David Meckler

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Can anyone tell me a bit about this guy?

He just signed with the London Knights leaving Yale. From stuff i've read he's a power forward type player who can score and fight, he's a golden glove winner... Anyone else have any info on this kid?

He's a Los Angeles Kings draft pick (5th round, 2006). Also is known for scoring the O.T. winner (in the 5th O.T.) against Union in the longest game in NCAA history.

Thanks in advance.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
never heard anything about him...but speaking of the knights....anyone know anything about their draft pick from the import draft HASANI? hes from switzerland and apparently a small but good scoring centerman, i need more info

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Kings are fairly high on him, kinda got passed over in the draft because he was at Yale and I think he had an injured shoulder or something.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
From Al Murray's HF Post Draft Interview
HF: You took David Meckler with your seventh overall pick. He played on an offensively challenged team at Yale last season, but what can he offer given the right environment?

AM: He played in the USHL two years ago and scored 30 goals. If you do the math in the USHL, very few guys ever score 30 goals. He was with Yale this season but he was playing the majority of the season with a broken wrist. The team hid that and it affected his overall ability to put points on the board. He is the potential shooter, who can finish around the net. We anticipate that he’s going to come back season with a hand that’s solid and a wrist that’s solid, which should lead him back to his scoring ways.

riseandfall9

Jun 7, 2006
Had the best shot at the Kings prospects camp. Hes a garbage type player with an Iginla shot and Iginla manner.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
never heard anything about him...but speaking of the knights....anyone know anything about their draft pick from the import draft HASANI? hes from switzerland and apparently a small but good scoring centerman, i need more info

ask me in September.
:D

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
He got interviewed and wanted to stress he's a goal scorer not a fighter, and for people not to look too far into the boxing thing, he did it to keep in shape. And by garbage player do you mean, he is willing to do the dirty work and gets alot of garbage goals?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Had the best shot at the Kings prospects camp.

If combining release and accuracy, Kopitar and O'Sullivan have better shots. Boyle has a much harder and accurate shot, but not nearly the release Meckler had. Just my opinion, of course.

X-SHARKIE

I saw Meckler durring his USHL days with Waterloo. I wasn't that impressed, the thing that stood out most to me was his instincts. The puck just seems to follow him on the ice, then you add that with his fine release, you have an opportunistic scorer with some grit.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I saw Yale (and Meckler) quite a bit throughout this past season. What do you want to know?

P. S. To the person comparing Meckler to Iginla: you're kidding, right?

He doesn't know what he's talking about so don't mind him. He saw him in practice and came to that conclusion. :shakehead

Now I would like to hear what you saw of Meckler when watching Yale.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
He doesn't know what he's talking about so don't mind him. He saw him in practice and came to that conclusion. :shakehead

Now I would like to hear what you saw of Meckler when watching Yale.

As Sharkie mentioned, Meckler's got good instincts. He has vesatility in that he can play both wing and center (he played both at Yale). While he's got some toughness and plays with some passion, I wouldn't necessarily call him a "budding fighter". He's good with the puck and can get it on net. He had to deal with a shoulder injury last season, which IMO inhibited him to fully display his shooting capability. He plays both ends of the ice efficiently too. I would've liked to have seen him shoot the puck more but as I mentioned, I think the shoulder injury may have limited him a bit in that capacity.

My guess is London will try to utilize him more as scorer than Yale did. He played on a line with Blair Yaworski and Michael Karwoski with the Elis and Meckler seemed (at times) to be more of the playmaker rather than the finisher. Yaworski and Karwoski are both good offensive players in their own right, which may partly explain why Meckler didn't put up big numbers.

I hope this helps.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Thanks for your input. I don't recall the last time a team had two players it just recently drafted skip college to play in juniors, and it appears both will be in the OHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad