Darmouth Subways producing some great talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Since the Mooseheads came to town hockey has been picking up in the Maritimes.

the dartmouth subways are producing some of the best talent in the QMJHL right now:

Sidney Crosby played a year for the AAA team, Justin Saulnier played a year after Crosby and Saulnier could be a 2nd round pick in 2005 NHL draft. Now James Sheppard is going Q next year, he was picked 1st overall in this years QMJHL draft and I seen him play and he could be a Latendresse clone in the league. ALso Ryan Hillier was suppose to be a 1st round pick in the Q draft as well but he isn't sure if he is going NCAA or Q so he sliped and Bona a huge d-man was also suppose to go 1st round but went down in the rankings due to the same as Hillier.

Don't know who they might have next year but you can almost bet there will be a player to watch from them.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
a-mac said:
I think Hillier is going to go the Q route it wa in a Halifax Paper July 3rd i think.

that will be awsome, I am in Ottawa right now for three weeks but am going back home to Halifax in two more weeks now so I have missed all the news back home...but that is great news. I really like Hillier I think he has star potential myself. He is exciting to watch.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, there putting out a lot of good players, I think they had 5 or so drafted this year to the Q and there was another guy, Gallagher, I think who almost had as many points as Sheppard, but is small and I don't think ended up getting drafted for some reason. Size is a big deal in hockey these days but it's the Q not the NHL, but who knows maybe there was some other reason. Also in the last draft when Crosby went 1st overall it was the first time a Nova Scotian went #1 in the Q draft, then they went back to back when Sheppard went #1 so I think hockey in Nova Scotia and the Maritimes all together is really starting to make a name for it's self.

Last edited:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
eddy said:
Yeah, there putting out a lot of good players, I think they had 5 or so drafted this year to the Q and there was another guy, Gallagher, I think who almost had as many points as Sheppard, but is small and I don't think ended up getting drafted for some reason. Size is a big deal in hockey these days but it's the Q not the NHL, but who knows maybe there was some other reason. Also in the last draft when Crosby went 1st overall it was the first time a Nova Scotian went #1 in the Q draft, then they went back to back when Sheppard went #1 so I think hockey in Nova Scotia and the Maritimes all together is really starting to make a name for it's self.

Gallagher should have been drafted size isn't always everything, he is a good player.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Are the Subways a region-specific team or do they recruit players from all over Nova Scotia?

paul2143

Jul 4, 2004
Prospects from Nova Scotia!

And it isn't just "real deal" prospects like Crosby....the Maritimes, Nova Scotia in particular, has been producing an amazing number of prospects for US College hockey for several years! And a lot of them are making their way to Upper Canada College in Toronto (a private school with a great reputation for developing talent for the best US schools, mainly Ivy League ones). Kids like Rob MacNeil, just named co-captain of Hamilton College's Varsity team for next year, Pete LeCain at Brown University, Cory Ernst and Joel Morash at Colby College, Tyler Ravlo and Dane Marshall off to Southern Maine U in the fall, and perhaps the best prospect of them all, Def. Jared Ross from Stoney Island NS who turned down several US offers and will be playing Jr. next fall. They all developed their skills at Upper Canada College in Toronto!

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Speaking of the Q, I was looking over their draft last week and saw this kid that weighed 136lbs go top 10 in the draft. I was shocked to say the least.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vithush said:
Speaking of the Q, I was looking over their draft last week and saw this kid that weighed 136lbs go top 10 in the draft. I was shocked to say the least.

yeah that was Maxime Tanguay...Alex Tanguays brother. Maxime is a late 88 making him 2007 ranked as well.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vithush said:

When you get 100 pts in 30 games i dont think teams in the Q care much how small you are. Espeically when Chicoutimi plays on Olympic ice.

And Maxime Tanguay isnt draft eligble until 2007. He is a late 88.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
moosefan said:
No Dixon played for the Halifax McDonalds just over our bridge it is a big rival here in Halifax.
Yea, its tough for our Cape Breton team to compete with all the hockey players you pump out. If we do get anyone half decent they skill Midget and go play with Junior or High School.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dartmouth had 12 players who were born in 87 and 88 who were 1st or 2nd time eligible and 8 got picked.

They also had an 86 on there team who was picked last year by Halifax, Chris Wall.

Also another 86 Mike Wood is going to the PEI Rockets trainig camp.

The players that were picked are:

1 1 CAP Sheppard James 1988-04-25 6'1" 184 W L Dartmouth MAAA NS
2 18 HAL Hillier Ryan 1988-01-25 6'0" 168 W L Dartmouth MAAA NS
2 24 MON Marchand Brad 1988-05-11 5'8" 167 W L Dartmouth MAAA NS
3 43 RIM Bona Graham 1988-05-12 6'3" 210 D R Dartmouth MAAA NS
4 49 GAT Bennett Kyle 1987-05-09 6'1" 202 W L Dartmouth MAAA NS
5 70 GAT McNaughton Geoff 1988-06-20 5'11" 168 D L Dartmouth MAAA NS
5 74 MON Bodnarchuk Andrew 1988-07-11 5'9" 153 W L Dartmouth MAAA NS
8 127 CAP Cheverie Marc 1987-02-22 6'2" 191 G L Dartmouth MAAA NS

And i felt that Gallagher and Jeff McNeil should have been picked as well. Both are 88's.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Andrew Joudrey also played for the Subways. Went to Notre Dame prep school and was drafted by Washington in last years draft.

marc-andre

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Sheppard- will be in Cape Breton
Marchand-will be in Moncton
Bennet-Has a good shot at staying with Gatinaue
Hillier- I think we all knew he would be in a moose uniform
McNaughton- Will most likely be back in midget next year then Gatineau the next..
Bona- Who know's? apparently the NCAA is plan A, we'll have to wait and see
Gallagher- will be headed to the NCAA in a few years, but stayin with the subs for another.
Cheverie- Just as most assumed will be going the NCAA after next year where he will play at Notre Dame.
Wall- Mooseheads... very solid goalie.
Nolan- WIll have the oppurtunity to play college
Gallant- Cape Breton
Saulnier- Team canada U18 hopeful (Mooseheads)
Hawes- A monster playing for the Rocket
B chaisson- Tough player in Shawingan
Tweed- Rouyn Noranda turning into a solid fighter
Welton- Is an extremely gifted D-man....if he had more size he would have probably been taken in last months draft.
Verge- Has improved soo much over the last few years (Lewiston)
Jourdrey- U of Wisconson (WCHA) and Washington Draft Pick
Gordon- St. Cloud State University (WCHA) and Washington draft pick
Nicholson- Lake Superior State University (CCHA)
Urqhart- PEI Rocket and Montreal draft pick
Crosby- I don't really have anything to say thats not already been said
These are just players that have come out of the system in the last 4 or 5 years and there are lots more to come...Sorry about the spelling

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Good job Marc-Andre but Wall wont be in Halifax.

He SHOULD have been playing Teir II this season and playing another year of Midget didnt help things out.

He will probably be in JR A next year.

marc-andre

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
I think that right now he is their number two guy...Kennedy this past years draft pick is no where near ready, and trottier is a little old to be a rookie. That leaves Bracegirdle who is a solid goalie and will challenge for a spot. Right now I'd say Wall will be on the team,,,Unless the moose acquire another goalie.....or have they already?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
marc-andre said:
I think that right now he is their number two guy...Kennedy this past years draft pick is no where near ready, and trottier is a little old to be a rookie. That leaves Bracegirdle who is a solid goalie and will challenge for a spot. Right now I'd say Wall will be on the team,,,Unless the moose acquire another goalie.....or have they already?

Kennedy will probably be the back up if he reports. He is leaning NCAA so the quicke Halifax gets him in the better.

Trottier is too old you are right.

Wall would be a decent back up, IF Kennedy was more a sure thing to report, but because of the NCAA looming HFX may work something out so that he is with the team this season.

marc-andre

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
That will be interesting to see..but Kennedy is only young and just turned 16 he may not report this year but the next maybe keep his options open much like Nathan Welton did 2 years ago and ended up with the remparts last year...but it would be nice to see two Atlantic Canadian goalies tending for the moose or even two Newfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad