Datsyuk joins Triple Gold Club

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
He's definitely in the club, but the WC's don't mean much to me since they aren't close to best-on-best, and this medal obviously has the asterisk of being won in a non-NHL Olympics.

I mean, it is the same way with his 2002 cup, where he was, what, the fourth-line center? It technically counts, but really?
Er, OK there, buddy. "Two Kids & a Goat" was a great line.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I'm very happy for him, although Germany's third goal is entirely on him. But his line scored every goal and provided the most pressure.

Triple Gold Club, first ballot HoF, number most likely retired. He is certainly one of the best and a somewhat underrated player. He should've had more Hart nominations than he did. Points aren't everything, especially in his case.

Reactions: BMann and Borlag

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Congrats to the Magic Man.

They wouldn’t have won Gold if Canada’s best were there but that’s not Russia’s fault the NHL were moronic.

One heck of a final game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I find the triple gold club to be a ridiculous concept, but I am pleased for Datsyuk. Definitely a great player and easily one of the most enjoyable to watch.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What's the Gagarin Cup?

It is the trophy presented to the KHL champion every year. Basically their version of the Stanley Cup.

Congrats to Pavel. Russian hockey has always been extremely important to him and helping give his country a gold is about as big as he can give back to that hockey community.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Usually I'd pile on and note the severe asterisk that should go next to this, but meh, great player and he got this chance because he wanted to play at home. Can't begrudge him for that, congrats on a great accomplishment!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What's the Gagarin Cup?
Gagarin_Cup.jpg

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Love Datsyuk and I'm happy for him. My second favorite player of all time only behind the captain. But this feels hollow. Weak competition and they didn't even win in convincing fashion. I wonder if it feels a little lackluster for the Russian players that have competed in true best on best tournaments. It can't be as satisfying as it would if all the pros were there.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
He can make it a quadruple gold in the summer Olympics with his diving skills.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

A few reasons. Conceptually it is like an award for winning awards, not unlike the award for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence. It's weird that the IIHF created it and promotes it when one of the accomplishments is not connected to the IIHF at all. It's very odd to include one domestic league championship with two international accomplishments. It's a pretty blatant attempt to promote the IIHF's main tournament (World Championships) by associating it with two far bigger brands in the Olympics and the Stanley Cup that the IIHF doesn't control.

It would make a lot more sense if it was something like IIHF U18, U20 and WC, or even WJC, U20 and Olympics. If it gets more players to agree to play in the World Championships then that's fine, there's certainly no harm there, but it consistently causes my eyes to roll.

He can make it a quadruple gold in the summer Olympics with his diving skills.

Datsyuk is not a diver of note.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad