Danes in SHL 2015/2016

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Oliver Lauridsen has signed with Frølunda. I do not know terms.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::yo::yo::yo:
This is getting to be crazy! We have a very nice SHL group now.

Probably going to be a bit of a learning curve but he has shown on the national team that he can adapt to the rink size and also on discipline. Hope it goes well. This is probably the ideal situation for him to be honest. Lurked a bit on the Frølunda fan forum, and they seemed pleased but they did not know alot about him. They have not had a d-man like him for a while it sounded like. Talked about how he would be vital come playoff time.

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I don't agree. I don't think he fits SHL at all. My money is on him flunking in the SHL, but we'll see.

The risk is definitely there, but we have also seen quite a few North American D-men gain a lot from doing a year or more in the SHL. Some of them can make great strides in other areas of their game when they no longer have to focus on being more or less a 'goon'. And in this respect we can almost consider Lauridsen a North American, because his strengths and weaknesses fit the stereotype of the North American D-man to a tee.

I also think he has looked far better as an allround D-man in the last couple of World Champs than I have feared, so that should be a good sign.

I for one, am cautiously optimistic... :nod:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
:handclap::handclap::handclap::yo::yo::yo:
This is getting to be crazy! We have a very nice SHL group now.

Probably going to be a bit of a learning curve but he has shown on the national team that he can adapt to the rink size and also on discipline. Hope it goes well. This is probably the ideal situation for him to be honest. Lurked a bit on the Frølunda fan forum, and they seemed pleased but they did not know alot about him. They have not had a d-man like him for a while it sounded like. Talked about how he would be vital come playoff time.

Not only SHL but also KHL. It will be very interesting to follow the NT next season.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Yeah and besides the Danish group in Jokerit (in KHL), Stefan Lassen has also upgraded from Austria to play for Pelicans in the Finnish Liiga.

It has really been good all around. The only players "stepping down" are veterans like Green. And he might be done on the WC..well, at least in WC terms.

A little ot, but where does the austrian league rank? Wondering, since it maybe could be argued that Morten Poulsen steps down a level by going to austria from allsvenskan.

if it is, then he might be one of the few exemptions.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Just of my memory I think the Austrian league is quite money heavy. Not in a NLA or NLB way but there's quality there I think. Perhaps it's a side step from the Allsvenskan.

The thing about almost everybody playing at a higher level... It looks really nice on paper, but some of these guys are gonna have trouble adjusting to the better/different opponents. That could mean some of these guys are bound to have a tough/adjusting year.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Just of my memory I think the Austrian league is quite money heavy. Not in a NLA or NLB way but there's quality there I think. Perhaps it's a side step from the Allsvenskan.

The thing about almost everybody playing at a higher level... It looks really nice on paper, but some of these guys are gonna have trouble adjusting to the better/different opponents. That could mean some of these guys are bound to have a tough/adjusting year.

Im relieved...this optimistic feeling, felt so weird:P

Thanks for the clarification about austrian hockey. Poulsen comes to a coach that he knows, so thats positive!

Dahm is going to be busy! Graz were at the buttom of the league. pretty brave decision...But he seemed to enjoy being busy at the WC:P

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Both Matias Lassen and Markus Lauridsen scored in the Leksand-AIK match.

An excuse to write a post in the SHL thread:P

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Both Matias Lassen and Markus Lauridsen scored in the Leksand-AIK match.

An excuse to write a post in the SHL thread:P

Well it can be a combined Allsvenskan/SHL thread - I don't think anyone would mind.

Markus Lauridsen seems to have got a good start for AIK. Perhaps wise of him to go from AHL to an Allsvenskan club, instead of SHL. He will get playing time and adjust back to a big rink after some years in NA.

Otherwise in the SHL it has been a slow start for the Danish players.
Galbraith is "busy" in the Karlskrona goal (as expected), but put up decent numbers so far (for a bottom team).
Though not the level of last year, but then he also did start slowly.

No points from Jesper Jensen (that surprises me) and no games for Emil Kristensen.
Modest production from Hardt and Storm (both 1 goal) and Oliver Lauridsen is out injured.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Well it can be a combined Allsvenskan/SHL thread - I don't think anyone would mind.

Markus Lauridsen seems to have got a good start for AIK. Perhaps wise of him to go from AHL to an Allsvenskan club, instead of SHL. He will get playing time and adjust back to a big rink after some years in NA.

Otherwise in the SHL it has been a slow start for the Danish players.
Galbraith is "busy" in the Karlskrona goal (as expected), but put up decent numbers so far (for a bottom team).
Though not the level of last year, but then he also did start slowly.

No points from Jesper Jensen (that surprises me) and no games for Emil Kristensen.
Modest production from Hardt and Storm (both 1 goal) and Oliver Lauridsen is out injured.

Actually Lauridsen is back on the training grounds, so might not be too long before we see him on the ice.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
After a very slow start some of the Danish forwards have started to produce:

Nichlas Hardt (Linköping): 3G 9A (14M)
Frederik Storm (Malmö): 5G 1A (13M)
Jesper Jensen (Rögle): 0G 3A (13M) - what happened, last year he was outstanding in Allsvenskan.

In Allsvenskan who would have though Christoffer Kjærgaard would be the best Danish producer after moving up from Division 1 with Sundsvall: 4G 7A (17M).
(ok with Jesper Jensen, Frederik Storm and Morten Poulsen gone its not THAT surprising).

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Jesper Jensen (Rögle): 0G 3A (13M) - what happened, last year he was outstanding in Allsvenskan.

SHL happened :) the level of play is just so much higher in the best division. And lets not forget that he isnt the biggest center out there. I suspect he is getting pushed around a lot.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
SHL happened :) the level of play is just so much higher in the best division. And lets not forget that he isnt the biggest center out there. I suspect he is getting pushed around a lot.

I think you are especially right about the second part. I don't think its Jesper Jensen's puck skills that is not up to SHL standard, but likely that he loses in the physical game. He also have the worst +/- statistics on Rögle with -6 (that sounds like being physically challenged out there).
That probably also have affected his confidence.
He did get his first goal last night!

Galbraith is also having a very hard time in Karlskrona.
10 games with 87,5% and 3,87 GPG doesn't sound great, but Karlskrona is a team that is of Allsvenskan standards and are outmatched in all aspects of the game.
Their fans must just enjoy that they get this unique chance in SHL (because of the enlargement of teams-numbers for this season).
Galbraith is after all a good Allsvenskan caliber goalie, but so far outmatched in SHL as he was in Frölunda some years ago (but always room for growth and improvement).

Sebastian Dahm is on the contrary showing amazing numbers for the bottom team Graz in EBEL.
After a period being dead last, they have actually started winning a lot of games lately.

Dahm has let in 2,87 GPG and yet still have 92,6% saves.
It just shows how many shots he faces each night! :amazed:

Morten Poulsen also playing for Graz is doing well with 5G 5A in 16 games.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Sebastian Dahm is on the contrary showing amazing numbers for the bottom team Graz in EBEL.
After a period being dead last, they have actually started winning a lot of games lately.

Dahm has let in 2,87 GPG and yet still have 92,6% saves.
It just shows how many shots he faces each night! :amazed:

Morten Poulsen also playing for Graz is doing well with 5G 5A in 16 games.

The firing of Todd B. seems to have improved things for Graz. Not that I think the coach is to blame for Herning's relatively poor results this season, but I wonder if the team management is considering bringing Todd back. He has had some level of success with the team in the past. :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The firing of Todd B. seems to have improved things for Graz. Not that I think the coach is to blame for Herning's relatively poor results this season, but I wonder if the team management is considering bringing Todd back. He has had some level of success with the team in the past. :)

Todd B. got fired very early in the season - 5th of October. I think he was just unlucky with the team hitting a slump.
Dahm has been great all season, so Graz simply didn't score any goals (except Morten Poulsen that did net a few) until October began. Now beside Poulsen, they have more guys starting to score.
Graz simply has "Anaheim Syndrome" in September. Then the coach is blamed.
Strange as Todd B.'s additions to the team - Dahm and Poulsen - were the two best players on the team during this slump.

In SHL:
Karlskrona did claw themselves to a surprising 5-4 SO win. [but not with Galbraith in the net] and now have scraped 6 points together and still dead last. They can basically only take points from Djurgården :laugh:

Even Rögle got a win - turning 1-3 into a 6-3 victory in the 3rd period.
No points for Jesper Jensen though.

In Allsvenskan:
For Sundsvall - Christoffer Kjærgaard is having a great season so far.
He is 7G 7A in 19 matches and lead producer for his team (and far the best Danish producer).

Just also wanted to note that Swede Malte Strömwall (AIK) has incredible 17G (and 8A) in 17 matches.
Second best scorer in the league has 10G. Pretty amazing.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Todd B. got fired very early in the season - 5th of October. I think he was just unlucky with the team hitting a slump.
Dahm has been great all season, so Graz simply didn't score any goals (except Morten Poulsen that did net a few) until October began. Now beside Poulsen, they have more guys starting to score.
Graz simply has "Anaheim Syndrome" in September. Then the coach is blamed.
Strange as Todd B.'s additions to the team - Dahm and Poulsen - were the two best players on the team during this slump.

In SHL:
Karlskrona did claw themselves to a surprising 5-4 SO win. [but not with Galbraith in the net] and now have scraped 6 points together and still dead last. They can basically only take points from Djurgården :laugh:

Even Rögle got a win - turning 1-3 into a 6-3 victory in the 3rd period.
No points for Jesper Jensen though.

In Allsvenskan:
For Sundsvall - Christoffer Kjærgaard is having a great season so far.
He is 7G 7A in 19 matches and lead producer for his team (and far the best Danish producer).

Just also wanted to note that Swede Malte Strömwall (AIK) has incredible 17G (and 8A) in 17 matches.
Second best scorer in the league has 10G. Pretty amazing.

Thomas Liilie has been the backup goalie in several games of the season already for the champions Växjö Lakers. Lets hope he gets his debut later...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Thomas Liilie has been the backup goalie in several games of the season already for the champions Växjö Lakers. Lets hope he gets his debut later...

When (If) Växjö has qualified for the playoffs, then they might give him a few matches!

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
have only seen Lillie at the junior a challenge and in one game at the World Juniors but he looks one hell of a goalie.

Would be awesome if he got a chance at such a high level!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Who follows our boys in SHL???

Are the points indicative of their performance?

I haven't seen any of the matches, but I agree that their points are not spectacular.
Frederik Storm and Nichlas Hardt had recently a little production burst, but otherwise it has been modest!

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Who follows our boys in SHL???

Are the points indicative of their performance?

I am at most of Malmö's home games. Took some time for Storm to adjust to the SHL, but I think he's been pretty good the last month or so. The other Danes I only see when they come to Malmö, and I am not even sure I have seen any of them play... I think I may have seen Jesper Jensen play for Rögle, but he's so invisible these days I can't say for sure... :) I'm sure that neither Emil Kristensen or Mathias From played in that game. And Galbraith was the backup when Karlskrona came to town.

Frölunda is coming to Malmö on the 22nd, but Lauridsen is suspended for that game due to making too many new friends. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad