David Bolland

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I'd like to get opinions from everyone on this 2nd round 32 overall in 2004 draft pick of Chicago.

Yesterday he had 4g 2a for 26g 32a 58p in 48 games this season

Parts of an article from LFP:

Bolland is one of the prize prospects who always plays his guts out. The Chicago Blackhawks, who drafted him early in the second round last June, have to be salivating at what this guy might do.

He's also one of those guys who always seems to take a back seat to someone else.

Take last night. Bolland's six points would normally have been automatic first star billing. But it only earned him a second star because Corey Perry had five goals and an assist. Bolland's linemate Danny Fritsche scored one goal and added five assists.

Bolland didn't care much about who was picked where or sharing his big night. He was beaming after the game and wanted to talk as much about Josh Beaulieu as he did about the goals and assists

Bolland is an energy-type player. He almost made the gold medal-winning national junior team this year. Blair Mackasey, scouting director for the team, said Bolland is the type of player that could be a cornerstone for next year's team.
He, too, felt Bolland is often overlooked because guys like Perry and Danny Syvret play with him. Last year, Bolland had 37 goals and it could have been the quietest 37 goals in history. He has 26 this season.

IMO he should have been on team Canada this year but I can't complain we won gold. But the experience he could have had this year would have had a huge impact on him playing next Dec. as he will no doubt be on team and possibly assistant captain or captain.

I think he has a better shot at making it in the NHL than Corey Perry or Rob Schremp for one simple reason: his game is safer to translate into the NHL level. I don't know who to comapre him to but his tenacity and fire will one day land him atleast on the 3rd line of Chicago, probable 2nd line impact player.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on him?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
trahans99 said:
I'd like to get opinions from everyone on this 2nd round 32 overall in 2004 draft pick of Chicago.

Yesterday he had 4g 2a for 26g 32a 58p in 48 games this season

Parts of an article from LFP:

Bolland is one of the prize prospects who always plays his guts out. The Chicago Blackhawks, who drafted him early in the second round last June, have to be salivating at what this guy might do.

He's also one of those guys who always seems to take a back seat to someone else.

Take last night. Bolland's six points would normally have been automatic first star billing. But it only earned him a second star because Corey Perry had five goals and an assist. Bolland's linemate Danny Fritsche scored one goal and added five assists.

Bolland didn't care much about who was picked where or sharing his big night. He was beaming after the game and wanted to talk as much about Josh Beaulieu as he did about the goals and assists

Bolland is an energy-type player. He almost made the gold medal-winning national junior team this year. Blair Mackasey, scouting director for the team, said Bolland is the type of player that could be a cornerstone for next year's team.
He, too, felt Bolland is often overlooked because guys like Perry and Danny Syvret play with him. Last year, Bolland had 37 goals and it could have been the quietest 37 goals in history. He has 26 this season.

IMO he should have been on team Canada this year but I can't complain we won gold. But the experience he could have had this year would have had a huge impact on him playing next Dec. as he will no doubt be on team and possibly assistant captain or captain.

I think he has a better shot at making it in the NHL than Corey Perry or Rob Schremp for one simple reason: his game is safer to translate into the NHL level. I don't know who to comapre him to but his tenacity and fire will one day land him atleast on the 3rd line of Chicago, probable 2nd line impact player.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on him?

Big surprise, you're hyping a Knights player. He'll be a 3rd liner from what I see. His skills translate to offensive success at the junior level (let's also remember who he plays for) but I don't see the same at the NHL level. I see an energy 3rd liner who could play 2nd line if needed. Good prospect, not great.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I see him making the NHL as a 2nd line guy that will be good at pretty much everything he does. The scoring skills are present but will they translate to the NHL. If his skills don't translate to the NHL he will be a 3rd liner but if they translate he will be on the 2nd line

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Super safe prospect with more upside than people think. He doesn't typically get first line PP time in London, but still puts up significant numbers. Take a look at pure even strength scoring in London, and you realize how effective he is.

I think his upside is 30 goal scorer at the NHL who is a tremendous two-way energy and character player. A winner. Could play as a compliment player on the top line, or a key guy on the 2nd line. Downside is a 10-15 goal scoring two-way player on a checking line. That is a helluva risk-reward when you compare him to most 1st round prospects.

By all accounts, was a top 12 forward at the tryout camp, and has been acknowledged as the last cut made. Scored in camp, scrimmage and exhibition, and in the Russia challenge series. The guy is a scorer and a coaches dream. Not a bad combination.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Kritty said:
Big surprise, you're hyping a Knights player. He'll be a 3rd liner from what I see. His skills translate to offensive success at the junior level (let's also remember who he plays for) but I don't see the same at the NHL level. I see an energy 3rd liner who could play 2nd line if needed. Good prospect, not great.

Big surprise, your making another dumb comment. I was simply asking for input from others and from what i've read so far others think even more of him then I do.
As for who he plays for, he doesn't play on the PP all that much so the majority of his points are 5 on 5. He's a much better player 5 on 5 than Schremp and is close to points total that Schremp has.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Bolland was my favourite prospect in last years draft and I was hoping the Canucks would take him. In the few times I've seen him he seemed a lot like a right handed Matt Cooke. Similar frame with the ability to throw surprisingly hard hits and he was definitely active with the stick after whistles. I'd have to see him more to assess his offensive potential though as right now I only have stats to go on.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I think Dr. Sens(e) explained it quite well. He's got the potential to be an elite third liner, but also has some potential to be a good complimentary player on a scoring line. I liken his game to Mike Fisher a lot, although his skating isn't quite that good. But he has better hands than a guy like Matt Cooke, who was mentioned earlier. He's a good goal scorer, but isn't a gifted and pure scorer, just a good one, and that could mean that his NHL production will be more in the 15-20 goals, 35-45 point range.

He's going to be the type of guy though, that could make a Team Canada for the World Cup/Olympics in the future, because he could be a great NHL grinder, with the scoring ability to be useful other than simply in a shut down role.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Super safe prospect with more upside than people think. He doesn't typically get first line PP time in London, but still puts up significant numbers. Take a look at pure even strength scoring in London, and you realize how effective he is.

I think his upside is 30 goal scorer at the NHL who is a tremendous two-way energy and character player. A winner. Could play as a compliment player on the top line, or a key guy on the 2nd line. Downside is a 10-15 goal scoring two-way player on a checking line. That is a helluva risk-reward when you compare him to most 1st round prospects.

By all accounts, was a top 12 forward at the tryout camp, and has been acknowledged as the last cut made. Scored in camp, scrimmage and exhibition, and in the Russia challenge series. The guy is a scorer and a coaches dream. Not a bad combination.

I'm pretty much in agreeance here.

I think he's got more NHL potential then people realize.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Bolland

Bolland is one of the best all round players in OHL, as stated during the 2004 draft he was the player with the most hockey sence in the draft.

Should be a 2nd line player in the NHL, all this players requires to make the jump is around 10-15lbs and he will be ready.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
GagneOwnsYou said:
You ask for opinions on the guy than post a page full of articles and hype?

What is it you really want here?

Feedback on the player I asked about. Whats your thoughts on him? Not smartass comments about me posting about the Knights. I post about the Knights b/c they have quite a few top prospects and are the best team in CHL.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
trahans99 said:
Feedback on the player I asked about. Whats your thoughts on him? Not smartass comments about me posting about the Knights. I post about the Knights b/c they have quite a few top prospects and are the best team in CHL.

I agree with those who said he has more offensive potential than some think and could be a 2nd liner in the NHL.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
another thing about Bolland is that he only had 8 goals in his rookie season with limited playing time in reg. season. but i saw him in the playoffs and he was the most physical Knights player hitting everything in sight as a 16 year old rookie. I didn't realize he had much offensive potential until last year. he works very hard for the majority of his goals, unlike Perry and Schremp who make their goals look effortless. I think overall game may translate better in the NHL than Perry and Schremp.

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
the back of my jersey reads BOLLAND

That being said he is never going to be a top line scorer. I think everyone has the right idea with 2nd line up side. The one thing I know is I won't be one of only a handful of people with his jersey next yr. I hope he does well but whoever he ends up playing for he will go hard every shift

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
BMWM3owner said:
Better then Ovechkin?

By hockey law if you are drafted by Washington you have no hockey sense. It's the rules.

Bolland is a potential steal/picked right at the right spot type guy. Expecting 1st line out of him is only for teams of the Pittsburgh Penguins of right now ilk. He has 2nd line abilities, but I have a feeling that you will probably see him as the skill player on a third line combo with time on the PP unit. It all depends on how coaching works when he plays.

NFM_Ray

London Knights said:
By hockey law if you are drafted by Washington you have no hockey sense. It's the rules.

Bolland is a potential steal/picked right at the right spot type guy. Expecting 1st line out of him is only for teams of the Pittsburgh Penguins of right now ilk. He has 2nd line abilities, but I have a feeling that you will probably see him as the skill player on a third line combo with time on the PP unit. It all depends on how coaching works when he plays.

I agree wholeheartedly. Bolland whilst a talented individual i feel will not be a big splash in the NHL.

Scooter2

Feb 2, 2004
Bolland

Bolland is a natural goal scorer + a strong smart two way player, not sure what makes you think he will not be good NHL palyer ( I'm guessing thats what you mean by splash/??).

If i was looking at the Knights and comparing Perry, Bolland & Shremp i would honestly say that due to Bolland playing both ends he will be the more successful player at the NHL level.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Scooter2 said:
Bolland is a natural goal scorer + a strong smart two way player, not sure what makes you think he will not be good NHL palyer ( I'm guessing thats what you mean by splash/??).

If i was looking at the Knights and comparing Perry, Bolland & Shremp i would honestly say that due to Bolland playing both ends he will be the more successful player at the NHL level.

I love Perry and Schremp but I agree. Bolland is a safer bet.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's impressed me everytime I watched him.
A lot more skilled than he's given credit for I think. Should be a solid NHLer and one that a successful team wouldn't wanna trade away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad