Waived: Darroll Powe, Arron Asham (7/5: Both Clear)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I dont blame Asham for not fighting. Stirring the pot under Torts gets you benched. He was slow though.

Loved Powe's game but we just dont have the depth to carry a guy with AHL hands. Think he'd be great on a team like the Penguins or Hawks that can already score.

Punxrocknyc19*

I dont blame Asham for not fighting. Stirring the pot under Torts gets you benched. He was slow though.

Loved Powe's game but we just dont have the depth to carry a guy with AHL hands. Think he'd be great on a team like the Penguins or Hawks that can already score.

more like ECHL hands 0 pts in 34 games is horrible. even 4th line goons like Reaves get more goals than him

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Didn't Miller also hurt his wrist which ultimately ended his season? Maybe that's why he got sent back down. I don't remember when he got hurt

Well, he just wasn't ready. They should have sent him down after 5 games (6 games was the limit to not burn a year of his ELC).

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You all know I like physical play but asham is one dimensional at this point and has no place on the roster.

Powe plain sucks so he's no loss.

If eiyhrr guy hsd ANY value on the trade market they would have been traded.

Good move to shed thesr guys. Next up should be pyatt.

Punxrocknyc19*

You all know I like physical play but asham is one dimensional at this point and has no place on the roster.

Powe plain sucks so he's no loss.

If eiyhrr guy hsd ANY value on the trade market they would have been traded.

Good move to shed thesr guys. Next up should be pyatt.

clearing money for Lapierre :sarcasm:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Then he got sent down and replaced by a 28 year old Powe who they just waived because he was terrible.

They have a total fear of playing young players in the bottom 6. Let them make their mistakes, let them learn.

Powe's problems have stemmed more from his concussion history than anything else.

We aren't a rebuilding team. I agree that young players need to be able to make mistakes and not fear losing their game completely. But they also need to show that they're ready for the NHL. It's a fine balance between the two, but it's one that the Rangers organization has been walking pretty well in recent years.

Dubinsky, when he wasn't playing with Jagr, started as a 3rd liner.
Korpikoski started as a 3rd liner.
Callahan started as a 3rd liner.
Anisimov started as a 3rd, sometimes 4th, liner.
Hagelin started as a 3rd liner.
Zuccarello started as a 3rd liner.
Miller started as a 3rd liner.

Now, I ask you, who among the Rangers prospects during the last 5-8 years has deserved time as a bottom-6 player but didn't get it? Because I can hardly think of any. Dane Byers maybe deserved more of a shot, but he hasn't stuck anywhere else either. Who deserved it? Nobody did.

Your problem is that you seem to think that simply giving guys shots will turn them into NHLers. They have to earn their ice time. The young players that we've had earned their ice time. The ones that never made it didn't. It's as simple as that.

Also, you keep on talking about irrational fears, but the only irrational fear I see here is that the Rangers will sign the only goon in the UFA ranks this year in Brian McGratton.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Ok I am going To start by saying I Am 12 beers deep right now, this sucks asham busted his ass vs Boston and played very well . This team just doesn't get it that being small in this conference will not cut it.. Pyatt sucks ass all yr and stays . Come on guys we need some toughness and we have none, Haley will not get a shot and Dorestt is a midget

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Ok I am going To start by saying I Am 12 beers deep right now, this sucks asham busted his ass vs Boston and played very well . This team just doesn't get it that being small in this conference will not cut it.. Pyatt sucks ass all yr and stays . Come on guys we need some toughness and we have none, Haley will not get a shot and Dorestt is a midget

:laugh: well he's not gone and if he clears I think he stays on the roster.

Have you heard any teams interested in claiming Powe or Asham?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Dorsett: 6', 192 lbs

Asham: 5'11, 205 lbs

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I love Dorestt but he is not the answer to the tough guys we play. Plus his size is exaggerated I am 6ft even and taller then him

That's fair. I agree the team could use a touch of toughness up front. I think Mac and Noreau will address the lack of D toughness soon enough.

Kershaw

I love Dorestt but he is not the answer to the tough guys we play. Plus his size is exaggerated I am 6ft even and taller then him

?

Dorsett is like George McPhee, balls of steel. I don't see the issue with him.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
?

Once again please read the post
I said I love the guy.. I never said he didn't have balls he is tough but ready now read it

He is small not big
He is very tough but not a legit heavyweight
That's all I am saying

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
?

Good try but not quite. Dorsett and McPhee are similar sized and didn't mind dropping the gloves but that's pretty much where the comparison ends. You might take a look on youtube or Hockeyfights. Dorsett fights often and more often than not gets pummeled. McPhee was a much better fighter. He threw hard and he was like a machine gun when he got started. That was also why his career was very short. He busted up his hands over and over again. Dorsett is an example of a very tough player who's a lousy fighter. He's tough because he can take a hammering. In regards to fighting he's a taker not a giver.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If McIlrath is on the fast track to the NHL--I think we might be okay as far as the fisticuffs go. If not Dorsett is not enough. I like Haley as a fighter but he's not very big either. Dorsett is a good player to have. He's more than one dimensional but he's no where near tough enough to get other teams to respect the Rangers just all on his own.

I like Asham but he's no heavyweight either and though he has some decent hand skils as a player he's getting old and his skating is not quite up to par. I can understand the Rangers waiving him. Powe--no loss at all AFAIC. I'm also with the group who thinks Pyatt should be waived along with them. Third liner--slept for a good 3 months on us--doesn't hit much (despite the stats) or pk. WTF good is he?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
maybe they will push them to the wolf pack for vet presence.

regardless I really liked ashem. powe is just meh. his Pk skills are great but he is probably not an effective player under a coach Mike AV

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
They don't really want McIlrath coming in at 20 and fighting every night. Guys challenged him in the AHL because of his reputation and he had quite a few fights to start the year then it tapered off because not as many guys were willing to fight him. It's inevitably going to happen but they need someone else to handle some of those.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
They don't really want McIlrath coming in at 20 and fighting every night. Guys challenged him in the AHL because of his reputation and he had quite a few fights to start the year then it tapered off because not as many guys were willing to fight him. It's inevitably going to happen but they need someone else to handle some of those.
Agreed. But the A has some really big goons.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I expect Dylan is going to be fighting at least 15-20 times a year whether in the AHL or NHL McIlrath is going to get challenged and that's a part of his game. More--fights are going to come his way if only because of his hitting. He's going to bury some guys and the respective tough guys on those teams are going to be looking for him. Again it's part of his game--one he embraced a long time ago. It's even a large part of the reason the Rangers drafted him where they did. They don't want him *****footing around. Would it be smarter for him at times to pick his spots?--no doubt but when he's deemed ready at least in this area of his game there is nothing but the deep end to go into. In any case neither Dorsett nor Haley can handle themselves the way McIlrath can. They don't have his size or strength. They can't handle the legit heavy's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad