Dan Ryder question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
So I was talking to a buddy that use to play hockey with the Ryder brothers, and from what he says, Dan Ryder is suppose to be somewhat better than Michael Ryder.
I have to admit that I have not seen him play other than in the OHL vs. Russian Selects game where he looked pretty good.
So my question is if someone can tell me how he is?
Potentially a very good 2nd line Center?

Any constructive insight would be greatly appreciated

Torch

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
I heard some hockey commentator on TV say that just after the draft, but I personally have never seen the guy play.

TylerT

Mar 3, 2005
Vancouver
Supposed to be better thn michael was at 18, yes, although michael was a 9th ? round draft pick by montreal, and the only thing that got him to the nhl was his work ethic... and maybe his shot.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I could see somebody saying that Dan has "better pro potential" coming out of junior than Michael did. His skating is a bit better, plus it seems like he's heady enough that if he focuses on his 2-way play, he could be an effective "smart-but-not-tough" PK guy. He doesn't always show that in Peterborough, 'cuz he doesn't really need to I guess, but sometimes I get flashes that he might have an easier time adapting to a lesser role as a pro than his brother would have.

But by the same token, Michael has figured out how to use his offense and shot at the NHL level, as a 2nd or even almost 1st line winger. I don't find that Dan has the same moves or shot, so while he might make the NHL one day, it might be harder for him to reach the same upper-line upside that Michael has. Possible, but you couldn't really bet on it, because the percentage of guys coming from where he was drafted to have that kind of impact is relatively low.

So probably the comment indicated that Dan was better than Michael at 18, but clearly Michael really maxed out his potential and made it big time later on, whereas it remains to be seen if Dan can live up to that kind of continuing development curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad