Daly: Union Stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
........... Impass to be declared if no progress soon.

Daly: Union is stalling

Salvo fired on eve of CBA talks
By BRUCE GARRIOCH -- Ottawa Sun

NHL's executive VP Bill Daly says the Players' Association appear to be stalling on a labour deal on the eve of another meeting between the league and union. (CP File Photo/Frank Gunn)
NHL VP Bill Daly accused the NHLPA last night of being in "stall mode" and issued a warning to the union that it should get working on a new CBA or the deal will only get worse for players.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/04/19/1003702.html

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
"I don't really know what to expect," Daly told the Sun in an e-mail. "But it would certainly appear (Goodenow) is back in stall mode. We'll see. The players have to understand no matter how much pressure he thinks the clubs are under, the deal only gets worse for the players. Everybody else sees that. I don't know why he doesn't seem to."

"If anything is stalling these negotiations it is the NHL's one-track approach," NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement. "In our upcoming meetings we shall see whether Bettman is prepared to negotiate something other than the one position he has been advocating for the last three years ... which led us to the lockout and cancellation of one full season already."

Great, just what we need....more "he said, she said" from these idiots. :shakehead

Just get it done, morons.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
....... and another article, same source (SLAM), that also talks about moving forward sooner rather than later with replacements as a 'last resort':

Getting the job done
Oilers prepared to 'move forward' on replacement players
By ROBIN BROWNLEE -- Edmonton Sun

Yes, NHL teams are looking at the option of using replacement players for the start of the 2005-06 NHL season, if a collective bargaining agreement with the NHLPA can't be negotiated.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2005/04/19/1003679.html

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
This is no surprise to me. I said as much yesterday in another thread. The NHL is AGAIN calling the PA's bluff. Good on 'em.

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Beauty said:
"I don't really know what to expect," Daly told the Sun in an e-mail. "But it would certainly appear (Goodenow) is back in stall mode. We'll see. The players have to understand no matter how much pressure he thinks the clubs are under, the deal only gets worse for the players. Everybody else sees that. I don't know why he doesn't seem to."

"If anything is stalling these negotiations it is the NHL's one-track approach," NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said in a statement. "In our upcoming meetings we shall see whether Bettman is prepared to negotiate something other than the one position he has been advocating for the last three years ... which led us to the lockout and cancellation of one full season already."

Great, just what we need....more "he said, she said" from these idiots. :shakehead

Just get it done, morons.

I agree. God, it's getting sickening........ :rolleyes:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think its beyond sickening when a diehard fan like myself is disgusted with this entire process .

what happens to all the new fans or fair weather fans that pack the nose bleed seats for ya ?

good luck getting them back

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Isles72 said:
I think its beyond sickening when a diehard fan like myself is disgusted with this entire process .

what happens to all the new fans or fair weather fans that pack the nose bleed seats for ya ?

good luck getting them back

Oh, I totally agree! It's definitely beyond sickening. It's gone on waaaay too long, this stupid lockout......... :madfire:

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
Why they don't make a clause like this in the CBA : "if the negociation of the next CBA is not gone by october 10th the season is gone of that year is gone". If they respect the fan (i don't think so) it's an obligation to have somethink like that in the new CBA.

X0ssbar

Comrie_fan said:
Why they don't make a clause like this in the CBA : "if the negociation of the next CBA is not gone by october 10th the season is gone of that year is gone". If they respect the fan (i don't think so) it's an obligation to have somethink like that in the new CBA.

Actually the MLS just ratified their first CBA and they have seen this light. A clause in their CBA was to have a 3rd party arbitrator (mutally agreed to by both parties) brought in to rule on disputes.

I know the MLS is only 10 years old but at least they have a little foward thinking in their camps.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
I if understand correctly, the union wants a 50mil cap next year and if the revenues are down then and only then the cap goes down.

They want the owners to lose more money and then prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how much they lost before they agree to lower the cap. Of course any disagreement would lead to WHAT!!

How about this as a responce.
We want the players to player next year for a 25mil cap.
If a player scores 10% more goals he gets a 10% raise of he scores 10% less he gets a 10% pay cut. Any player has within his own hands his pay. It's all up to each player to make as much money as he can. Their is NO LIMIT on players at all. If you can score 500 goals in one year then you make 10 million. Defencemen of course dont have the chance to score 500 goals so Its up to any player to pay any defencemen as a sub contractor in order to improve his chances at 500 goals. Same for goalies. As for the fighters, If you win you get paid if you lose you don't.

This is just as stupid as ( go ahead and lose more money, then prove to the NHLPA you did) then and only then shall we decide what the new cap shall be.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
um, dose daley have any "proof" the union is stalling or is he just running his mouth? wtf

he doesn't seem to base these allegations on anything...he just pulls them out of the air in a stupid attempt to put the pressure on the PA right before a meeting. I'm sorry, it's just stupid. more of the same stupid crap we've seen from both sides throughout this whole thing.

This makes me less optimistic than ever because it just means the NHL isn't done trying to "negotiate" through the media. **** and actually negotiate

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Daly's just telling the truth, and calling the union out on the facts. The fact is that the union has yet to make a formal offer since December 9. Further, they have been reluctant to get back to the NHL in a meaningful way regarding the "concepts" they claimed they were willing to explore two weeks ago. They are playing for time in the hopes that the NHL gets nervous and improves its offer, but that clearly ain't happening.

It's unbelievable -- Goodenow keeps searching for some kind of leverage somewhere, and is determined to keep searching even though it is clear to everyone else that he doesn't have any. The smart move here would be to just get in there and cut the best deal you can for your membership and let your members get on with earning a living again, but "smart" and "NHLPA" don't seem to go in the same sentence. They are determined to drive themselves off a cliff, for reasons best known to themselves...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hate to say this, but the result of today's meeting is almost certainly a foregone conclusion, and Daly knows it. The union has no interest in making a deal within the parameters set out by the League, so they are simply posturing to try to make it difficult for the League to declare impasse. It would be nice if the 'PA truly wanted a deal, but Daly is not a fool, and he knows that isn't the case.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Larionov said:
Daly's just telling the truth, and calling the union out on the facts. The fact is that the union has yet to make a formal offer since December 9. Further, they have been reluctant to get back to the NHL in a meaningful way regarding the "concepts" they claimed they were willing to explore two weeks ago. They are playing for time in the hopes that the NHL gets nervous and improves its offer, but that clearly ain't happening.

It's unbelievable -- Goodenow keeps searching for some kind of leverage somewhere, and is determined to keep searching even though it is clear to everyone else that he doesn't have any. The smart move here would be to just get in there and cut the best deal you can for your membership and let your members get on with earning a living again, but "smart" and "NHLPA" don't seem to go in the same sentence. They are determined to drive themselves off a cliff, for reasons best known to themselves...

I completely agree, I just wish they would stop the mudslinging in the press and deal with the situation like adults.

Great post, BTW.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
This is the second time the NHL has seen fit to call out the players on the eve of negotiations and play the media game. I don't know how any reasonable person can think this is a good way to bargain, true or not. I don't care how frustrated you are, threatening the group that you are going to the table with the next day is just stupid.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
bs

shakes said:
This is the second time the NHL has seen fit to call out the players on the eve of negotiations and play the media game. I don't know how any reasonable person can think this is a good way to bargain, true or not. I don't care how frustrated you are, threatening the group that you are going to the table with the next day is just stupid.

You'd rather he put a happy face on things he sees?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
....... and another article, same source (SLAM), that also talks about moving forward sooner rather than later with replacements as a 'last resort':

Getting the job done
Oilers prepared to 'move forward' on replacement players
By ROBIN BROWNLEE -- Edmonton Sun

Yes, NHL teams are looking at the option of using replacement players for the start of the 2005-06 NHL season, if a collective bargaining agreement with the NHLPA can't be negotiated.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2005/04/19/1003679.html

From this article...

"What we'll likely do is invoice out at full NHL prices in the event we could settle and play as normal.

"Then, do a crediting back, maybe somewhere around AHL prices, so the cost of the product is correlating with the price we're charging.

Well at least this owner realizes that it might be AHL calibre hockey, though, how he thinks playing AHL calibre hockey and calling it the NHL is in the best interest of the league. Geez.. I wonder what the farm teams are going to look like and what would they charge for the decrease in that quality of hockey.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

what a completely empty comment...

he didn't have to do anything, he didn't have to put any face on it. no one was looking to him to say something about this, no one asked his opinion...he got up and attacked the union in the media right before negotiations were to take place.

if he wants to make an issue of it, he should do it afterwards, not beforehand when it could singlehandedly derail anything useful that might have come from the meeting.

X0ssbar

Larionov said:
Hate to say this, but the result of today's meeting is almost certainly a foregone conclusion, and Daly knows it. The union has no interest in making a deal within the parameters set out by the League, so they are simply posturing to try to make it difficult for the League to declare impasse. It would be nice if the 'PA truly wanted a deal, but Daly is not a fool, and he knows that isn't the case.

Yep - completely agree. Daly (and just about everyone else) saw the writing on wall as soon as the PA decided against negotiating last week because of "scheduling conflicts".

...at least they could have used the "Mike Modano's dog died excuse" and remembered to fold the note..

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
AM said:

I'd rather he shut the hell up, stop threatening his bargaining partner through the media and start negotiating . Do you think he HAS to comment to the media? It's not happy time counselling here where he should let his feelings out and tell people how he really feels.. the stakes he's bargaining for are in the billions.

mackdogs*

shakes said:
Well at least this owner realizes that it might be AHL calibre hockey, though, how he thinks playing AHL calibre hockey and calling it the NHL is in the best interest of the league. Geez.. I wonder what the farm teams are going to look like and what would they charge for the decrease in that quality of hockey.
Actually the owner realizes the hockey might bring in AHL revenues. Never does he mention anything about the caliber of hockey. He's talking about how they will prepare for next year from an Accounting perspective. Try reading it again maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad