OT: Daryl Katz spends $120 Million on new LA pad

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
^Fresh water comes out of the tap"

How does Los Angeles get its water?

Now I'm somewhat confused that you ecologically justify that given our other discussion.

The LA area is an arid climate with little precipitation. It is mostly, due to lack of water inhospitable naturally. The only way it can get water is to take it from elsewhere which contributes to such things as the Colorado river drying up.

So what happens when that water is gone. A pipeline from Canada, more diverting of rivers? Desalination isn't working very well and takes a lot of energy to produce very little consumable water.

Aside from that I prefer not to live in an area that has some of the worst smog found anywhere in the US.

Los Angeles and Bakersfield top list of worst air pollution in the nation

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
^Fresh water comes out of the tap"

How does Los Angeles get its water?

Now I'm somewhat confused that you ecologically justify that given our other discussion.

The LA area is an arid climate with little precipitation. It is mostly, due to lack of water inhospitable naturally. The only way it can get water is to take it from elsewhere which contributes to such things as the Colorado river drying up.

So what happens when that water is gone. A pipeline from Canada, more diverting of rivers?
I'd much rather sell our fresh water to California than give it away to Nestle.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Check the weather forecast. It's like a mild summer day every day.

^
Also this.

Went to visit my buddy there in November (tons of direct flights from LAX everywhere). Checked out a Kings game, went to Nitro Circus, The Roxy, The Rainbow (saw Lemmy shortly before he died actually), rode bikes on the Strand at Venice Beach, Shopping on Melrose, hiked Runyon Canyon, bar hopped the strip, taco trucks, 2nd hand shops on Melrose, saw some C-list rock stars playing shows while I talked and drank a beer, ... I'm a working Joe and it's fun. With more money you can do more and there are many levels of "scenes". Never mind surfing or visiting other places (brb LV, SF, San Diego, Big Bear, ...)

He's engaged to a model/actress now and has his own business (he just moved there with 0 connections btw).
Never been beat-up, robbed, injured in an earthquake, burnt in a fire, or anything else you've seen on TV. He lives in W. Hollywood. Fresh water comes out of the tap. They have stores full of food. New cars and buildings have air filters, check out what Tesla is doing. ;)

I've got a decent idea why someone would consider living there, especially a billionaire.

LA is where dreams (including nightmares) come true. It can be either really good, or really bad.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I'd much rather sell our fresh water to California than give it away to Nestle.
heh, I was just referencing the Obscene Nestle corporation just 10minutes ago in a conversation.

But no, I wouldn't want Alberta water going to California at any cost. This is a domestic problem that the US needs to solve on their own, its of their own making of course.

About the only thing I like about the concept of LA is the Kings. I could never live there.

I think for Canadians that don't enjoy the cold, places like LA, and Phoenix are attractive. I would feel parched and overheated in such places. With Phoenix being considerably worse but with LA pollution I would have trouble literally breathing.

I'm out to snowshoe in beautiful fresh air, sun, and in positively balmy conditions. If anything I will be overheated. Not cold, in the slightest. -30C and worse starts to feel cold for me. Just dress for it and this is a very comfortable climate year round.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think LA (and a lot of California/Nevada in general) is like the ultimate social experiment.

Both the best and worst qualities of humanity are on display there, often in hyper-exaggerated fashion.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think LA (and a lot of California/Nevada in general) is like the ultimate social experiment.

Both the best and worst qualities of humanity are on display there, often in hyper-exaggerated fashion.
Good news (I guess) is that if you go there with big dreams and fail, being homeless there wouldn't be too bad. :skull:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->