Amman, Jordan
How about this franchise-altering move?

To MTL
Ja. Benn
B. Bishop

To DAL
C. Price
A. Galchenyuk

Then sprinkle-in some picks/prospects to even it out. Boom! Eveyone hates it.

Reactions: OldManGroin

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Dallas Receives: Jeff Petry, Max Pacioretty (50% retained), Montreal 2018 2nd, Montreal 2019 2nd, Karl Alzner (15% retained) and Charlie Lindgren

Montreal Receives: Miro Heiskanen, cap dump(s) of Dallas's choice.

Following this trade, the Stars would find a way to move Spezza's contract, sign Kovalchuk and bring Nuke over from the Motherland. With remaining cap, they would need a solid 2LD (Calvin De Haan?) and would shore up a cup contending roster if they could keep healthy

Benn/Seguin/Radulov
Patches/Hanzal/Janmark
Kovalchuk/Faksa/Nuke
Roussel/Dickinson/Gurianov

Methot/Klingberg
CDH/Petry
Alzner/Honka

Bishop
Lindgren

Dallas gives up their best prospect, but add two picks, a young backup goaltender on a super team friendly contract, and give themselves an elite winger as well as a solid PMD to help round out their offensive depth. The Stars become a cup contender with these moves, and a lot of the heavy lifting gets taken off of that top line with the additions of Kovalchuk, Patches, and Nuke.

Montreal gets a young LD with top pairing potential, and with the moving of Petry they are more inclined to draft an RD at 6-8.
All those assets for Miro Heiskanen, cap dump(s) Hell no from the Habs. Talk about overpayment. Brutal for the Habs.

terry01

Mar 15, 2018
typical montreal.http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/33/o.png

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Stopped reading once I saw Heiskanen's name. His ELC years are going to be way way way too important with Seguin's new contract to give up. He is already one of if not the best D man in the Liiga and looks 100% ready to step into the NHL next year. MTL doesnt have a roster player or prospect that is good enough/young enough to be the main piece in a deal for him.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
But that proposal isn't spare pieces.

We're talking a 35 G scorer which would add depth scoring to Dallas (which is known to be a 1 line punch team right now).
Also adding a big-bodied puck moving #3D.

Those two pieces alone combined would fetch a top prospect, a middling 1st, and a 2nd at a minimum out of most teams.

We're in a league where goals are hard to come by and solid top 4 Ds are highly valued.

Then you're adding Lindgren whose been looking great at the NHL level and who could realistically take over Bishop in 2 years time.
(Albeit Alzner's addition cancels out that added value)

Sorry but as much as people want to dish on the Habs, a hockey trade like this doesn't happen unless there is more than just Heiskanen.

You may not like it, but GMs value established players a whole lot more than prospects, regardless of how good they look.

A more realistic offer (albeit GMs rarely get into transactions that large) would be:

Dallas:
Pacioretty (50% retained)
Jeff Petry
Charlie Lindgren
Chicago's 2018 2nd rd pick

Mtl:
Heiskanen
Jason Robertson
Dallas 2018 1st rd pick
Dallas 2018 2nd rd pick
Jason Spezza (Cap dump)

Holy shit this is bad. I thought OP was horrible but then you managed to take it to the next level.

Reactions: Kcb12345

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I won't pretend to fully understand your depth chart -- originally I offered Byron but it seems as if your team is deep enough after bringing in the three forwards in my proposal that you don't need a player like Byron. What your 2RW and 4th line looks like is truly beyond me, but I doubt any player in your depth chart is better than the top 9 (barring your 2RW) I proposed above. You add a perennial 35 goal scoring winger, as well as an elite 2nd pairing PMD at the very least. Flip Alzner to a team like Arizona or VGK if you really don't need him, but ultimately the point would be to give you guys a depth, playoff experienced defenseman who can play tough minute and kill penalties at the very least. He is a comparable to Dan Hamhuis, and some would argue better (not sure if I agree with that sentiment or not this year). The Habs are taking a notable risk in trading so many pieces including our best defenseman not named Shea Weber, but I think there is value on both sides.

LOL there is not fully knowing a depth chart and forgetting a 12th forward/6th D then there is straight up having zero knowledge and forgetting a teams #2 D who is by just about every measure an actual #2D regardless of team.

Also if you just compared Alzner to Hamhuis I think you have lost your mind.

You are either Bermister's Canadian cousin or we just got the pleasure of meeting someone who thinks and posts in a similar way

Reactions: Satan and Kcb12345

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
You do realize that Heiskanen is the best defensive prospect that this organization has ever drafted right? There is a less than zero chance he will be moved unless it is an over-payment of epic proportions and then it is still not likely!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Dallas wouldn't give up heiskanen for spare pieces
If you are going to make stupid comments, just don't post.

While that is a great d prospect, he is still a prospect that has never played in NA. Habs would be giving up their most consistent dman this season along with their captain and two second round picks. That's a steep price to pay especially in this dream world that 50% would be retained on Max and 15% on Alzner.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Posts like this completely ruin my faith in using these forums --- Why would any team in their right mind trade a young, cost controlled, proven asset for a player that is projected to be 'as good' as what they already have? No team would ever in their right mind do that, because you could end up with a Sam Reinhart or Noah Hanifin instead of Jacob Trouba or John Klingberg (Not to say the former are slouches, but the latter are infinitely better players). When a team moves a prospect, the entire purpose is to 'win now' and moving Heiskanen would never fetch you a player under 24 years old that is already a top line player --- you get an equally unproven prospect in a different role, or you get older cup contributing players and enter a 'win now' mode

That's kind of the point I'm making, though. Any team wanting Heiskanen is going to have to severely overpay to that degree because he is Dallas' golden goose right now. They believe, and I think much of the hockey world believes, that he will be an elite piece very soon.

I really don't see Jim Nill sacrificing him for anything short term, win now or not. The Stars have other pieces they can use to get the pieces they need.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
As mentioned before, Pacioretty: 1st and a great prospect/middle 6 roster player and/or a 2nd rd pick and/or some combination depending on the prospect's value.

You have the right to think this is Patches value, but given there was no trade at the last deadline for him, I doubt any team is willing to pay that price.

Lets be honest, Patches, if traded, would be to a playoff team/strong contender. If teams were not willing to pay the price you name for TWO playoff runs of Patches...I doubt they will be paying more for one run of playoffs.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Heiskanen ain't going anywhere. I believe he's untouchable, and the negative potential of a prospect will always cause any offers to be negative value. And anyone wanting to trade Benn needs to get a grip. He's not the problem on Dallas.

Reactions: Kcb12345

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
You have the right to think this is Patches value, but given there was no trade at the last deadline for him, I doubt any team is willing to pay that price.

Lets be honest, Patches, if traded, would be to a playoff team/strong contender. If teams were not willing to pay the price you name for TWO playoff runs of Patches...I doubt they will be paying more for one run of playoffs.

I do recall hearing something about multiple GMs asking for Karlsson-type contract players to wait until the draft so more teams could come up with an offer.
Teams are most likely waiting to see their draft position and who's going to be available at that point roughly before deciding whether to move for a player or not. Plus at the draft, those players can be "resigned under the table" per say. So it's an acquisition for 5+ years rather than just 2 off seasons.

I don't believe Pacioretty would on his own drag a Heiskanen level prospect simply because he'd most likely be untouchable. The only way I'd see it happen is if Dallas wants to trade up (say MTL ends in the 5-7 range and Dallas really likes a certain player available) at the draft and is willing to include Heiskanen as the returning piece for Pacioretty and probably a later pick going back to MTL as well.

Other than that, Dallas should stay put and develop this kid because he's looking good so far.

There's no doubt in my mind that MTL will be moving Pacioretty, Schlemko, and at least another middle 6 winger in the offseason. Just gotta figure out what the return will be.

account deactivated

Feb 28, 2008
ATX
And anyone wanting to trade Benn needs to get a grip. He's not the problem on Dallas.

He is a big problem on Dallas considering his play has been subpar for 2 seasons now. His point totals remain what they are because of other players doing the work around him and he's only had a few games where he has looked dominant. He definitely needs to get it back together since he's making 9+ million per season now.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He is a big problem on Dallas considering his play has been subpar for 2 seasons now. His point totals remain what they are because of other players doing the work around him and he's only had a few games where he has looked dominant. He definitely needs to get it back together since he's making 9+ million per season now.

He is far from our main problem though. We have other needs to address before anyone starts pointing fingers at Benn just searching for excuses and things to complain about. Our biggest issue is we literally have no 2nd line and no 2nd line players. None. That clearly frustrates the top guys quite a bit since they're relied on for everything. Anyone pointing fingers at the top guys right now needs to rethink what they're doing considering half the forwards are doing absolutely nothing to benefit this team.

Reactions: badboy1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->