Danrik's Fantasy Draft - Signup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Draiman

Hey gang, I opted to rework my idea for the new fantasy draft I want to run for a number of reasons. The last one took so long to get going I felt worried that a few of the GMs had perhaps lost interest. Also, I felt the rules were a bit more complicated than necessary and preferred just to simplify them... The way I figure it, it's better to do that sort of thing now then later and if a GM really was still interested in the other league, he can just sign up for this new idea.

The framework of this league should be fairly straightforward. The cap will be $50M, get the salaries (last years) from USAToday.com, 30 rounds with NHL teams and players, trades allowed (just make sure you have 20 players to fill out your roster at the end of the draft) and please take two teams each (preferably back to back to keep things from dragging on and on). The draft order will be based on this years entry draft and will be zig-zag. All drafted players (2004 included) are eligible. To start us off, the time limit will be 12 hours per pick, but this is subject to change. In previous leagues I've been in, we put in time slots, that might be somewhat effective here mind you with a certain amount of tinkering... If you can't handle two teams, we'll still take you, it's just a preference that you take two.

And to clarify this isn't a league, it's just a fun draft for bragging rights. Perhaps we could do a series of polls at the end to determine which team is the best overall, has the best goaltending, the best defense, etc... Good practice for real leagues and a lot less demanding of everyone's time. If someone wants to step up to the plate and make this into a league, go for it, but I don't really want to at this point...

Any questions can be asked via PM or posted here. It might even be a good idea for us to circulate MSN names and emails if we want to make dealing and what not work better.

Here's the order:

1) Washington Capitals - BlueBleeder
2) Pittsburgh Penguins - PensFan95
3) Chicago Blackhawks - monster_bertuzzi
4) Columbus Blue Jackets - Nomis
5) Phoenix Coyotes - 2forsbergaura1
6) New York Rangers - Lehtonen32
7) Florida Panthers - Jon Burke (aka Danrik V.2)
8) Carolina Hurricanes - Jon Burke (aka Danrik V.2)
9) Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Shoalzie
10) Atlanta Thrashers - Shoalzie
11) Los Angeles Kings - pizzlybear
12) Minnesota Wild - pizzlybear
13) Buffalo Sabres -12# Peter Bondra
14) Edmonton Oilers - jcorb58
15) Nashville Predators - jcorb58
16) New York Islanders - BlueBleeder
17) St. Louis Blues - 12# Peter Bondra
18) Montreal Canadiens - Ultimo Roger
19) Calgary Flames - Shadow
20) Dallas Stars - Shadow
21) Colorado Avalanche - 2forsbergaura1
22) New Jersey Devils - VanIslander
23) Ottawa Senators - Nomis
24) Toronto Maple Leafs
25) Philadelphia Flyers
26) Vancouver Canucks - jtuzzi21
27) Boston Bruins - VanIslander
28) San Jose Sharks - VanIslander
29) Detroit Red Wings - wolfen
30) Tampa Bay Lightning - wolfen

Thanks for joining and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

David Draiman

jtuzzi21 said:
Why not do a random draft order?

People are going to take Washington on purpose now
I think its better to let people pick their teams, and then do a draft order.

I'll take the Canucks

Perhaps it is better to do a random order but does it really matter where you pick? The draft is in zig-zag format, so even if you pick first overall, you'll have to wait until the end of the second round to pick. Believe it or not, that does make a difference.

I've also learned that people tend to take teams that they are a fan of no matter where they pick. I think Eugene (2forsbergaura1) is an Avs fan, so he picked the Avs. PensFan95 is a Pens fan, so he took the Pens. Case in point: Washington has not been snatched up yet...

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I have been trying for YEARS to explain to people the same thing, that where you pick in the 1st doesnt matter much because the 2nd is in reverse order.

and ye,i'm an AVS fan but i also wanted to go at the end of the 1st on PURPOSE, so i have a HIGH 2nd round pick then! sometimes it pays off to go later in the 1st...it does for me

wolfen

Jan 26, 2003
seattle
Visit site
Danrik V.2 said:
Perhaps it is better to do a random order but does it really matter where you pick? The draft is in zig-zag format, so even if you pick first overall, you'll have to wait until the end of the second round to pick. Believe it or not, that does make a difference.

of course it matters... early in the first round vs late in the first round both have advantages and disadvantages, and they're about even overall, but it does make a big difference in how you draft.

maybe I just didn't notice this, but what's the deal with the 04 draft class and with players who haven't played in the nhl yet?

could you send PM's to people who signed up in the other thread so they know about the changes and the need to sign up again?

David Draiman

wolfen said:
of course it matters... early in the first round vs late in the first round both have advantages and disadvantages, and they're about even overall, but it does make a big difference in how you draft.

maybe I just didn't notice this, but what's the deal with the 04 draft class and with players who haven't played in the nhl yet?

could you send PM's to people who signed up in the other thread so they know about the changes and the need to sign up again?

You may draft whoever you like, as long as they have been drafted by an NHL team and are an active player.

I could send PMs out but I'll be honest and admit I don't really want to unless necessary.

May I assume you're in? Which teams would you like to have?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Danrik V.2 said:

I've also learned that people tend to take teams that they are a fan of no matter where they pick. I think Eugene (2forsbergaura1) is an Avs fan, so he picked the Avs. PensFan95 is a Pens fan, so he took the Pens. Case in point: Washington has not been snatched up yet...
Still do a random order... it is way more even
just before the draft draw names out of a hat.
picking 1st is way bigger than picking last and 1st in the 2nd round, its a huge difference.
just do it random to make it more fair.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
guys how about you let DANRIK decide what he wants to do with his own draft? dont you think he has that right since he is starting this and will be putting in the work?

suggestions are kewl, but why straight out tell him what to do? i'm not trying to be his buddy guard but i know how much work it is to set up a draft and so he deserves better than people telling him what to do

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
2forsbergaura1 said:
guys how about you let DANRIK decide what he wants to do with his own draft? dont you think he has that right since he is starting this and will be putting in the work?

suggestions are kewl, but why straight out tell him what to do? i'm not trying to be his buddy guard but i know how much work it is to set up a draft and so he deserves better than people telling him what to do
I'm not, im making a suggestion.
It makes sense to keep the draft fairer, so people don't just pick the teams that are drafting early. A random draft order is much more fair and balanced, and that is my suggestion.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
suggestions is somethign like this:

"how about we do a random draft"

what u said is:
"Still do a random order... it is way more even.just before the draft draw names out of a hat."
"just do it random to make it more fair."

i feel that its a matter of opinion what system is more FAIR, the whole concept of what is and isnt fair is a matter of opinion...just like what DANRIK decided to do should be a matter of his opinion and choosing. he shouldnt be dictated to...but i will end it here cause i dont want to talk for him...he will agree anyhow

David Draiman

Within reason I am willing to listen to suggestions, but let's keep things in perspective here. I have organized this draft in the format you see now and you all have signed up under this format. I had my reasons for picking Florida and Carolina, I'm not really a fan of either team, and I'm sure others picked teams based on these rules. Is it truly fair to change them now?

I understand where you are coming from with the random order and I'm willing to give it some further thought but I still see half of the top ten teams have not been taken yet. The basis of your argument seems to be that a random order is more fair, yet I have given each and everyone of you pretty much a fair chance to pick high, and many of you guys have declined. Sure I claimed a pair of top ten picks, but you guys still had the opportunity. Plus people like Eugene (2forsbergaura1) prefer to pick later in the first round and have an early second rounder. The fact is that the talent pool is not so thin that someone picking 27th will get Wade Belak, in fact, I think I'd rather pick late in the first and early in the second and perhaps nab Doan and Marleau then drafting say Heatley and O'Neill or something. We all have our certain draft preferences, and knowing the order beforehand will allow people to more easily draft the way that they would like.

Anyways, that's all I have to say in reply to this for now. I will give your suggestion some more thought, as I always do. Your input is always welcome. :)

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
DANRIK is too nice. DANRIK, just please dont change the system again and have us sign up all over again :lol

PEOPLE, this is a DRAFT...not even going to be a LEAGUE. just a FUN draft...so lets keep the FUN in it and the technicalities out of it ?

David Draiman

2forsbergaura1 said:
DANRIK is too nice. DANRIK, just please dont change the system again and have us sign up all over again :lol

Don't give me ideas ;)

Nah, I plan to take the ball and run with it this time. :)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
ah...whatever

not a big deal to me, i'd just rather have a random order.

if not, thats cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->