Datsyuk joins Triple Gold Club

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Love Datsyuk and I'm happy for him. My second favorite player of all time only behind the captain. But this feels hollow. Weak competition and they didn't even win in convincing fashion. I wonder if it feels a little lackluster for the Russian players that have competed in true best on best tournaments. It can't be as satisfying as it would if all the pros were there.
I doubt he cares honestly

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
A few reasons. Conceptually it is like an award for winning awards, not unlike the award for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence. It's weird that the IIHF created it and promotes it when one of the accomplishments is not connected to the IIHF at all. It's very odd to include one domestic league championship with two international accomplishments. It's a pretty blatant attempt to promote the IIHF's main tournament (World Championships) by associating it with two far bigger brands in the Olympics and the Stanley Cup that the IIHF doesn't control.

It would make a lot more sense if it was something like IIHF U18, U20 and WC, or even WJC, U20 and Olympics. If it gets more players to agree to play in the World Championships then that's fine, there's certainly no harm there, but it consistently causes my eyes to roll.

Datsyuk is not a diver of note.
If "conceptual father of the Triple Gold Club" is Szymon Szemberg, we can not be suprised why it includes one domestic league championship.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like to know how many guys are on the Four-Gold club ?

Stanley Cup
Gagarin Cup
Olympic Gold
World Championship.

Datsyuk should be.

Reactions: vorky

ref88

Feb 14, 2018
He's definitely in the club, but the WC's don't mean much to me since they aren't close to best-on-best, and this medal obviously has the asterisk of being won in a non-NHL Olympics.

I mean, it is the same way with his 2002 cup, where he was, what, the fourth-line center? It technically counts, but really?
Lol, what?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
He's definitely in the club, but the WC's don't mean much to me since they aren't close to best-on-best, and this medal obviously has the asterisk of being won in a non-NHL Olympics.

I mean, it is the same way with his 2002 cup, where he was, what, the fourth-line center? It technically counts, but really?

What a laughable statement. So every other player who has won a SC ring playing on the third or fourth lines should also chuck those into the bin ? In the record books and in years to come there will be no asterisk by the title or the medal. Only for those who want to see it that way to belittle due to their inherent arrogance the gold medal. As I said before I'm sure Datsyuk one of the finest players ever to grace the ice will lose a lot of sleep from comments like these.

My favourite player in recent times I hope he goes into coaching kids and how much of becoming a top class player is a very strong work ethic and refining ones skills while being humble about it. He's one of the very few recent Russian players who could make it into an all time Russian team. Magnificent player and person.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Datsyuk will always have an asterisk next to his name, much like Tomas Jonsson, Mats Naslund, Hakan Loob, Valeri Kamenski, Alexei Gusarov, Slava Fetisov, Igor Larianov, Alexander Mogilny, and Vladimir Malakhov.

Aside from the World Championship being a joke, the IIHF needs to update their records to indicate that Peter Forsberg joined in 2006 after winning a REAL gold medal. The people of HFBoards have spoken, and we know more than the players and the IIHF. (/sarcasm)

Reactions: Ingvar

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This thread is hilarious and to claim that Datsyuk is a legitimate member of the Triple Gold Club just devalues the membership for all the players who actually entered it by having to go through all the best International Teams at a legitimate International tournament.

Who did Datsyuk's team have to go through to win olympic gold? like lets just sit down for a minute and stop pretending that "Russia" are Olympic Hockey Champions and as if that actually means something.

Russia has yet to win a gold medal at a best vs best tournament since 1981. The entire 2018 Olympic hockey tournament will have a lasting legacy of doping, cheating (OAR) and a tournament completely devoid of the world's best hockey players. In other words slap the biggest asterisk in history next to the 2018 Olympic Hockey tournament.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
This thread is hilarious and to claim that Datsyuk is a legitimate member of the Triple Gold Club just devalues the membership for all the players who actually entered it by having to go through all the best International Teams at a legitimate International tournament.

Datsyuk is not the only one of the "pretend members" of the Triple Gold Club. In fact, the first three "members" "earned" their membership in 1994. Not to mention Mogilny.:laugh:

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Datsyuk is a legend and surefire HHoFer who accumulated a laundry list of damn impressive accomplishments throughout his illustrious career. That being said, this ... isn't really one of them. He's more like a "Technically Triple Gold Club" member (and he's not the only one).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->