. Not likely to keep this level of production especially considering his injury history etc. He also does not address the need for a center or were you planning on trying him next?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He was in a great Cinderella situation this year. An expansion team that gels this well with so many having career years. While maybe a few will continue to build on this year a number of the players that had great seasons for the Golden Knights will fall back to earth next year and I am betting Perron will be one of them. It's not often that a 29 year old (30 in a month) beats his previous career high by 16 points. Not likely to keep this level of production especially considering his injury history etc. He also does not address the need for a center or were you planning on trying him next?

His previous high point total was 57. It's a 9 point drop off.

Many said Marchessault, the guy who will be 28 next year, had a fluke season last year and we shouldn't give up a 2nd for him...

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Unless Perron is tracking for like 80pts and we signed him to a 1-year deal, I don't see how he can possibly be flipped at the TDL. If you're serious about signing him, he's going to want money and term. The whole thing about rentals at the TDL, for contenders who are typically at the cap, they go for players who they don't need to commit past the upcoming playoff round or maybe two at most. Nobody is going to want Perron for 5 more years at a likely $6m per.

Anyhow, my answer is no. While I am at it, my answer is no to:

1. Perron
2. Statsny
3. Neal
4. Nash

At this point, I'd take ANY talent that wants to come here. If they're under 30/31 and at a reasonable price (except Tavares).

But NO UFA will want to come here anyways, so those of who don't want talent 30 and over don't have to worry.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
His previous high point total was 57. It's a 9 point drop off.

Many said Marchessault, the guy who will be 28 next year, had a fluke season last year and we shouldn't give up a 2nd for him...
Missed his 13-14 season but he is 30 and has more than his fair share of injuries and likely will be asking for a large contract and term. He is not what the team needs as a priority. Centers and puck moving dmen are what is needed. Where would he play? Who would be bump on the top 2 lines?

Also Marchessault is not really a comparable as Perron has been in the league since his draft year and has a large body of work. Marchessault is a late bloomer it looks like.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Missed his 13-14 season but he is 30 and has more than his fair share of injuries and likely will be asking for a large contract and term. He is not what the team needs as a priority. Centers and puck moving dmen are what is needed. Where would he play? Who would be bump on the top 2 lines?

Also Marchessault is not really a comparable as Perron has been in the league since his draft year and has a large body of work. Marchessault is a late bloomer it looks like.

I just think the reason some players are having career years/resurgences in their late 20s is because the game has changed and opened up and that suites their style. For example: Josh Bailey, Dustin Brown, Anders Lee, Gourde.

These players in their late 20s that are producing in Vegas: Haula, Karlesson, Reilly Smith, Marchessault, Neal, and Perron, is it really because there's no pressure? Is it a fluke? or is it because they're style of play (which includes speed) is suited for the changes in the game and that's why McPhee and his scouts went after them?

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

So much closer to good.

and, instead of trading 2 seconds to Chicago for Shaw, he could have traded one and taken on Bryan Bickell's contract for a year to get Terravainen. smh I was dying when I saw that trade go down.

But according to some posters, since Terravainen is a winger, we shouldn't have acquired him anyways.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ask yourself "is he a center?" and if you answer no, then no... Habs have no need for David Perron

Is that your policy for draft picks: only pick centers? This team needs all the quality assets it can get, whether at the draft or on the UFA market.

Take the best asset available, whether at the draft or the UFA market. The only difference between the draft and UFA's is that the chances of a quality UFA asset wanting to come to this mess are slim. Draft choices on the other hand, have no choice.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Let me put it this way, which lineup looks better?

a)
Pacioretty Danault Hudon
Byron Drouin Gallagher
Scherbak Galchenyuk Lehkonen
Carr DLR/Froese Deslaurier

b)
a 2nd round pick (from trading Byron)
+
Pacioretty Danault Hudon
Perron Drouin Gallagher
Scherbak Galchenyuk Lehkonen

c)
a 2nd round pick (from trading Byron)
+
Pacioretty Danault Hudon
Lehkonen Drouin Gallagher
Scherbak DLR Galchneyuk

Last edited:

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Perron has been great in Vegas and I think he's found the ideal place and situation for himself, especially playing with a chip on his shoulder all season. Ultimately, I'd rather not make him an offer because he's turning 30 in may and I think we should be looking into investing more in younger players, but if he keeps the same level of production for the next 2-3 seasons, which I am highly skeptical to begin with, I see no reason to not go hard after him.

Ultimately, I'd rather not, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of Bergevin's main offseason targets if C's like Tavares and Statsny don't sign here.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

So much closer to good.

If I'm not mistaken, Bergevin's order for UFAs that year was Lucic, Perron, then Radulov. He was rejected by the first 2 and later bungled the re-signing of Radu.

I'd be very surprised if Perron would change his mind.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Do we make an effort to sign David Peron if Vegas can't afford him?

I say yes. We need as much talent as we can get.

It gives us another asset. We can move other wingers for the assets needed to get a center/left d.
Wtf?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I just think the reason some players are having career years/resurgences in their late 20s is because the game has changed and opened up and that suites their style. For example: Josh Bailey, Dustin Brown, Anders Lee, Gourde.

These players in their late 20s that are producing in Vegas: Haula, Karlesson, Reilly Smith, Marchessault, Neal, and Perron, is it really because there's no pressure? Is it a fluke? or is it because they're style of play (which includes speed) is suited for the changes in the game and that's why McPhee and his scouts went after them?

Karlsson is 25, why not go for him? He's on a million a year currently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad