Player Discussion: Daniel Alfredsson

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Not bothered. He's done a lot for Ottawa both on and off the ice. (Some) NHL fans are unreasonable sometimes. If he would have been traded for a 3rd, they would have been okay with it. It's a bit like the (ridiculous) Sundin situation all over again. Loyalty goes both ways.

Franzén-Zetterberg-Alfredsson line in Sochi?

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Sens fans are going bananas, he wasn't offered a contract and the hate on him for signing with another team.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Really strange, but I thought it was strange when there wasn't a deal to re-sign with Ottawa right after after his decision to keep playing.

Will enjoy watching him in the Winged Wheel next season for sure. Think he can still get about 50 points.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
One of the guys in the league it's hard to see in another jersey, maybe the hardest. But he doesn't deserve any crap from anybody, just because you've stayed with a team for 17 years doesn't make the 18th an automatic. Free agency is free agency.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
One of the guys in the league it's hard to see in another jersey, maybe the hardest. But he doesn't deserve any crap from anybody, just because you've stayed with a team for 17 years doesn't make the 18th an automatic. Free agency is free agency.

i'm quite used to alfie in a wings jersey. being one of my favorite non-wings player, i think i traded for him in every EA sports game on day 1. he already played for detroit in the 90s. :sarcasm::D

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Here's my fan thoughts:

* Classy as Foppa. And a big contributor if Sweden wins in Sotji. By getting rid of the "C" he now can concentrate on leading a swedish third line there. Injecting some balls into our previous weak spot. Maybe the olympics is his main goal. As well as a Stanley Cup with the Wedding Rings. And maybe his production might rise this year. Pointing towards even another year? With Senators!?

* In Detroit he knows he will play with top players. And it seems like pure fun and old top athlete-ish wanting to infuse some energy and will to summertraining. Plus, maybe it mirrors his personality to make these kind of decisions. Plus, you've got to wonder if he was treated as well as he wished at this stage of his career. Like they thought he was through?

PS. The Ryan trade happened quickly. Did Alfie know about this going on and didn't like it?

Last edited:

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
Sad to see him go. In my personal opinion, given the circumstances, he should have retired or remained in Ottawa.

Its going to be awkward since Detroit will be in the same division as Ottawa, and even more so if the two teams will face each other in the playoffs.

I doubt I will cheer for him when he returns.

The only way this move can be justified, in hindsight, is literally only if Detroit wins the Stanley cup. Which would be a long-shot of a prediction.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Because of the butthurt Ottawa fans, Ottawa is now together with Pittsburgh my least favourite NHL team.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Don't agree with you guys at all.

I recently did two comments in the "Alfredsson talk II" thread in the Senators forum.

I'm not sure if you guys really understand how big Alfredsson was in Ottawa??? The guy was a living legend, a half god and a role model to millions of people. Even bigger and more popular than Sundin and Salming in Toronto. So much bigger in Ottawa than he never, ever will become in Sweden. This strange decision changed it all though, in a second. Lots and lots of people will never ever understand, that's for sure.

It's like the King of Sweden would emigrate to Norway for the money or something like that, Alfredsson was huge.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=70339729&postcount=537

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=70340057&postcount=540

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Don't agree with you guys at all.

I recently did two comments in the "Alfredsson talk II" thread in the Senators forum.

I'm not sure if you guys really understand how big Alfredsson was in Ottawa??? The guy was a living legend, a half god and a role model to millions of people. Even bigger and more popular than Sundin and Salming in Toronto. So much bigger in Ottawa than he never, ever will become in Sweden. This strange decision changed it all though, in a second. Lots and lots of people will never ever understand, that's for sure.

It's like the King of Sweden would emigrate to Norway for the money or something like that, Alfredsson was huge.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=70339729&postcount=537

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=70340057&postcount=540

He got jerked around by Ottawa management and got reminded that there are other options. The more he thought about it the more it made sense to try out a top end organisation like Detroit after being in a small market team for 17 years.

It makes perfect sense, the year in Detroit will give him perspective on his time in Ottawa and hopefully give him a shot at the cup. Detroit is a significantly better built team than Ottawa. Teams with internal/budget caps never wins Stanley cup.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He got jerked around by Ottawa management and got reminded that there are other options. The more he thought about it the more it made sense to try out a top end organisation like Detroit after being in a small market team for 17 years.

It makes perfect sense, the year in Detroit will give him perspective on his time in Ottawa and hopefully give him a shot at the cup. Detroit is a significantly better built team than Ottawa. Teams with internal/budget caps never wins Stanley cup.

Nobody would have jerked around with Alfredsson in Ottawa, his status is about 5 times higher than the entire management in Ottawa combined. If he would have threatened to leave for another team things would have happened, believe me. Alfredsson WANTED to leave, he was ready to leave and that what's he told his agent, I'm almost sure about that now.

Sacrificing his hockey god like status in Ottawa for a slightly better chance in winning the cup?

Two different versions/theories:
1. Alfredsson, the captain of Ottawa Senators for 4 years, no longer believing in his own team mates, thinking they are not good enough for winning the cup?

A good way of saying good bye and thank you?

2. Extremely rich and healthy after 20 years in Ottawa, now he wants to push every single dollar out of a new contract as a 40 year old, are you freaking kidding me?

Detroit may have a slightly better chance in winning the cup next season but it wouldn't suprise me at all if Ottawa finish ahead of them. Ottawa is a young rising team, Detroit is not the same legendary team as it used to be. Personally I consider Detroit as a dark horse this season. Young and rising teams like Ottawa is always extremely hard to predict.

This doesn't impress me at all, that's for sure. I feel with all Ottawa Senators fans.

and Detroit? Is this a better place for his family, no way. It wasn't a family decision, that's for sure. Detroit is something like St Louis, cities with huge problems and high crime rate.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I frankly don't get that view. Even if he said I'm leaving for more money he should be respected for what he's done. Plus he's already said it straight out it was a selfish decision, so that can hardly be news almost two months later.

Alfie has played in Ottawa for nothing but bargains. He's close to a career point per game player and has earned on average about $3.5M/year. In eight years of salary cap, his cap hit was always below $5M. I can't even begin to imagine how much money he's brought to that franchise, rather than the other way around.

So to say he's greedy now, just because he wanted a new challenge and to play with some other veteran Swedes(that IS a factor), I'm not buying it. Sorry it didn't follow the sentimental plan, it rarely does in sports.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Detroit may have a slightly better chance in winning the cup next season but it wouldn't suprise me at all if Ottawa finish ahead of them. Ottawa is a young rising team, Detroit is not the same legendary team as it used to be.
A young team on the rise? That's what the Wings are. Lots of good, young players got valuable experience last season and will be ready to contribute more now. They also don't have the limitation of an internal cap.

and Detroit? Is this a better place for his family, no way. It wasn't a family decision, that's for sure. Detroit is something like St Louis, cities with huge problems and high crime rate.
Uh, they won't actually live in Detroit.

Novi%20Signs.jpg

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I respect your points joe89 and Systemfel but I still can't understand his decision, we are all different and I'll have to respect Alfie for the person he is and I'll try to leave this subject now. ;-)

I did a typo, Alfie was Senators captain between 1999-2013, nothing else. ;-)

Hmmm personally I would never ever leave a hockey crazy Canadian city like Ottawa or Toronto having played there for 20 years, team captain and being one of the most popular guys in town and a role model to millions of people. Dreaming... ;-) The only thing which could change my mind would probably be because of family, nothing else. Alfredsson don't have and will never have the same kind of status and popularity in Sweden, never.

I just don't get it. Just thinking of all opportunities he had (blew?) in Ottawa. Perhaps being a part of Ottawa Senators management, coach, politics or what ever he is interested in.

Yes, for me, the decision is weird and strange considering Alfredssons former extremely high status and popularity i Ottawa. He was perhaps the most popular Swede in a single NHL team and city, all time. Forsberg was a better and more complete player, no single doubt, but hockey ain't the same in Denver as in a Canadian city, a huge difference.

Also, his children probably feels more Canadian than himself? Welcome to Detroit, Alfie. *sarcasm*

Last edited:

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
I respect your points joe89 and Systemfel but I still can't understand his decision, we are all different and I'll have to respect Alfie for the person he is and I'll try to leave this subject now. ;-)

I did a typo, Alfie was Senators captain between 1999-2013, nothing else. ;-)

Hmmm personally I would never ever leave a hockey crazy Canadian city like Ottawa or Toronto having played there for 20 years, team captain and being one of the most popular guys in town and a role model to millions of people. Dreaming... ;-) The only thing which could change my mind would probably be because of family, nothing else. Alfredsson don't have and will never have the same kind of status and popularity in Sweden, never.

I just don't get it. Just thinking of all opportunities he had (blew?) in Ottawa. Perhaps being a part of Ottawa Senators management, coach, politics or what ever he is interested in.

Yes, for me, the decision is weird and strange considering Alfredssons former extremely high status and popularity i Ottawa. He was perhaps the most popular Swede in a single NHL team and city, all time. Forsberg was a better and more complete player, no single doubt, but hockey ain't the same in Denver as in a Canadian city, a huge difference.

Also, his children probably feels more Canadian than himself? Welcome to Detroit, Alfie. *sarcasm*

The world doesn't revolve around what you would have done and can understand so save yourself a lot of trouble and just accept that not all think the same.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The world doesn't revolve around what you would have done and can understand so save yourself a lot of trouble and just accept that not all think the same.

I am accepting it, slowly... ;-) I'm pretty sure more will be said about this (interviews with Alfredsson etc). Personally (I'm guessing) I think he really wanted to try another team at the end of his career but he could have done it in a better more open way.

"I love Ottawa, I love the Senators, the team, the fans, everything. I want to come back and work for the organization after my career but as a last final try winning the Cup I want to try with another team.".

Something like that would have been sooo much better.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Nobody would have jerked around with Alfredsson in Ottawa, his status is about 5 times higher than the entire management in Ottawa combined. If he would have threatened to leave for another team things would have happened, believe me. Alfredsson WANTED to leave, he was ready to leave and that what's he told his agent, I'm almost sure about that now.

Sacrificing his hockey god like status in Ottawa for a slightly better chance in winning the cup?

Two different versions/theories:
1. Alfredsson, the captain of Ottawa Senators for 4 years, no longer believing in his own team mates, thinking they are not good enough for winning the cup?

2. Extremely rich and healthy after 20 years in Ottawa, now he wants to push every single dollar out of a new contract as a 40 year old, are you freaking kidding me?

Detroit may have a slightly better chance in winning the cup next season but it wouldn't suprise me at all if Ottawa finish ahead of them. Ottawa is a young rising team, Detroit is not the same legendary team as it used to be. Personally I consider Detroit as a dark horse this season. Young and rising teams like Ottawa is always extremely hard to predict.

This doesn't impress me at all, that's for sure. I feel with all Ottawa Senators fans.

Im sure you are wrong. He didnt even think about leaving until he got the offers from other clubs. He got those offers because Ottawa didnt want to compensate him (as previously agreed) for playing one season with the lowest salary of almost all players. In professional sport the money you earn shows what the organisation thinks of you.

Once he realized that there are other teams with higher ambitions who really wanted him and believed in him he started to entertain the idea of leaving Ottawa.

I would have preferred to see him stay too, this is just like the Sundin "crap" a few years ago but I have no problem understanding his wish to try something new and better before he retires. He has been in 1 small market team for 17 years, who are you to say he isnt allowed to try something else?!?!

And if you compared last years Detroit with Ottawa you would know there wouldnt be many players in Ottawa who would take the same spot in Detroit. For most of the series vs Habs, Ottawa was incredibly lucky (it was almost a joke). They didnt stand a chance versus Pens while Detroit took Chicago to 7 games and almost won.

Chicago, Pens, Boston, (even Toronto) were all significantly better that Ottawa. Ottawa fought hard but just lacked the quality to contend. Detroit got the quality and even if they arent a top 4 team they will have a chance, while Sens wont.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad