David Perron - Do we make a significant offer?

David Perron - Do we make a significant offer?

• Total voters

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
I wouldn't overpay but a top 6 winger that's french helps the team. Some GM will offer him an insane contract from this season's production and regret it the following season.

3 years @ 3.85 million

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Missed that boat... Should have been brought in last year. Now he'd be a "buy high" bet, not one I'd make at this time.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Vegas is one of the most bizarre cases of players in their physical prime with chips on their shoulders in a no-pressure environment, all topped with a great players coach and good goaltending. Aside from some young guys like Theodore or Tuch I just wouldn't bet on any player repeating or building on what they've done. Not even Marchessault nor especially Karlsson.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Briere part 2.0

Except that Briere was 36, Perron is 29.

Not all cases of signing French Quebecers are the same. In this case, you do it if it's using that he's from here as a way to get him here, as opposed to overpaying (in trade or cap hit) to bring a player here because he's from here.

I would want to increase out level of assets, whether through the draft or UFA market, regardless of position going forward.

But he probably doesn't want to come here, to this mess, anymore anyways.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
But can he fight?

But, can he play Center? (Ideally he's a winger)
But, does he have the right Attitude?
But, does he play with régulalluité?
But, does he bring enough CHaracter?

Bergevin might wet himself by thinking of a line made of Drouin - Danault - Perron

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Vegas is one of the most bizarre cases of players in their physical prime with chips on their shoulders in a no-pressure environment, all topped with a great players coach and good goaltending. Aside from some young guys like Theodore or Tuch I just wouldn't bet on any player repeating or building on what they've done. Not even Marchessault nor especially Karlsson.

Eh, Miller, Schmidt, Marchessault and Smith are exceptions in my mind. They've always had amazing underlying numbers (especially Marchessault). Smith was one of the few top guys not playing for a payday either. Neal has always been strong too, he's 30 though. Maybe they don't have the same success when there's real pressure, but those 4 were classic examples of really good players that were getting underplayed and undervalued by old-school thinking. Once they joined a team that had to play them, they flourished.

Reactions: Peanut

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Except that Briere was 36, Perron is 29.

Not all cases of signing French Quebecers are the same. In this case, you do it if it's using that he's from here as a way to get him here, as opposed to overpaying (in trade or cap hit) to bring a player here because he's from here.

I would want to increase out level of assets, whether through the draft or UFA market, regardless of position going forward.

But he probably doesn't want to come here, to this mess, anymore anyways.
I fully expect to overpay to get him here just like we had to for Briere and I fully expect to pay a premium for an anomaly contract year, Perron is lucky to put up 45 pts in Montreal and that's if he stays healthy with is about a 10% chance. If MB wastes any time or money this offseason on anyone who can't play Top 4 LHD or Top 6 C he should be terminated on the spot

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I fully expect to overpay to get him here just like we had to for Briere and I fully expect to pay a premium for an anomaly contract year, Perron is lucky to put up 45 pts in Montreal and that's if he stays healthy with is about a 10% chance. If MB wastes any time or money this offseason on anyone who can't play Top 4 LHD or Top 6 C he should be terminated on the spot

We should have over payed for Radulov and if we have the opportunity to overpay for Tavares we do it. But we won't. 29 year old Perron definitely isn't someone you overpay for.

But, no UFA center is signing here. Sorry.

And, to get a LHD we'll probably have to trade 1 or 2 of our wingers.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We should have over payed for Radulov and if we have the opportunity to overpay for Tavares we do it. But we won't. 29 year old Perron definitely isn't someone you overpay for.

But, no UFA center is signing here. Sorry.

And, to get a LHD we'll probably have to trade 1 or 2 of our wingers.
100% agree we should've signed Rads and would be up for signing JT if we can, I just think Perron will use Montreal as leverage to drive up his price. I'm ok with tanking for another couple of years and getting our LHD/Cs through the draft rather than a quick fix that keeps us half pregnant again

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
No centers are going to sign here. We need assets to trade for centers.​
David Perron, especially at 31 years of age, isn't going to get you a top 6 center any more than Max Pacioretty is going to get you one. If you expect to get a top 6 center in return for a winger the name of that winger had better be Ovechkin or all you'll be getting is a bottom 6 pivot or a prospect.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I'm pretty sure we ask this every time he is available. It was a no when he was like 24 and it's a no now.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Unless Perron is tracking for like 80pts and we signed him to a 1-year deal, I don't see how he can possibly be flipped at the TDL. If you're serious about signing him, he's going to want money and term. The whole thing about rentals at the TDL, for contenders who are typically at the cap, they go for players who they don't need to commit past the upcoming playoff round or maybe two at most. Nobody is going to want Perron for 5 more years at a likely $6m per.

Anyhow, my answer is no. While I am at it, my answer is no to:

1. Perron
2. Statsny
3. Neal
4. Nash

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Unless Perron is tracking for like 80pts and we signed him to a 1-year deal, I don't see how he can possibly be flipped at the TDL. If you're serious about signing him, he's going to want money and term. The whole thing about rentals at the TDL, for contenders who are typically at the cap, they go for players who they don't need to commit past the upcoming playoff round or maybe two at most. Nobody is going to want Perron for 5 more years at a likely $6m per.

Anyhow, my answer is no. While I am at it, my answer is no to:

1. Perron
2. Statsny
3. Neal
4. Nash

He'll sign one of those guys and bozak

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
One thing this team needs is more RH shooters. We are heavy on LH forwards. I agree wing is not a priority and I wouldn't offer big term or dollars to Perron but if Pacioretty moves, and maybe another winger moves, adding a RH shooter, especially one who can play his off wing would fill a need.

Ideally, the team would add a RH top 6 C and a RH top 6 LW. We are heavy on LH forwards and that limits how our PPs run.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
After the season Perron just had, there is no way Montreal should make him an offer.

He will be looking at 4 year 20+ million dollar deals, any Habs offer would not even be close to that.

I guess if he was dead set on playing for the habs and was willing to sign some sorta 3-4 year, 12-16 millon dollar deal, I think it would be a smart move by the habs..but that aint happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad