DaveG's First Round Mock

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This is my first ever attempt at a mock so feel free to critique or offer up some pointers that could help me for next year.

1) Chicago Blackhawks:
Pick: RW) Pat Kane (London, OHL) - The most explosive offensive player in this draft, look for the Blackhawks to pick him first overall and look for them to potentially have him in the lineup as soon as next season. Low to Moderate Risk, depending on rules enforcement.

2) Philadelphia Flyers:
Pick: C) Kyle Turris (Burnaby, BCHL) - Gifted offensively and solid defensively, given a year or two the Wisconsin bound BCHL standout should be ready to play in the top 9 in the NHL. Although he doesn't have ideal size, he's a low risk player and can contribute in most any role.

3) Phoenix Coyotes:
Pick: LW) James van Riemsdyk (U-18, USNDP) - Probably the most likely to be a complete package forward of the "big 5" at this point, he will likely be given a couple years in college before being expected to make any kind of impact with the team that selects him. Low risk, potential power forward but at worst I would expect him to be a solid checking line forward.

4) Los Angeles Kings:
Pick: C/RW) Jakub Voracek (Halifax, QMJHL) - While defense is LAs primary need, they go best player available here and select Voracek . Very solid playmaking forward, he could fit nicely into LAs top six in the long term.

5) Washington Capitals:
Pick: RW) Alexei Cherepanov (Omsk, RUS) - Potentially the most gifted scorer and most NHL ready player in the draft, the lack of a transfer agreement makes me think the top 4 teams will be skeptical of the talented Russian. However Washington has had success with selecting and developing their Russian players and I see them taking Cherepanov here. Main risk here is due to transfer concerns. If Washington passes, expect them to select Alzner instead of Cherepanov.

6) Edmonton Oilers:
Pick: D) Karl Alzner (Calgary, WHL) - With not much separating the next few prospects after "the big 5" Edmonton picks the best player at the position they need to fill the most. With a fairly solid group of young forwards, Alzner offers a solid option as a two-way defenseman for the Oilers. Could be ready to play in the NHL as soon as next season, however he will likely be given another year of junior hockey if the team that drafts him makes any noise in free agency.

7) Columbus Bluejackets:
Pick: C) Sam Gagner (London, OHL) - With needs at seemingly every position, expect Columbus to take best player available with every pick this year. At #7 that's Gagner, at least from the standpoint that he has the fewest question marks around his game. Could become a solid playmaker for Nash or Zherdev once he's NHL ready.

8) Boston Bruins:
Pick: C) Angelo Esposito (Quebec, QMJHL) - Boston has shown a willingness in past years to overlook character issues and select players on the basis of tallent. I see that being the case again this season as the player that was hyped for the past couple years as being the best in the draft stops his free-fall at #8. High risk pick, but if he pans out he could be the best player in the entire draft. A pick of Ellerby would also not surprise me from Boston.

9) St Louis Blues:
Pick: C) Logan Couture (Ottawa, OHL) - The Blues have some nice young depth at every position so I see them taking BPA with every pick this year. Couture seems to me like the type of pick that St Louis loves to make. If they overlook his issues with staying healthy they will have added one of the most well rounded forwards in the draft. If they pass on Couture, I expect them to select Ellerby.

10) Florida Panthers:
Pick: D) Keaton Ellerby (Kamloops, WHL) - Florida has some nice prospects at every position, but lacks depth throughout their organization. I can see them going many directions, but I see Ellerby being their target at #10 if he's still around. Ellerby has a lot of potential, but needs a few more years of development before he's close to NHL ready. If Ellerby is already selected I expect them to take Hamill.

11) Carolina Hurricanes:
Pick: C) Zach Hamill (Everett, WHL) - Carolina has quality depth at every position but could use some top end players at every position asside from in net. Word is that Canes scouting is VERY high on Couture, but I don't think he gets past St Louis so Hamill is a good choice as next in line. Hamill was the leading scorer in the WHL and is an underrated two-way player. A solid complimentary playmaker, he should be a fixture in a teams top 6 in about 3 seasons at most, not much of a risk to me as his two-way game combined with his playmaking skills should have him as a 3rd line center at worst. Don't be shocked if Carolina goes a bit "off the board" to select Petrecki as they tend to go a bit against concensus in terms of their scouting, to mixed results.

12) Montreal Canadiens:
Pick: D) Ryan McDonagh (Cretin-Derham, USHS) - Solid two-way defenseman that can play in virtually any situation, winning Mr Hockey Minnesota this past season. I don't expect him to be a top pairing defenseman but he seems to be low risk and is likely the best player available at #12.

13) Toronto Maple Leafs:
Pick: D) Kevin Shatenkirk (U-18, USNDP) - While I can see the Leafs going pretymuch any direction with this pick, I think they will take the player that's potentially the best offensive defenseman in the draft. While Shatenkirk is a bit of a risk, if he's given time to develop he should be a top 4 defenseman for whichever team selects him.

14) Colorado Avalanche:
Pick: LW) Billy Sweatt (Colorado, WCHA) - While Colorado could use some goaltending help in their system, I don't see them taking one until the mid-later rounds. Sweatt offers them a very safe two-way forward prospect that could potentially be even more. While he's probably NHL ready right now, I see the Avs giving him at least another year in college before bringing him into the system.

15) Edmonton Oilers:
Pick: LW) Lars Eller (Frolunda, SWE) - Having drafted a virtual sure thing at defense earlier I think Edmonton will look to add some punch to their group of forwards. Eller fits the bill here as something of a wildcard pick with a ton of natural tallent.

16) Anaheim Ducks:
Pick: C) Mikael Backlund (Vasteras, SWE) - Anaheim is prety deep at most positions but they don't seem to have a lot of top end players in their prospect pool at forward other then Ryan. I see Backlund both fitting their organizational needs and being arguably the best player available here.

17) New York Rangers:
Pick: D) Nick Petrecki (Omaha, USHL) - I see the physical defenseman both fitting the Rangers needs here and being the best player available at this spot in the draft. While he's something of a raw prospect I see him as having the highest upside of any defenseman in this draft. His offensive game has been coming around since december and he has above average skating for a guy of his size.

18) Calgary Flames:
Pick: LW) Maxim Mayorov (Leninogorsk, RUS) - It's been said a million times before and it holds true again now. Calgary needs scoring depth. I see Mayorov's slide stop here as a player that was potentially thought to be a top 10 pick fits Calgary's needs and is the best player available at this point in the draft. If he can find his consistency he should be a top 6 forward.

19) Minnesota Wild:
Pick: D) Jonathan Blum (Vancouver, WHL) - Buried under the depth at Vancouver the Wild likely got a better look at him then most teams with their former first rounder Thelen playing for the Giants. His thin frame might be cause for concern but once he can put about 20lbs on he should be a solid offensive defenseman at the NHL level. Medium risk

20) Pittsburgh Penguins:
Pick: RW/C) Brandon Sutter (Red Deer, WHL) - Pittsburgh has a lot of depth under age 25 in their organization so I see them mostly going with BPA this draft. While their primary need would be a physical dman, I see Sutter being their choice here. Could be a top 6 forward at the NHL level.

21) Phoenix Coyotes:
Pick: C) Joakim Anderson (Frolunda, SWE) - While the Coyotes are already seemingly very deep at center, I see Anderson being the best player available at this point in the draft. I see him being more of a two-way forward in the NHL then anything else and he would be nice depth to add to a group of young centers that includes Mueller, Hanzal and Kaigorodov.

22) Montreal Canadiens:
Pick: RW) Oscar Moller (Chilliwack, WHL) - I see him being a prety safe bet to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level eventually. Just when and how good he turns out to be seems to be the question.

23) Philadelphia Flyers:
Pick: D) Alex Plante (Calgary, WHL) - One of the few offensive defensemen in this draft with good size for the NHL game. While consistency is an issue making him something of a risky pick and he isn't as physical as his frame could allow him to be, he's a solid skater and should make the league at some point.

24) St Louis Blues:
Pick: LW) Dave Perron (Lewiston, QMJHL) - One of the higher risk prospects in the draft, Perron also a ton of offensive upside and has been a fast riser this year. Taking the relatively safe pick earlier with Couture I see the Blues rolling the dice here and hoping to hit a home run with the talented forward.

25) Vancouver Canucks:
Pick: LW) Max Pacioretty (Souix City, USHL) - Vancouver is in need of offensive depth and a bit of size with physicality in their top 6 forwards. Thankfully for them Pacioretty, the USHL rookie of the year, offers both and should be a solid pickup at #25. I see him being a fairly low risk for this point in the draft, if he doesn't make it as a top 6 type he could still be an effective checking line player.

26) St Louis Blues:
Pick: D) Colby Cohen (Lincoln, USHL) - He posesses solid size for the NHL game and has solid offensive instincts. The question is weather his defensive game comes around. He's not afraid of the rough stuff as seen from droping the gloves with Petrecki, so he could be a fairly rare case of the offensive defenseman with physicality. If he pans out he could be a steal this late in the first round.

27) Detroit Red Wings:
Pick: C) Colton Gillies (Sakatoon, WHL) - More of a checking forward then an offensive threat, I still see him being the best player available at this point in the draft that will likely be taken in the first round. If he develops any kind of offensive game he could be a steal, at the worst he should be a checking line player.

28) Washington Capitals:
Pick: D) Ian Cole (U-18, USNDP) - Has good size for a defenseman and is very sound defensively. Not a sexy pick by any meens this is still the type of player you need to add to any blueline corps. Don't expect an outstanding offensive game out of him but don't expect him to be a bust either.

29) Ottawa Senatios:
Pick: F) Simon Hjalmarsson (Frolunda, SWE) - Highly skilled and explosive offensively, he's also quite undersized and needs to work on controling the puck when the play gets rough. That said, he had an outstanding U-18 and I think his tallent is just too much to pass up at this point in the first.

30) Edmonton Oilers:
Pick: D) Mark Katic (Sarnia, OHL) - He posesses excelent skating ability, offensive creativity and work ethic. The biggest things I see keeping him out of the top 15 are the lack of a hard shot from the point and a very small frame by NHL standards. If his body can hold up he could be a solid pickup, if not he'll be just another AHL star that can't cut it at the highest level.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think the reasoning in some of these picks is very intelligent. Though I'm a little uneasy about Toronto. With so many offensive defencemen locked in the lineup, more pressing to get into the lineup. I'd expect them to go for a forward that can help that area of the team. Backlund, Eller, or Mayorov seem likely targets. Though they may decide to go with the best player they think is there and stick with that decision.

Good job though.

koeltrain

Oct 27, 2005
E-town
16th pick belongs to Anaheim.

Good mock though. People will come and tell you they don't want their teams to pick like that (or there's no way that will ever happen). I think in general the order of the picks is pretty good though. Who knows what player is high on what GM's list. Anything can happen at the draft and IMO this is just as likely as any of the other mocks I've seen.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
16th pick belongs to Anaheim.

Good mock though. People will come and tell you they don't want their teams to pick like that (or there's no way that will ever happen). I think in general the order of the picks is pretty good though. Who knows what player is high on what GM's list. Anything can happen at the draft and IMO this is just as likely as any of the other mocks I've seen.

Damn, forgot about that trade entirely, I'll make an edit although I can still see Anaheim selecting Backlund, thanks for the catch

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Honestly I was thinking prety hard about Mayorov for the Leafs at their spot, they haven't shyed away from taking Russians in the past. Main concern to me with him is the lack of a transfer agreement.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Honestly I was thinking prety hard about Mayorov for the Leafs at their spot, they haven't shyed away from taking Russians in the past. Main concern to me with him is the lack of a transfer agreement.
Yeah they'd probably stay away from him. I think if the draft played out from 1-12 the way you have above that the Leafs would probably go with Backlund at 13. Then again if they were to take a defenseman, Shattenkirk would probably make me the least angry, for what it's worth.

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
Great effort and good reasoning.

As a Canucks fan, I wouldn't be the least bit displeased to see Pacioretty end up in a Vancouver uniform.

Divine Wind

Alex Plante is anything but a good skater. His positioning and reach help him a lot in this area. He will need to improve his skating if he plans to succeed at the next level.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
As a Blues fan, I would be very happy with this draft. Cohen is the kind of defenseman we need (5-6 years away) Perron and Couture are also super players. Cohen is a mystery to me, because there is no consistency in their ratings of him. Nice job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad