Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong Progress

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think it's more likely if we win this series to see spronger in the next. Hard to imagine them trusting him in an elimination game
Game Seven isn't considered an elimination game?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

By default Game Seven is always an elimination game. If you don't trust a player in Game Six-where a loss means you're done- how are the pressures of Game Seven any different?

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
As much as I like Sprong, I doubt he would make enough difference to solve the shortcomings of multiple positions. Not saying he would not be an improvement, but unless you have something to solve the defensive break downs and Murray to be a bit sharper I just don't think it's enough.

I think, in retrospect, that Sprong probably buries one or more of the chances Simon has had this series. Perhaps it changes the complexion of everything, but we will never know for sure.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
- Do I want Sprong in the lineup? I do. I'm a very big fan of his and have been since his time in the Q before we had him. Do I see a realistic spot where he can swap in at the moment? Hmm, I'm not real sure unless Rust somehow learns to play his off-wing after lunch today...and given what's got going on right now, I'm not sure we need to complicate his game any. Sprong can play in the NHL now, but so can a lot of guys that are already in the lineup...so it can be tough to manage a little bit. I respect that.

Here's how you could get Sprong in the lineup:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Sprong
Simon - Brassard - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Rust

Swap around players in the bottom 9 based on play.

That provides puck retrieval as well as a scoring threat on each line. It does get a bit riskier on the PK taking Kuhnhackl out, but with Hagelin back, I'm not sure that's as much of a worry.

That said, I'd be very surprised if that happened. Mostly because if anyone in pro hockey actually listened to me as to how to run their team, they'd likely be in trouble... :laugh:

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Here's how you could get Sprong in the lineup:

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Malkin - Sprong
Simon - Brassard - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Rust

Swap around players in the bottom 9 based on play.

That provides puck retrieval as well as a scoring threat on each line. It does get a bit riskier on the PK taking Kuhnhackl out, but with Hagelin back, I'm not sure that's as much of a worry.

That said, I'd be very surprised if that happened. Mostly because if anyone in pro hockey actually listened to me as to how to run their team, they'd likely be in trouble... :laugh:
Honestly you can sit Simon without much issue. HCMS has enough clout at this point to make whatever lineup decisions he wants, but he must feel there is value in Simon we(I) are not seeing totally.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Outside of about 2 weeks in January, Simon has been mostly useless and at times a turnover machine. It's pretty baffling that Simon gets a longer leash than Sprong.
I've been very critical of HCMS on this, but I figure he's coached 2 cups for us and been a very good leader for the most part. I just love the potential of Sprong. I've not been as excited to see someone come up as him in quite a while.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I've been very critical of HCMS on this, but I figure he's coached 2 cups for us and been a very good leader for the most part. I just love the potential of Sprong. I've not been as excited to see someone come up as him in quite a while.

Just about every coach has favorites/teacher's pets that are barely NHL players. I'd like to see Rutherford just make it so Simon is not an option next season.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm not seeing Simon being as terrible as some of you make him out to be. I see a rookie that makes rookie mistakes, and needs more time to work on his game. He shouldn't have been playing this postseason, but some of you think he's the next Craig Adams. Get a grip.

Reactions: zero8771

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Simon's a solid young player. If you think he's a problem that needs to be excised after the half-rookie season he just had, you're wrong.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Simon's a solid young player. If you think he's a problem that needs to be excised after the half-rookie season he just had, you're wrong.
I'm not sure where he fits in here.
Horny, Kessel, Sheary (unless dealt), Rust, Hags, Geuntzel, Sprong, ZAR, Kuhn, Simon..

Depth guy who should never play above most of those guys I think. He's quick but not fast. Not super strong on the boards. Perhaps some scoring but no more than Sheary would give you. Not really an energy guy for the most part. I did not see on D from him, but maybe because he is young.

I would sign him for depth.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Simon is a perfect Sheary replacement. No one knows how good he will be (he certainly wasn't great or consistent these playoffs) but he has shown some good flashes at times and could end up being a really solid player. Perhaps for him to be in our line up full time going forward, he will need to show he can be used on the PK. He has a good skill set and will be cheap to re-sign. How many players have we seen only peak in their mid/late 20s who have shown less than even Simon has. I would certainly give him a full year next year before making any judgement.

Sprong, on the other hand, will have a full season next year and is part of the solution -- because what killed us these playoffs is a complete lack of secondary scoring: Sheary, Rust, Brassard, Simon, Kuhnhackl, Sheahan (even though the latter was great defensively and created some chances). We need some guys who can produce, period. Sprong is part of that solution. We expected Sheary to but that didn't happen. Having Kessel, Hornqvist & Sprong as our top 3 line RWs gives us a compelling and dangerous offensive threat.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Simon is a perfect Sheary replacement. No one knows how good he will be (he certainly wasn't great or consistent these playoffs) but he has shown some good flashes at times and could end up being a really solid player. Perhaps for him to be in our line up full time going forward, he will need to show he can be used on the PK. He has a good skill set and will be cheap to re-sign. How many players have we seen only peak in their mid/late 20s who have shown less than even Simon has. I would certainly give him a full year next year before making any judgement.

Sprong, on the other hand, will have a full season next year and is part of the solution -- because what killed us these playoffs is a complete lack of secondary scoring: Sheary, Rust, Brassard, Simon, Kuhnhackl, Sheahan (even though the latter was great defensively and created some chances). We need some guys who can produce, period. Sprong is part of that solution. We expected Sheary to but that didn't happen. Having Kessel, Hornqvist & Sprong as our top 3 line RWs gives us a compelling and dangerous offensive threat.

That's exactly how I see it: Simon is a cheaper Sheary alternative. Can do spot duty on the first line and can occasionally jumpstart Sid, but don't expect him to continue to do it

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Pens really needed an infusion of good young players with fresh legs in this PO run, like the Caps had. It’s disappointing to me that the one young player they have with speed and skill did not get in any series....I don’t really understand that because ZAR and Simon are meh players, not difference makers. Unfortunately we don’t have a stock pile of players in the AHL anymore like Sheary, Rust and Jake who have the speed and skill to make a difference in a PO run...Sprong is it and that Sully didn’t play him in the series when he saw the injuries and lack of secondary scoring was troubling...especially when you consider that Simon made so many mistakes yet he kept getting a jersey...incredible

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Wild fan here,

May I ask for a summary of how Daniel Sprong is progressing? I hear that he has extremely high upside as a RW but, he's 21 and still in the QMJHL. Is there a reason for this?

What would his value be in a trade?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Wild fan here,

May I ask for a summary of how Daniel Sprong is progressing? I hear that he has extremely high upside as a RW but, he's 21 and still in the QMJHL. Is there a reason for this?

What would his value be in a trade?

Uh he played a full season in the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad