Daly in Globe and Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

southwing

Mar 5, 2003
Moose's Armpit, Sk
Visit site
The very last line in the morning Globe and Mail article is a statement by Daly that if the season is going to end that there will be a formal announcement by the league. There has been a lot of speculation that no announcement would be made so that Bettman would have a bargaining tool to use in impasse hearings. What can this mean?

Perhaps this. The season is not going to be cancelled.

And the pessimism among the player "leaks" (Yzerman, Sakic, etc). It seems that this is more about 'positioning' the players for the PR work needed to recover from being seen as the bad guys in this dispute ... as in, "We fought the hard cap but the game is more important than us. So we're saving the game by giving in." (Or words to that affect!) "Aren't we nice guys after all." What can the pessimism mean?

Perhaps this. There is still going to be a season (of sorts.)

southwing

southwing

Mar 5, 2003
Moose's Armpit, Sk
Visit site
What do such signings mean?

Perhaps not a whole lot. No doubt the players would have an NHL escape clause and they are using this to get in game shape. The minor league team would be using it for profile. Just not convinced that the USHL is going to be a viable substitute for the balance of the year.

southwing

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
pkwjr said:
I don't know if this would be considered positioning or not, but Draper, Maltby, Hatcher and Chelios are signing with the Motor City Mechanics tomorrow.

Isn't it neat how over the last week, the bulk of the news has been coming out of Detroit?? The owners gabbed, Holland babbled, Yzerman spoke twice once good once bad, Chelios babbled in between Yzerman statements and now 4 of their guys are signing with a local team on the eve of what may be the final offer.... it would have been a more convincing staement that the players have lost hope if they signed say in Korea???

Are any of the guys who signed in Europe in the last week or so actually playing there now or did the press releases just eminate form there?? :dunno:

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
My point of view on the "drop dead date" has been this:

Goodenow is known to be quite an adept "11th-hour bargainer". In fact, the last lockout, he used the announced drop-dead date as his measuring stick of when to intensify negotiations and to time the concessions.

Knowing this, I believe that the NHL has refrained from announcing a drop-dead date in order to keep Goodenow and the NHLPA in the dark and to put more pressure on them to cave, due to the uncertainty on the existence of a season this year. Just my thoughts.

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
Well, scratch Maltby from the list, he denies talking to the Mechanics. He said he is not aware of Draper signing either but can't verify that. The Mechanics even put out a press release stating they are signing four Wings tomorrow along with a new coach.

puck_it

Jan 4, 2005
i thought chelios was going to eventually try to sign with a chicago team

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
speaking of players thinking about signing with UHL teams, there are rumors in the NE that Roenick is talking about signing with the Adirondack Frostbite, and Amonte the Danbury Trashers. I read both these rumors on the Frostbite message board.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
HABSoluteDMB11 said:
speaking of players thinking about signing with UHL teams, there are rumors in the NE that Roenick is talking about signing with the Adirondack Frostbite, and Amonte the Danbury Trashers. I read both these rumors on the Frostbite message board.

Roenicks head is as soft as mellon that got left a week too long in the sun. Why wouldn't he play it safe and sit it out for a while. I suppose the answer lies in the 1st sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->