Denmark: Danish Prospects

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Hey a revolution doesn't always get everything it sets out to achieve :rant:

... Okay okay you got me. Malmø is the exception for me. I don't know why. I even thought about about and decided that Malmø is Malmø while Rögle is Rögle.

I am rather torn on this issue. I usually prefer to spell Malmö with an ö, but I suspect spelling it with an ø is the correct Danish spelling. Cities of note can have an established Danish spelling. Rögle - outside of hockey - is virtually unknown in Denmark and so they don't have a Danish spelling.

But, as this is an English language forum, I think the most correct spelling would be either Swedish or English. And since spelling it Malmo and Rogle just feels wrong, I say stick to the Swedish spelling.

As an aside, I have Finnish friends who get slightly offended when Danes use Swedish names for Finnish cities: Helsingfors over Helsinki, Ã…bo over Turku and so on. Undoubtedly, the Swedish names are easier on the Danish tongue, but I honestly don't know if the Swedish names are also official Danish names.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I think both Swedish and Finnish names are accepted in Danish, but over the last several years, I think more and more people use the Finnish names, and they have slowly become the commonly used ones. At least I don't see the Swedish names a lot any more, unless it is older documents.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I am rather torn on this issue. I usually prefer to spell Malmö with an ö, but I suspect spelling it with an ø is the correct Danish spelling. Cities of note can have an established Danish spelling. Rögle - outside of hockey - is virtually unknown in Denmark and so they don't have a Danish spelling.

But, as this is an English language forum, I think the most correct spelling would be either Swedish or English. And since spelling it Malmo and Rogle just feels wrong, I say stick to the Swedish spelling.

As an aside, I have Finnish friends who get slightly offended when Danes use Swedish names for Finnish cities: Helsingfors over Helsinki, Ã…bo over Turku and so on. Undoubtedly, the Swedish names are easier on the Danish tongue, but I honestly don't know if the Swedish names are also official Danish names.

Warning, looong rant - it's time for one I guess, but it is not to be taken to seriously :sarcasm: and I only speak generally not to anyone in particular

Well Swedish is an official language in Finland, so both names are equally correct.
Most of the towns are actually founded by Swedes, so I don't know why Finnish people should be offended as most (if not all) languages has a name for foreign towns and countries in THEIR OWN dictionary. Should they offended if you call them finns when they are suomalainen?
Should we be offended that Finnish people call our nation "Tanska" and we are tanskalainen and Sweden is "Ruotsi" and swedes are ruotsalainen??
Should we be offended that english speaking people call København for Copenhagen and Helsingør for Elsinore?
Should Italians be offended we Danes call Venezia for Venedig (which is the German word for it by the way).
Should "Hungarians" been offended that english speaking people call their nation for "Hungary" when they are actually Magyar living in Magyarország.

If you go to "Bangkok" remember the name is actually:
Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit [or short just Krung Thep Mahanakhon]
meaning:
The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.

Now that is an impressive mouthful!
Is it offensive if you can't pronounce it?

Malmø and Røgle is in Skåne and that was Danish before it was Swedish, so why should we change our spelling just because they conquered it later?
Denmark has in fact a locality called Røgle, so it is a correct "Danish" place name.
Also spelled Røjle, it means in Old Danish a "stacked pile of sheaf" (Danish korn-neg), and can also be used about a "long low crest" on a agricultural field.
Source for place: http://www.fugleognatur.dk/lokalitetintro.aspx?ID=39747
Source for etymology: http://ordnet.dk/ods/ordbog?query=røgle

Danish could in fact have two different vowels as you actually see in some older books: Øxe and Øre, but Örred and Smör as anyone will hear are two different sounds. This is a change that would make sense. Other changes doesn't: x -> ks & aa -> å are other "horrible" developments, the last one actually from Swedish :shakehead where is originally was a ligature for the "ao" sound, but in Danish surnames it stayed unchanged so Aagaard and not Ågård.
That's why I always spells it SønderjydskE and not SønderjyskE - jysk is the modern post 1955 spelling - if anyone wondered. En jyde er jydsk, unless he is a "jye" being jysk??

People can always find a reason to be offended if they want to. [Apparently also me with some nonsense modern spellings :laugh: but at least we avoided the "Majonæse effect" as they had in Norway with Skokolade & Sitron for instance].

If people*spelled the way they spoke (as you always hear people say when they have trouble spelling) where I live now it would be "Kaf og Te'e" and it would be chaos trying to understand other dialects written down!
Example: This "famous" sentence "Jeg er ude på øen i åen, er jeg" (Litt: I am out on the island in the river, am I) in some parts of western Jutland it would be
A æ u o æ ø i æ å, æ a
but in Thy they would say the same sentence:
Æ æ u po æ ø i æ o, æ æ
Source: http://forum.skalman.nu/viewtopic.php?t=39183

Try to give texts like that in writing for Danish exams in Copenhagen :laugh:

If you are ready for a really hard dialect - this guy from Trøndelag (0.21 min in) even defeats other Norwegians that are used to hear much more dialects in their media.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Xgnx0oy-Q
Wonder how it would look if they wrote the way they spoke............:naughty:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Seems no one has mentioned that Morten Poulsen has signed with Pelicans in Finland. That means he will team up with Stefan Lassen next season

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Seems no one has mentioned that Morten Poulsen has signed with Pelicans in Finland. That means he will team up with Stefan Lassen next season

Had missed that. Thanks for the info.
Good to see a lot of Danish players "upgrading" lately be better leagues.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

It's a good transfer for him. He has been good in Austria this year, hopefully he can continue it in Finland.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Patrick Russell has signed a two-year entry-level contract with Edmonton Oilers, so a good chance he will be playing some AHL next year!
Source: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/oilers-ink-patrick-russell-two-year-deal/
& http://www.faceoff.dk/patrick-russell-skriver-kontrakt-med-nhl-klub/

I am intrigued by this as it is only the second time it is done with a Danish player. First one was Markus Lauridsen. Is it something we will see more of in the years to come?

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Russell took the same route as lauridsen bros...if he can end up with an shl contract in the end then that's not half bad...nice to see continued increased focus on Danish talent

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
"The hockey writers" have combined NHL Central Scouting's final rankings (North American Skaters, International Skaters, North American Goalies and International Goalies) in one list:

NHL Central Scouting’s Final Rankings Combined

According to the list we will get 1 player drafted: Mathias From will be taken in the 5th round as no. 134.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
I don't think that it has been mentioned here before, but also Lucas Andersen from Rødovre will go to Sweden next season. He is going to play for Malmö Redhawks, and will likely play both U18 Elit and U20 SuperElit.

danishdynamite

Jan 11, 2011
From St. Louis board:

"-Nikolaj Krag-Christensen: After Helt's great day yesterday, I decided to shift it to NKC today. I gotta say, he was just as, if not more impressive than Helt. He was in a group with Blais today and they both looked like the best in any drill they were doing. Krag is such a shifty player and uses his agility very well. He can be going one up the boards, and in the very next second, could break the defenseman's ankles doing a switch back. The part that really caught my eye was how he handled the puck during shots. Most of the guys would typically have the puck in the middle of the blade to gain better control. Krag would have it at the tip of his blade during every shot to gain more torque on the initial release. It was such a subtle difference, but the results made every shot Krag had seem much more powerful than the others. I also think it creates a more deceptive release because Ruck was having so much trouble stopping anyt"hing Krag threw at him. Like Helt, both made great first impressions.

"In all seriousness though, I'm just impressed that they've been so notable. I look at Tschantz and Dunda and both of them seem like what 7th/6th rounders are supposed to be. In drills, both Helt and Krag look like legitimate options. Then in scrimmages, they both have flashes have great play. I know they shouldn't be hyped because the chances of any 7th rounder making it are about nil, let alone two on the same team. For now though, I think we shouldn't disregard them just yet. I mean both are just really fun to watch if nothing else."

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Anyone seen Christian Wejse play? Looks like a possible late rounder for the 2017 draft. Captaining the national team and regular on Danish champions Esbjerg.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Anyone seen Christian Wejse play? Looks like a possible late rounder for the 2017 draft. Captaining the national team and regular on Danish champions Esbjerg.

I haven't seen him play first hand, but from what I have streamed/read;

- Good leading skills and good size, not that flashy and not a sniper, but a reliable forward with good overall skills and strong in PK
- He will most likely go to NA and play for Blainville-Boisbriand Armada who took him in the CHL Import Draft
- He was elected top 3 player on team at the U18 WJC

He could have a chance to be a late round pick if he has a successful year in QMJHL.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Any Finns, tell me why there is a Finish Wiki page on Jonas Røndbjerg, a very limited one I know, but still! :)

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Thank you, ImGoingNucks. It's good to see that he has adjusted well to his new school and team.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Steve Kournianos at The Draft Analyst has made a Top-500 for the 2017 NHL Draft (february edition).

With 8, an astonishing number of Danish players have found their way to the list, and 4 are in the top 300.

Now, to be on the list is certainly no guarantee that you will be drafted, but it is very impressive nevertheless, and it is also a testimony to how far Denmark has come with its youth hockey program.

The danish players on the list are:

65 Jonas Røndbjerg, Växjö Lakers HC J20 (F)
146 Oliver Gatz-Nielsen, Herning (D)
253 Malte Setkov, Malmö J20 (D)
281 Oliver Larsen, Odense (D)
311 Daniel Andersen, Linköping HC J20 (D)
369 Christian Wejse, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (F)
414 Jeppe Mogensen, AIK J18 (D)
441 David Madsen, Växjö Lakers HC J20 (F)

They are all first time draft eligible.

With 3 defenders and a forward in the top 300 and with 5 defenders out of 8 players on the list, we are (at last) starting to produce top end defense prospects. A development we have also been able to witness on the U20 national team the last couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->