Dave Steckel

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Was a fairly high rated prospect for the '01 Draft and was drafted by LA in the 1st round.

Fastforward 6 years later, he's now in Washington's system. He had 61 points (30 goals) this year for Hershey, and currently has 12 points (6 goals) in 11 playoff games.

He was considered a bust but now he seems to be playing some pretty good hockey.

He's a huge guy (6'5, 220) and seems to have a good scoring touch.

Does he have a future in Washington/the NHL? He's only 25.

Can he be a 20-25 goal scorer at the NHL level? Or a career minor leaguer?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He definitely should be in the mix for a third- or fourth-line spot for the Caps next year. He didn't register a point in his handful of games with the Caps this year but he was a good energy guy and showed some flashes. There is a bit of a logjam among the Caps' bottom six forwards but if he plays with the same consistency and intensity that he has this year for the Bears at next fall's camp then he should earn a spot.

I think he could become a 15 goal checking line guy and superb PKer due to his reach and anticipation.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He had an almost end of the season call up and looked great as a PK'er/checking line forward. Sutherby better worry for his job.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I noticed from following the A's boxwscores that Steckel was one of the more consistent players int he league. Rarely going more than a couple games w/o a goal.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
He's a Group VI FA this summer and could be a very nice pick-up for a team looking for big checker. If we didn't have Paul Gaustad I'd love the Sabres to pick him up. With him, perhaps not such a big need.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
Everyone keeps mentioning his stats in this thread, but he's a great defensive player. Probably the best PKer I've seen in the AHL. He reach is massive.

And his skating his eons better than it was when I first saw him with Manchester. I'd even say he's worked it up to being average. I think he could be a really good third liner.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
His skating is not very good, and as such will probably have only limited playing time in the NHL. A depth player.

Well going on his call up late in the season he was definitely faster than Sutherby. He did not seem slow..I would say above average speed a bit.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He's a Group VI FA this summer and could be a very nice pick-up for a team looking for big checker. If we didn't have Paul Gaustad I'd love the Sabres to pick him up. With him, perhaps not such a big need.
I would expect the Caps to re-sign him. If nothing else, he could start out as a healthy scratch and eventually earn his way into the lineup.

Steckel's not terribly agile but at his size that's hard to find. He did seem faster and as equally as agile as the likes of Brashear, Sutherby and Bradley, though. If he can stay consistent then he should be able to overcome that and become a decent third- or fourth-liner...not a great one but a decent one and an improvement over a number of the Caps' depth forward alternatives.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004

Actually he will be a RFA. The 04-05 lockout season is not counted towards a pro season for Group 6 purposes according to the CBA (see Exhibit 16 2.M) so Steckel will be 25 by June 30, but will not have 3 pro seasons for Group VI purposes.

As noted, his skating has improved; he is solid in the faceoff circle and on the PK and uses his reach to his advantage. He had a few opportunities to score his first NHL goal this season; definitely not a liability in the games he played in the NHL this season from what I recall watching and he should have gotten the call up earlier based on his play, IMO.

I expect the Caps to extend him a QO and for Steckel to compete for the 4th line center slot for next season. As noted, depending on summer moves, there is competition for the 3 and 4 line slots, but I expect Steckel to be involved and wouldn't mind seeing him as the 4th line guy. I thought he would challenge for the spot this season, but he didn't have a good training camp. Will have to play to his potential to make the roster, but he has a chance with the way he has developed his game playing under Boudreau.

sidenote: it is too bad they don't publish TOI stats for the AHL (they did try for a few games earlier this season but then stopped) - Steckel played an insane amount of minutes for the Bears tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad