Ansar Khan: Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension with Wings

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sure he signed them, but its not like they signed there because Yzerman is the GM, I'm sure his pitch didn't hurt, but I doubt his pitch was sign here because I'm Steve Yzerman. They signed there because they are joining a young team with loads of undeveloped talent and because they can step into the NHL line-up from day 1.

Not ONE of those signing have stepped in NHL line-up from day one and became regular; most are still in minors and will be next year too.

They weren't young team with loads of talent as Stevie signed those first guys.

Sustr, can make that argument but that's about it. And if one follows Hf consensus, Tampa is pretty much doomed team as Marty is aging etc.

you just proved my point for me. in the end, it didn't matter that yzerman was the gm, brunner still turned him down

some of you are grasping at straws for why you want yzerman to replace holland as gm :laugh:

That isn't the reason I'd want Stevie Y here.

How about those other kids that he DID sign, why no mention?

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
We are tainting our Datsyuk celebration with all this GM talk.

Pavel went fishing today.
BLwRO1aCAAEiHvy.jpg

Man, Is there anything this man does not excel at?

I bet he caught both those hawgs on a single cast.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sure he signed them, but its not like they signed there because Yzerman is the GM, I'm sure his pitch didn't hurt, but I doubt his pitch was sign here because I'm Steve Yzerman. They signed there because they are joining a young team with loads of undeveloped talent and because they can step into the NHL line-up from day 1.

Yzerman and Tampa picked up Conacher off the scrap heap and he went on to be 7th in rookie scoring this year. He had a pretty similar season to Brunner, statistically. Give some credit where it's due.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman and Tampa picked up Conacher off the scrap heap and he went on to be 7th in rookie scoring this year. He had a pretty similar season to Brunner, statistically. Give some credit where it's due.

Then he traded him for an overrated goalie....

I know some will like Ben Bishop, but look at it this way. He couldn't really crack either St. Louis or Ottawa and just got displaced by an OHL player (albeit a really promising one) at the Worlds as a first stringer.

Number 9*

Yzerman's done a below average job for TB so far imo.

How did this become a debate of Steve Yzerman? Last time I checked Yzerman has nothing to with Red Wings and Datsyuk isn't trying to sign in Tampa Bay.

jaster

Unregistered User
Jun 8, 2007
How did this become a debate of Steve Yzerman? Last time I checked Yzerman has nothing to with Red Wings and Datsyuk isn't trying to sign in Tampa Bay.

Some people want Holland fired and Yzerman hired. But you're right, we shouldn't be talking about Yzerman, he's a crappy GM anyway... err... the thread is about Datsyuk anyway :)

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Steve Yzerman has done fine, he inherited a train wreck. He's been very proactive trying to stabilize a team that had a mediocre prospect pool, no goalie, and no defense.

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013

Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Yzerman

Yzerman played his entire National Hockey League (NHL) career with the Detroit Red Wings and is a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Prior to the 1986–87 season at the age of 21, Yzerman was named captain of the Red Wings and continuously served for the next two decades (dressing as captain for over 1300 games), retiring as the longest-serving captain of any team in North American major league sports history. Once voted to be the most popular athlete in Detroit sports history, locals often simply refer to Yzerman as "The Captain."[3] Yzerman led the Wings to five first-place regular season finishes and three Stanley Cup championships (1997, 1998, and 2002).

In 1997, Yzerman put to rest all doubts of his ability to lead a team to a championship as Detroit won its first Stanley Cup in 42 years by sweeping the Philadelphia Flyers. The following year Detroit repeated the feat, sweeping the Washington Capitals and winning their second consecutive Stanley Cup title. Yzerman earned the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. He handed the Cup first to the wheelchair-bound Vladimir Konstantinov, who had been severely injured in a car accident just six days after the Cup victory in 1997.

In 2001–02, Yzerman re-aggravated a knee injury, forcing him to miss 30 regular season games.[14] Yet, he still finished sixth in team scoring. Yzerman's knee greatly pained him during the 2002 Stanley Cup Playoffs, but this did not stop him from leading the Red Wings from an early 2-0 deficit in their opening round series to defeat the Vancouver Canucks and St. Louis Blues en route to Detroit's fifth playoff series with the Colorado Avalanche, and the third time the two teams had battled to decide the Western Conference Championship. Detroit defeated Colorado in a seven game series and moved on to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they defeated the Carolina Hurricanes to win their 10th Stanley Cup championship in their history. Rather than raising the Stanley Cup first, Yzerman passed the Cup to coach Scotty Bowman, who announced his retirement following the game.

If Yzerman has nothing to do with the Red Wings then every hockey player largely has nothing do with hockey ;).

By the way, the bolded is just absolute class.

Number 9*

Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Yzerman

If Yzerman has nothing to do with the Red Wings then every hockey player largely has nothing do with hockey ;).

By the way, the bolded is just absolute class.
That and 7 bucks gets you a cup of coffee at Starbucks yet has ZERO to do with current Red Wings team.

Yes Yzerman is one of my favs but HE chose to move on and he's part of the enemy forces!

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
That and 7 bucks gets you a cup of coffee at Starbucks yet has ZERO to do with current Red Wings team.

Yes Yzerman is one of my favs but HE chose to move on and he's part of the enemy forces!

First of all, I was humoring you by using a play on your words, but apparently that didn't take.

Second of all, I would hardly consider Tampa an "enemy force". Given the chance to be GM of a NHL team or forever taking a backseat to Holland, without the knowledge that you'd be guaranteed to be his successor, what would you choose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->