Rumor: Dan Boyle

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dan Boyle is one of the best right-handed defencemen in the league. At level of Rafalski. He is a good skater, and those occasions age really doesn't matter that much.

I'd take him in a heartbeat to bolster our power-play and puck-carrying.

White + Colaiacovo -package could go to another way. :)

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I'd rather have Havlat than Boyle, who is also rumored to be available.

Unfortunately, Smid is HIGHLY coveted by more than a few teams, and if the Oilers want to keep him around for the future, it's likely they'll pay him waaaaay more than he's actually worth; it's also likely that someone else will overpay for his services should he be traded/reach UFA.

Oh, believe me- I'm aware that the chances were VERY slim that we traded for Smid. Just saying that given the roster we have now, he's the type of guy Kenny should go for even if he costs more than a guy like Boyle.

Boyle is not the missing piece to the Wings championship puzzle, and he's old. Look elsewhere, Kenny.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Dan Boyle is one of the best right-handed defencemen in the league. At level of Rafalski. He is a good skater, and those occasions age really doesn't matter that much.

Works for me, can we give Ken Holland a call.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

I know you're kidding but that package wouldn't even get Dan Boyle's stick.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Oh, believe me- I'm aware that the chances were VERY slim that we traded for Smid. Just saying that given the roster we have now, he's the type of guy Kenny should go for even if he costs more than a guy like Boyle.

Agreed completely, but what would it take *IF* he doesn't re-sign with Edmonton (and I don't know what those chances are)? Would you pay him his reported desired $5m if he hits FA? More?

Boyle is not even the missing piece to a Wings player's kid's 50-piece puzzle, and he's old. Look elsewhere, Kenny.

Fixed, and agreed again. See above. ;)

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Agreed completely, but what would it take *IF* he doesn't re-sign with Edmonton (and I don't know what those chances are)? Would you pay him his reported desired $5m if he hits FA? More?

Fixed, and agreed again. See above. ;)

I think I'd go $5M for him. You know what would be ideal- Smith makes a quantum leap in his development down the stretch to the point where Kenny and Babs could pencil him in as a top 4 offensive d-man. His next contract still won't be much because he hasn't shown much, but the Wings top 4 for next year could look like:

Kronwall- $4.75M
Ericsson- $3.25M
Smid- $5M or so
Smith- $1.8M - $2M

That's not too bad IMO (assuming Smith improves). E would be up for a new deal and raise after next year, but it's a nice top 4 as we look to work in Sproul and Ouellet in a few years.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I think I'd go $5M for him. You know what would be ideal- Smith makes a quantum leap in his development down the stretch to the point where Kenny and Babs could pencil him in as a top 4 offensive d-man. His next contract still won't be much because he hasn't shown much, but the Wings top 4 for next year could look like:

Kronwall- $4.75M
Ericsson- $3.25M
Smid- $5M or so
Smith- $1.8M - $2M

That's not too bad IMO (assuming Smith improves). E would be up for a new deal and raise after next year, but it's a nice top 4 as we look to work in Sproul and Ouellet in a few years.

Are you ****ing insane? $5M for Smid is flat out ridiculous and a typical overblown value judgment of the "flavor of the week." You don't pay $5M for a defenseman who can only be expected to contribute 10 points a season, no matter how good his defense is or how physical he is.

The crazy thing is, Petry is the guy on the Oilers back-end who is facing the tougher competition, has the better team save percentage per 60 minutes TOI, has the better GA per 60 minutes TOI, plays more on the PK, plays almost 2 minutes more per night, has more points, and takes fewer penalties in the process.

This is Mike Komisarek all over again. A guy plays solid defense to go with his hitting and shot-blocking and he's suddenly worth $5M. Not only is that a ludicrous contract, but guys that get paid based on their physical defensive game never stay at this level for long. The work is too hard and too taxing to maintain.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I didn't think it was that bad of an idea at first, then I looked at wikipedia and saw he was 36. **** that lol.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Are you ****ing insane? $5M for Smid is flat out ridiculous and a typical overblown value judgment of the "flavor of the week." You don't pay $5M for a defenseman who can only be expected to contribute 10 points a season, no matter how good his defense is or how physical he is.

The crazy thing is, Petry is the guy on the Oilers back-end who is facing the tougher competition, has the better team save percentage per 60 minutes TOI, has the better GA per 60 minutes TOI, plays more on the PK, plays almost 2 minutes more per night, has more points, and takes fewer penalties in the process.

This is Mike Komisarek all over again. A guy plays solid defense to go with his hitting and shot-blocking and he's suddenly worth $5M. Not only is that a ludicrous contract, but guys that get paid based on their physical defensive game never stay at this level for long. The work is too hard and too taxing to maintain.

:laugh: You know, one of these days I hope you grow a pair and start writing what you actually mean, instead of beating around the damn bush all the time!

Maybe $5M is a little steep for Smid, but if we landed him via trade or UFA, he'd be our best defensive guy on the blueline. Ericsson can only babysit one of our offensive d-men, not all of them (and while E's been our best defensive d-man this year, I think he's a step below Smid).

I'd rather Kenny figure out a way to land a legit #1 defenseman, but that's a tall order to pull off. So if he's going down the "by committee" approach for years to come, I think we should strengthen the committee some (definitely think the D-unit has overachieved this season). I think Smid could be a less expensive Ryan Suter-type to play opposite an offensive #1 D-man.

Don't necessarily agree that all physical players completely tone it down over the years. They may get more selective about laying the wood on somebody, but guys like Pronger, Stuart, etc have made opponents keep their head on a swivel well into their 30's.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
If you all hadn't noticed, the Oilers are currently two points out of 8th place. If they are out of the hunt by the deadline, they will still demand a king's ransom for this Smid. Very few teams will be selling, and he's their best defenseman.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
If you all hadn't noticed, the Oilers are currently two points out of 8th place. If they are out of the hunt by the deadline, they will still demand a king's ransom for this Smid. Very few teams will be selling, and he's their best defenseman.

Oh noes, we hadn't noticed! Lawdy lawd, whatever shall we do without you?!

Thank yous, thank yous for showing us little lost sheep the way!

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
Let's stay far, far away from Boyle. I would love Smid for the right price, but aren't we going to be right up against the cap if Howie gets his $5 million AAV deal and Fil gets somewhere around $4.75 million AAV?

Holland better buy out Sammy and CC.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So should we persue him if rumours are true? What would it take?

Kindl, high prospect and 1st?

He's exactly what we need. We're good defensively but do not have a good offensive dman. I have no idea what it would take to get him but he'd clearly address our biggest need. I'd take him over Kronner in a heart beat.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Seeing as the NHL let's everyone into the playoffs and nearly everyone is still in it, trade rates will be even more ridiculous than usual.

I'm balking at any trade that requires a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad