Dave Nonis not a big fan of new free agency

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I didn't hear Nonis complaining about the lowered free agency age when it allowed him to trade for the franchise goalie that the Canucks have been waiting for. Without that lowered UFA age, Florida holds onto Luongo, taking him to arbitration each year if that's what is required.

Personally, I like the idea of lowered free agency, even without the cap. I always had a problem under the old system, with players getting overpaid or underpaid depending on the stage of their career. Now, a player's salary has less to do with his free agency status (it still has an impact, but not as great as it was before) and more to do with their talent level.

One nit - a player can only be taken to Club Elected Arbitration once in his career.

But, otherwise I agree with your post.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
They couldn't afford to re-sign Jagr. They traded him for prospects. Obviously that didn't turn out very well. However, since he couldn't have been re-signed, what the heck else should they have done? Just let him walk away and be signed by someone else and get nothing in return? At least in the scenario that did in fact occur they got SOMETHING back for him. He would have left when his contract was up and they STILL would have been god awful, may be just one less year. So if there is ANY pick to use that line of logic about it is Fleury. Certainly not Crosby. It's ridiculous to blame this attitude on the Jagr move. Were a lot of us pissed? Yes. No doubt about it. But the underlying issue here is that the new system helps the small market teams prevent exactly this situation from happening again with respect to being able to afford one star player.

As for the others who asked for the conversation to return to the Nonis comment and away from Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is an excellent example of why the new system needed to be implemented and will work.

the penguins chose not to allocate their funds on jagr. their payroll was 31.8 million in 2001-02 and 31.2 million in 2002-03. they would've had $ 20 million remaining for players each season. they chose not to spend the money they had on him.

as for his impending ufa status two years down the road, he signed long term with washington so i have to believe he would've signed long term in pittsburgh, therefore i refute that he would've walked no matter what.

the penguins made a business decision to move jagr for relatively no value, and the team's on ice performance immediately suffered. and to put it in perspective of how bad of a return the penguins received, look what phoenix got four months earlier.

Phoenix Coyotes traded Keith Tkachuk to the St. Louis Blues for Ladislav Nagy, Michal Handzus and Jeff Taffe and a 1st round selection (Ben Eager) in 2001.

why is it ridiculous to draw a line between the trading of the league's best player for little return, and the subsequent demise of the team's on-ice play which resulted in top picks ?

the subsequent trade of kovalev in 2003 is further fuel that the pens were not seeking to get quality nhl talent in return, or patrick became the worst gm in the league suddenly. other teams were able to get solid talent back.

Last edited:

Clarence Beeks

May 4, 2006
In the Deep South
the penguins chose not to allocate their funds on jagr. their payroll was 31.8 million in 2001-02 and 31.2 million in 2002-03. they would've had $ 20 million remaining for players each season. they chose not to spend the money they had on him.

as for his impending ufa status two years down the road, he signed long term with washington so i have to believe he would've signed long term in pittsburgh, therefore i refute that he would've walked no matter what.

the penguins made a business decision to move jagr for relatively no value, and the team's on ice performance immediately suffered. and to put it in perspective of how bad of a return the penguins received, look what phoenix got four months earlier.

why is it ridiculous to draw a line between the trading of the league's best player for little return, and the subsequent demise of the team's on-ice play which resulted in top picks ?

the subsequent trade of kovalev in 2003 is further fuel that the pens were not seeking to get quality nhl talent in return, or patrick became the worst gm in the league suddenly. other teams were able to get solid talent back.

I will wholeheartedly agree with the last point that you made. If you look at all of the moves they made they got little in return. I understand where you are coming from with your impression, but believing that Patrick and the ownership at that time planned this gives them way, way too much credit. Sounds like a giant conspiracy theory to me. If that was really CP's intention, I'd guess he's probably pretty pissed off that he no longer has a job and can't reap the benefits of his hoarding...

Where exactly do you come up with the number that they had $20 million remaining to spend on other players? I'm guessing you're forgetting that the team was in bankruptcy?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
I will wholeheartedly agree with the last point that you made. If you look at all of the moves they made they got little in return. I understand where you are coming from with your impression, but believing that Patrick and the ownership at that time planned this gives them way, way too much credit. Sounds like a giant conspiracy theory to me. If that was really CP's intention, I'd guess he's probably pretty pissed off that he no longer has a job and can't reap the benefits of his hoarding...

Where exactly do you come up with the number that they had $20 million remaining to spend on other players? I'm guessing you're forgetting that the team was in bankruptcy?

i deduced the $ 20 million by subtracting jagr's approx. salary of $ 11.5 million from what the pen's actual payroll figures from '01-'02 ($31.8m) and '02-'03 ($31.2m) were (http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$maseq_e.htm) .

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Only elite players should end up UFA at 25. Other then that few players will enter the NHL at such a young age that they will get it before 27.

To elite players the market is set. When Crosby is UFA or Ovechkin they will get or be close to max salary under the cap.

There won't be a flat out bidding war for these guys and it is a good thing. If the Pens and Caps pay the money they keep them

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
GMs that complain about this are complete f'ing morons. grow a pair... understand the rules of the league, and compete accordingly. they've leveled the financial playing field, now it's in the hands of the GMs to build their teams within the cap construct. welcome to the new world...

the restrictions on drafted players aren't meant to give you "developmental rights." they're meant to give you control of the player if you wish to use it. if you don't... market value is what it is, which is why Crosby/Ovechkin are going to be straight to the roof players, because that's how good they are.

seriously... does any franchise have a critical thinking GM that actually looks at the rules and the game-theory and all the other crap that they should be looking at to do this job? or are they all sitting around whining that their jobs are harder now? sign a team and try to win a cup... the rules are the same for everyone. ugh.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Only elite players should end up UFA at 25. Other then that few players will enter the NHL at such a young age that they will get it before 27.

To elite players the market is set. When Crosby is UFA or Ovechkin they will get or be close to max salary under the cap.

There won't be a flat out bidding war for these guys and it is a good thing. If the Pens and Caps pay the money they keep them

i would give Crosby a 10 year 70M offer if i was the GM of another team and he makes it to RFA... not UFA. the mistake is believing that RFA implies restricted salary... no, it implies that other teams have to pay a price WITH the salary they're willing to give a player. if Crosby isn't signed prior to open RFA... if he doesn't see some ridiculous offers his agent should SCREAM collusion.

either you get him, or you lock the Pens into him... there is no loss.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Uh, no, he didn't want to play here anymore, he had to be moved. His comments about "dying alive" in this town and his desire to get out are why a lot of Penguins fans still harbor some animosity towards him. Don't try to re-write history and say the team just randomly dumped him to cut costs, because it's not true.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Uh, no, he didn't want to play here anymore, he had to be moved. His comments about "dying alive" in this town and his desire to get out are why a lot of Penguins fans still harbor some animosity towards him. Don't try to re-write history and say the team just randomly dumped him to cut costs, because it's not true.

But the cash-strapped Penguins, desperate to dump payroll, could no longer afford Jagr and his reported $20.7 million US salary over the next two seasons.

Nor could they afford an elite and equally expensive player in return.

That's because Pittsburgh has 18 free agents to be re-signed, including Darius Kasparaitis, Alexei Kovalev, Robert Lang and Martin Straka.

"We're not done with what we need to do this summer," Penguins GM Craig Patrick said. "There's still a lot of question marks."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/07/11/jagr010711.html#skip300x250

how am i re-writing history when the history itself says it's true ? everyone knows jagr requested to be traded, but how can it be disputed the pens moved him for financial reasons ?

Last edited:

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
Could the Pens not sign Crosby to a six-year extension (for max. dollars) when he is say 23 or 24 (and still under contract for another 1-2 years)??

Then they would have him locked up until he is almost 30. Seems to me a smart GM would do this (same thing with Washington and Oveckin).

Teams don't have to let the player get to UFA status if they are proactive and offer the player top salary before he reaches UFA years (look at players like Thornton, B. Richards, and St. Louis). Not one of them made it to UFA status and ALL of them are signed extensions that take them to past age 25.

If a player wants to leave to go play elsewhere (say Crosby wants to play in Montreal after his contract is up at age 25, then the player can say "no thanks" and sign elsewhere -- so be it).

This is just Nonis trying to stir the pot.

I do agree with the whole scheduling issue. It would be nice to see some teams play in your home arena more than once every three years.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

how am i re-writing history when the history itself says it's true ? everyone knows jagr requested to be traded, but how can it be disputed the pens moved him for financial reasons ?

You're saying they simply chose not to "allocate the funds" when he clearly didn't want to play here anymore. You're twisting the facts to fit your argument, money did play a part in it, but don't act is if they shipped out a guy who would gladly stay here or sign long term here as you said before.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
You're saying they simply chose not to "allocate the funds" when he clearly didn't want to play here anymore. You're twisting the facts to fit your argument, money did play a part in it, but don't act is if they shipped out a guy who would gladly stay here or sign long term here as you said before.

i don't believe i'm twisting facts but i do understand where you are coming from. i just refute that he wouldn't stay in pittsburgh if offered the same 7 year $ 77 million contract that the caps gave him. jagr is all about the money. the pens owned his rights and chose to trade him. i obviously have a different perception of the situation than you do. no worries and certainly not the first time others have disagreed with me.

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
While I understand Nonis' concerns, because building through the draft is the best way for small market teams to contend, I think he's a bit overdoing it. Teams will still control player rights for a full seven years....they may just have to ante up a bit more cash during years four through seven. And because of the salary cap, big market teams will no longer be able to make outrageously large offers to small-market RFA's.

Pittsburgh should have no trouble finding the money to keep all four of their key young players (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury) if they so desire....it may just mean having a bit higher payroll than they would like. But they certainly will be able to keep all four and stay under the cap.

Brent Burns Beard