Ansar Khan: Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension with Wings

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What UFAs did we miss out on that could have been had with Yzerman's apparent Candian pull?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
No. It's because he has kind of superb reputatition with Canadian players. He could be THE MAN to allure some UFAs to Wings.

While Yzerman is generally very well liked in all hockey communities, the # of players that would sign somewhere simply because he is the GM is relatively small.

I think players would care far more about the teammates they'd have, the performance of the team in question, the city they'd be playing in, and their salary than they would about having a GM with a superb reputation as a hockey player.

Besides as a GM Yzerman's reputation isn't all that superb, in fact Holland has a far better reputation as a builder of hockey teams.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Players don't give a **** about the GM. It's all about the money, term, team and living situation.

He *almost* got Brunner.. for what it's worth

Brunner said his talk with Yzerman was the “most impressive meeting†he had ever had. He called Yzerman “awesome.†He said it took “courage†to tell him no.

Also Stevie Y has made some nice college/UFA pickups that can be attributed to him; Tampa didn't get players like that before him iirc.

Brown, Sustr, Johnson, Conacher etc.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Players don't give a **** about the GM. It's all about the money, term, team and living situation.

He is the best possible human being to sell Detroit for Canadians, Ontario based players. How it's good to live where he lived, behind the border, lower taxes. And out from the Eastern media circuses...

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

In the end though, it was Holland who signed him.

Also Stevie Y has made some nice college/UFA pickups that can be attributed to him; Tampa didn't get players like that before him iirc.

Brown, Sustr, Johnson, Conacher etc.

Sure he signed them, but its not like they signed there because Yzerman is the GM, I'm sure his pitch didn't hurt, but I doubt his pitch was sign here because I'm Steve Yzerman. They signed there because they are joining a young team with loads of undeveloped talent and because they can step into the NHL line-up from day 1.

He is the best possible human being to sell Detroit for Canadians, Ontario based players. How it's good to live where he lived, behind the border, lower taxes. And out from the Eastern media circuses...

That's not exactly a pitch unique to Yzerman, any Red Wing could make the same pitch including Ken Holland. Not having Yzerman as a GM hasn't cost the Wings anyone as far as Free Agents are concerned.

Aug 6, 2012
Give it two more years before we begin assessing Stevie Y's job as GM. I do think he ultimately takes over for Holland when his time is up.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We are tainting our Datsyuk celebration with all this GM talk.

Pavel went fishing today.
BLwRO1aCAAEiHvy.jpg

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
In the end though, it was Holland who signed him.

If Brunner had just played with Stamkos or St. Louis and his coach, Stacy Roest, had played for the Lightning and was selling them hard, do you still think Holland would have got him?

Pavel went fishing today.
Boy loves to fish. It's amazing. I hope sometimes his teammates come out to fish with him. I think it's funny and telling that in the off season, guy wants to just go out on a boat, have a few beers, and relax. Golf has a lot of moving around, even if you're using carts. Fishing you can just sit on the boat. It's like after a whole season + playoffs, he just needs to recharge by doing nothing for a few months. Go get recharged, Pavel!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If Brunner had just played with Stamkos or St. Louis and his coach, Stacy Roest, had played for the Lightning and was selling them hard, do you still think Holland would have got him?

What is this Stacy Roest crap? I remember an article from last winter where was mentioned, that Stacy Roest recommended Brunner for Holland. But Holland told in same article, that thanks Stacy, but they already were aware about him. So Stacy Roest did not had any impact in Brunner-signing.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
What is this Stacy Roest crap? I remember an article from last winter where was mentioned, that Stacy Roest recommended Brunner for Holland. But Holland told in same article, that thanks Stacy, but they already were aware about him. So Stacy Roest did not had any impact in Brunner-signing.

Oh yeah?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21356/betting-on-brunner-high-hopes-for-hawks

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--d...make-it-big-with-the-red-wings-165028450.html

Roest had spent years playing in Switzerland and had an eye on his post-playing career. He wanted to become an NHL scout. In November 2011, he sent Holland a message to tell him that there was one player in the Swiss league that could play in the NHL – Damien Brunner.

Holland forwarded the email to his scouts, who went and saw him. They thought he was someone the Wings should consider. Brunner led the Swiss league in scoring in the regular season (24 goals and 60 points in 45 games) and playoffs (three goals and 14 points in 14 games) in 2011-12.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

that's wishful thinking for the most part as others have already pointed out.

you just proved my point for me. in the end, it didn't matter that yzerman was the gm, brunner still turned him down

some of you are grasping at straws for why you want yzerman to replace holland as gm :laugh:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was our organization style, best fit for Europeans that got Brunner here. Yzerman or Holland at Detroit, Brunner would have chosen Detroit. Yzerman or Holland at Tampa, he would have chosen Detroit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Boy loves to fish. It's amazing. I hope sometimes his teammates come out to fish with him. I think it's funny and telling that in the off season, guy wants to just go out on a boat, have a few beers, and relax. Golf has a lot of moving around, even if you're using carts. Fishing you can just sit on the boat. It's like after a whole season + playoffs, he just needs to recharge by doing nothing for a few months. Go get recharged, Pavel!

what do you mean by this? if you're talking about Zetterberg then what does that even have to do with anything? that was after the Wings got him not before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad