OT: Daryl Katz spends $120 Million on new LA pad

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Great pitch. The city gifted him an arena, filled up his Hirise with an under the table deal, and your suggesting he's some sort of philanthropist
Funny
Funny made all his money from drugstores , sold them out decided to invest in real estate chose Edmonton to re-invest his money in , many other cities are hot market where he could of put that cash investment into.

He makes money big deal welcome to capitalism the city will get taxes from all the multiple towers he is building for many years after he has passed , the city and the fans are assured we have team here another 35 years .

Already been proven the economic impact the ice district brings in for the future is far more than what the city put into the arena. I see a lot of jealous ungrateful people in what his vision is of Bringing Edmonton into the 21st Century. . And where did I say he is a philanthropist how do you confuse that with Investment lol nice reach although he has made large donations to Stollery and UOA Your attitude is what chased the Comries and the Shaws out of this city with hater attitude.

Last edited:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
There's many here that didn't like the arena deal which I can understand. I didn't care for it either. There's no denying the positive impact it has had on our downtown though. For thirty years, there was very little development in our city center and now look at it. Katz and his ICE district investment had spurred on other developments. Without this initial investment, I don't think we would have seen much happen so quickly. This city will be world class sooner than later and it started from Katz. Enjoy your new home Daryl.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
For the truly myopic: He spent more on the Arena than he did on that house.

That house has actual equity and asset value. He owns it. He doesn't own the Arena.

You can afford that home when you take advantage of a city bent on serving a billionaire.

Yeah, or you know, you sell your drugstore chain for billions.

Dumbest post of the year.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don’t know why really rich people want to live there. City is a dirty cesspool. One of the last places on earth i’d live if money wasn’t an issue.

Oct 15, 2008
Funny made all his money from drugstores , sold them out decided to invest in real estate chose Edmonton to re-invest his money in , many other cities are hot market where he could of put that cash investment into.

He makes money big deal welcome to capitalism the city will get taxes from all the multiple towers he is building for many years after he has passed , the city and the fans are assured we have team here another 35 years .

Already been proven the economic impact the ice district brings in for the future is far more than what the city put into the arena. I see a lot of jealous ungrateful people in what his vision is of Bringing Edmonton into the 21st Century. . And where did I say he is a philanthropist how do you confuse that with Investment lol nice reach although he has made large donations to Stollery and UOA Your attitude is what chased the Comries and the Shaws out of this city with hater attitude.
Govt subsidizing business is capitalism? Lol.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Fairy Godfather has quite the den. Lots of rooms to house aspiring actresses. After they sign their non-disclosure agreement of course. Gotta learn from Weinstein's mistakes.

Reactions: Jakey53

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder if it's as technologically advanced as Bill Gates' house which isn't too far in value

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Edmonton will get Keanu Reeves, Justin Bieber, and $15 million in cash.

20h4b3.jpg

20h4ju.jpg

20h4oy.jpg

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Obviously it's a real nice place to live but it certainly doesn't seem like something worth that much. Guess location is the kicker there.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Yep.
Basically the city investing int he arena was to show the city was willing to commit to sparking development in the downtown core. The arena gave downtown the big ticket item which Katz used to drive all the other growth in the downtown core.

I live just out of downtown and HATE all the construction but the amount of things being done down there is nothing short of amazing. I don't think we need that many condos but as long as people are buying them its super beneficial.

Without the arena, the downtown core doesn't get the big investment it's been getting. It's a spend money to make money for the city.

More on topic.
Thats too much house lol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Great pitch. The city gifted him an arena, filled up his Hirise with an under the table deal, and your suggesting he's some sort of philanthropist
Funny

You were one of those with pitchforks yelling..."Northland's is just fine ! Edmonton doesn't need a new arena. Katz is evil for revitalizing our downtown !" Citizen. Weren't you ....

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
For the truly myopic: He spent more on the Arena than he did on that house.

That house has actual equity and asset value. He owns it. He doesn't own the Arena.

Yeah, or you know, you sell your drugstore chain for billions.

Dumbest post of the year.
It was a political comment. Katz deserves the mansion.

I think I can hang on for another 28 days.

Thanks for the nomination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad