Prospect Info: Daniel Sprong Progress

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Personally I would like to see Sprong in because it could potentially boost Brassard. It would limit Sprong's minutes and responsibilities, while also providing him a worth while center. Kuhnackl can play the left and provide the defense for the line. Sheary isn't doing anything, Brassard isn't doing anything, they need to mix it up.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Personally I would like to see Sprong in because it could potentially boost Brassard. It would limit Sprong's minutes and responsibilities, while also providing him a worth while center. Kuhnackl can play the left and provide the defense for the line. Sheary isn't doing anything, Brassard isn't doing anything, they need to mix it up.

Sully at this point isn't going to risk admitting a mistake. It's just the way coaches are in all sports. If he would insert Sprong and the kid has a monster game, in Sully's mind he knows people will question why he waited so long.

But if he plays Sprong next year and he does well, then he can point to the patience in adding him to the roster as the key.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Sprong needs to be in the line up today for either Sheary or Kessel (depending on the extent of his injury).
Sprong needs to be in the line up today for either Sheary or Kessel (depending on the extent of his injury).
It has to be Shari, I still take a hobbled an useless Phil over Shari any day. Hopefully Shari lights it up tonight and proves me wrong.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Shearys is one of the few Pens that have actually played with some pace.

In a series with no room for error, not even thinking Sprong. Groom him in the pros next season and see what happens.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kessel was better and if he's feeling as well, he should obviously be in.

Therefore, Sprong needs to be in for Sheary. Sheary not only isn't creating anything on his own, but he's not getting Brassard going. We're not going to take out Brassard (nor should we), so we need to find another way to get the line going.

We need an injection of something new to get the team going. Sprong could be it. Worth a try, because what we're doing right now isn't working. Sprong has more offensive ability than Sheary, and his defensive game is at least equal. No brainer to me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Kessel was better and if he's feeling as well, he should obviously be in.

Therefore, Sprong needs to be in for Sheary. Sheary not only isn't creating anything on his own, but he's not getting Brassard going. We're not going to take out Brassard (nor should we), so we need to find another way to get the line going.

We need an injection of something new to get the team going. Sprong could be it. Worth a try, because what we're doing right now isn't working. Sprong has more offensive ability than Sheary, and his defensive game is at least equal. No brainer to me.
I mean, sheary was pretty key to creating our first goal yesterday. If we want to try something I guess go for it. But I see a team who has lost a few coin flip games in a very tight series, and I see a line that just played it's best game of the series and finally contributed. Not saying it can't be worth it to make a change, but I will be surprised if it happens. I'd easily sit Simon over sheary after last night.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I mean, sheary was pretty key to creating our first goal yesterday. If we want to try something I guess go for it. But I see a team who has lost a few coin flip games in a very tight series, and I see a line that just played it's best game of the series and finally contributed. Not saying it can't be worth it to make a change, but I will be surprised if it happens. I'd easily sit Simon over sheary after last night.
I'd sit one of em for sure but honestly I've never watched sprong play an ahl game so no idea what kind of liability that would be

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Sprong didn't come in before, he's not coming in for Sheary now after he just had his best game of the playoffs.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If Sprong didn't come in before, he's not coming in for Sheary now after he just had his best game of the playoffs.
What about Kessel? When I saw he was practicing with the team, I wondered if it was as much about making a point to certain players as it was about him getting some time in.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I can't see any way Kessel comes out, especially in an elimination game. I don't think he should, either.
His play improved somewhat after Sprong started practicing, that added to my wondering. So did Sheary, come to think of it. I doubt we'll see Sprong, I doubt the line-up changes, TBH, because despite the, erm, gaffes some made the team played well overall and I don't see Sully changing it. I was just just curious about your thoughts.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Nothing to lose, give me a shot at Sprong in place of Simon or Sheary.

Don't know if it'll matter either way, but having someone with a much better scoring touch than either of those two guys could tip the scales when one of our biggest issues has been with finishing the numerous chances we're generating for ourselves.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
What's the reason for not trying Guentzel - Sid - Sprong? Simon is limited in what he can do out there. I just think Sprong and his natural ability of finding soft spots and ripping shots would be a good fit for 2 high hockey IQ players.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
So move Hornqvist back with Crosby, and insert Sprong onto Malkin's line in place of Simon.

Now the Crosby line is back to having it's best trio, and Malkin actually has someone who can finish his passes.

No problem with this -- and Hagelin's defensive consciousness and hustle can help provide extra defensive support for the less-experienced Sprong.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I think it's more likely if we win this series to see spronger in the next. Hard to imagine them trusting him in an elimination game

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Simon has the ability to chase and get to loose pick which is huge.

Its one of the things Spring is absolutely terrible at. If it was just about scoring and ability... He would be up already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->