Helene St. James Darren Helm's Unusual Summer plans

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The ongoing Helm saga has an interesting update. It appears Darren Helm is targeting our annual prospect camp as something he wants to participate in.

The Detroit Red Wings are holding out hope that yet another stretch of slow rehabilitation will have left Helm in good enough condition that he can take to the ice in mid-July as part of the team’s annual development camp. It’s not usually for 26-year-olds who already are established in the NHL, but then, it hasn’t been a usual season for Helm.

Now, general manager Ken Holland said today, the next move on the wobbly chessboard that is Helm’s uncharted recovery is to see if he can skate and scrimmage with the team’s up-and-comers. If that goes well, great. That would go a long ways toward instilling belief in the Wings they can count on Helm for next season.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130618/SPORTS05/306180110

So an interesting strategy and something I cannot remember ever seeing. Would also be huge for a lot of our kids to have Helm in camp teaching and imparting knowledge. I really like this idea and I hope he is ready in a month and this doesn't push him too fast.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
By the same token, if he's not there, we know things aren't going as planned.

Was another thought I had, so we will know where Helm stands in terms of plans by mid-June. If he isn't there I think we can start pushing back his target date and question whether or not he is in the lineup in the pre-season and opening night.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Would it be too much to pray he's okay? There were so many times during the playoffs I found myself thinking "we could really use a guy like Helm right about now"; the team just isn't the same without him.

As a poster above mentioned; I really hope he's not rushing himself back to early to make this camp. I'd rather *not know* and give him as much time as necessary to recover. If he is okay, yeah this sounds great. Helm seems like a valuable resource for the young guys to be around; whether they end up as Red Wings or not.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
If hes healthy enough I don't think there is a better way to get back in to things, he hasn't played much these last two years im sure there's quite a bit of rust.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Is it too late to amnesty him?

So you want to amnesty Helm, and you don't want Datsyuk re-signed.

What's next? trade Nyquist and Tatar for Gomez, buyout Zetterberg with Helm, don't re-sign Flip, and Brunner, trade Kronwall, Franzen, Howard and Dekeyser and get that 1st overall draft pick?

Serious question, what do you like about the Red Wings?

RedWingsNow*

Good to be back.
Unfortunately, recidivism rates being what they are

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I just hope he makes a full recovery and comes back determined to be 100% and make an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->