Dallas Stars announce huge ticket price reductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Holy crap. These are some big-time reductions!

http://www.dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=2899

Every Seat at American Airlines Center has Been Reduced in Price; Average Reduction is 16%
FRISCO, Tex. -- The Dallas Stars today announced the hockey club's season ticket prices for the 2005-06 season. The Stars have reduced prices on every season seat by an average of 16.0% per seat, the lowest prices for the club since it moved into American Airlines Center.

Part of the overall reduction in prices includes making over 500 tickets available for only $10, both on a season ticket level and individual game price. In addition, fans will be able to purchase season tickets in the lower bowl of American Airlines Center for as little as $50 per game.
Including the new $10 seats, Stars fans will have over 6,400 season seats available for $31 or less, which makes up 43.2% of the season ticket seat inventory. In addition, over 2,880 season seats will be available for $18 or less (19.4% of seats available).
*Praying that the Avs see fit to show the fans a nice gesture with SOME kind of reduction.*

Last edited:

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Yea, I read it today in the Dallas Morning News. 10 dollars for Upper Bowl and 50 dollars for Lower Bowl is pretty nice and is comparable to the prices they had during their cup run. Dallas already has a pretty good audience and fan base and it should expand with these great changes. Props to Jim Littes for making this happen.

Munchausen

That's a good start. I hope more of that follows around the league, especially in the big market cities.

Now if they could just cut the price of beer at the Bell Center I'd be a happy camper. :D

mackdogs*

But all the pro-PA lackeys have been saying since the lockout started that the owners would never reduce ticket prices! Their sole reason for this lockout was so they could line their pockets! I refuse to believe this article! :biglaugh:

Oh well, I guess this could give some PA members a reason to vote no. Lower ticket prices means less in their pockets since they'll be making 54% of hockey revenues. I guess we've come full circle since players should now want ticket prices to be as high as possible.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
*Praying that the Avs see fit to show the fans a nice gesture with SOME kind of reduction.*
I'm sure with their payroll cut in half it won't be very hard for them to reduce prices.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
mackdogs said:
But all the pro-PA lackeys have been saying since the lockout started that the owners would never reduce ticket prices! Their sole reason for this lockout was so they could line their pockets! I refuse to believe this article! :biglaugh:

Oh well, I guess this could give some PA members a reason to vote no. Lower ticket prices means less in their pockets since they'll be making 54% of hockey revenues. I guess we've come full circle since players should now want ticket prices to be as high as possible.

Anyone who thinks that ticket prices have anything to do with payroll (or vice versa) is Pejorative Slured.

They aren't reducing ticket prices because salaries are lower; they're reducing ticket prices to stimulate demand so that half the arena isn't empty.

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
Holy Sh*t!!!!!!! They pay $10 for upper bowl and $50 for lower bowl in Dallas? Okay, ColoradoHockeyFan, you were right. We pay insane prices for our tickets. At the P-Center, you're looking at $80 to $100+ in the lower bowl.

mackdogs*

Jobu said:
Anyone who thinks that ticket prices have anything to do with payroll (or vice versa) is Pejorative Slured.
Ticket prices now directly influence a player's salary as they will be making 54% of said ticket's price. But to what you said, what's your point? People whose parents are related are also, generally, Pejorative Slured. Why don't you point that out also.
Jobu said:
They aren't reducing ticket prices because salaries are lower; they're reducing ticket prices to stimulate demand so that half the arena isn't empty.
Wow, thanks Einstein. People who point out the blatantly obvious to seem superior to other people are Pejorative Slured.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Holy crap. These are some big-time reductions!

http://www.dallasstars.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=2899

Keep in mind that many of the teams offering larger discounts also OWN their arena. That makes a huge difference, b/c those teams just need to get fans in the building, then they will spend on concessions, merch, etc.

For other teams that don't own their building, relying on gate receipts is critical because of unfavorable concession deals.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
blitzkriegs said:
Keep in mind that many of the teams offering larger discounts also OWN their arena. That makes a huge difference, b/c those teams just need to get fans in the building, then they will spend on concessions, merch, etc.

For other teams that don't own their building, relying on gate receipts is critical because of unfavorable concession deals.
Our owner owns the arena as well.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
HeidiHalter said:
Holy Sh*t!!!!!!! They pay $10 for upper bowl and $50 for lower bowl in Dallas? Okay, ColoradoHockeyFan, you were right. We pay insane prices for our tickets. At the P-Center, you're looking at $80 to $100+ in the lower bowl.
Actually, at Pepsi Center, you're not even getting into the lower bowl for $80, not even at season ticket rates. Lower bowl prices are $99-$224 (single-game rate) or $90-$204 (season ticket rate).

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
mackdogs said:
Ticket prices now directly influence a player's salary as they will be making 54% of said ticket's price. But to what you said, what's your point? People whose parents are related are also, generally, Pejorative Slured. Why don't you point that out also.

Wow, thanks Einstein. People who point out the blatantly obvious to seem superior to other people are Pejorative Slured.

I should have also added, anyone who thinks that this lockout WASN'T about putting more money into owners' pockers is Pejorative Slured. In other words, you are doubly so.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Jobu said:

I would like to see the attendance of Dallas of the previous years, were they desperatly in need of fans so that they would have to reduce that much tickets' price. And honestly, if they haven't in the last 4-5 years, don't you think that since the payroll will be lowered with the new CBA, they now can afford to reduce the price of their tickets. (Which they couldn't before, only the richest could afford to go to the game, even if that would mean less fans but more money) The fact that their expenses are now significantly less, they can have more fans who pay less and possibly make even more money than before)

Like I said, they do are trying to stimulate demand, since they have less expenses (salaries) they can afford to do so without losing money. So one is linked to the other. CBA made it possible. Btw, most teams are reducing their tickets prices if I remember correctly. I wonder if even teams such as Montreal/Toronto/Detroit who have no problems filling their arenas would reduce their price (even if they don't need to [...stimulate demand]).

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
HF-Addict said:
I would like to see the attendance of Dallas of the previous years, were they desperatly in need of fans so that they would have to reduce that much tickets' price. And honestly, if they haven't in the last 4-5 years, don't you think that since the payroll will be lowered with the new CBA, they now can afford to reduce the price of their tickets. (Which they couldn't before, only the richest could afford to go to the game, even if that would mean less fans but more money) The fact that their expenses are now significantly less, they can have more fans who pay less and possibly make even more money than before)

If you think owners will lower ticket prices below what they could otherwise sell out at, you are extremely naive. This is all about money... owners couldn't care less what fans pay unless (a) they are not selling out or (b) they see it necessary as some short-term goodwill gesture to win back fans. Dallas may have had good attendance in the last few years, but if ownership expected sell-outs every night at current prices, they would keep them the same. Do you really think the Leafs will lower ticket prices so that poor Joe Blow who only makes $50k per year can afford to go? Hell no.

Like I said, they do are trying to stimulate demand, since they have less expenses (salaries) they can afford to do so without losing money. So one is linked to the other. CBA made it possible. Btw, most teams are reducing their tickets prices if I remember correctly. I wonder if even teams such as Montreal/Toronto/Detroit who have no problems filling their arenas would reduce their price (even if they don't need to [...stimulate demand]).

Huh? CBA has nothing to do with ticket prices. Teams will charge for tickets at the level that maximizes their profits. Supply and demand is a simple concept...

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm not sure what the arena seats, but you're suggesting that 80% capacity is good?

hahaha

With apparently 4000-5000 seats to fill PRE-LOCKOUT (i.e., likely a lot more now), no wonder they are reducing ticket prices.

Sad that some simple-minded people fall for this as a goodwill gesture to fans or some sort of thank you for sticking it out.

When Toronto lowers ticket prices, come and talk to me about a relationship between lower salaries and ticket prices.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Jobu said:
If you think owners will lower ticket prices below what they could otherwise sell out at, you are extremely naive. This is all about money... owners couldn't care less what fans pay unless (a) they are not selling out or (b) they see it necessary as some short-term goodwill gesture to win back fans. Dallas may have had good attendance in the last few years, but if ownership expected sell-outs every night at current prices, they would keep them the same. Do you really think the Leafs will lower ticket prices so that poor Joe Blow who only makes $50k per year can afford to go? Hell no.

Huh? CBA has nothing to do with ticket prices. Teams will charge for tickets at the level that maximizes their profits. Supply and demand is a simple concept...

Yes they are trying to maximize their profits. Now that salaries are lowered they can maximize it by filling their arenas by lowering the tickets price (which in the end, they make more money). That's my point. As for Leafs/Montreal etc, like I previously said, I will wait until they say if they are gonna do anything about tickets price or no. We will see.

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Jobu said:
I'm not sure what the arena seats, but you're suggesting that 80% capacity is good?

hahaha

Jobu said:
Dallas may have had good attendance in the last few years, but if ownership expected sell-outs every night at current prices, they would keep them the same.

:sarcasm:

Btw, I'm not sold on that 23000 numbers. Seems wrong to me, any Dallas fan could confirm it?

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
HF-Addict said:
Yes they are trying to maximize their profits. Now that salaries are lowered they can maximize it by filling their arenas by lowering the tickets price (which in the end, they make more money). That's my point. As for Leafs/Montreal etc, like I previously said, I will wait until they say if they are gonna do anything about tickets price or no. We will see.

Your point doesn't change if salaries went up, down, or stayed the same. The goal is always to maximize profits by filling as many possible seats at the equlibrium ticket level. You don't seem to get it. While the profit level will certainly change as expenses do, this is the revenue side of the equation we are dealing with.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
HF-Addict said:
:sarcasm:

Btw, I'm not sold on that 23000 numbers. Seems wrong to me, any Dallas fan could confirm it?

I highly doubt it is 23,000. It is likely around 18,500-19,000. The point is, you claimed that 80% capacity was "fine."

If Dallas was confident that it could sell out at their current price points, they would NOT lower ticket prices, unless they felt it necessary to do so in order to grow their overall business in terms of goodwill, etc.

This is not some altrustic reward for the fans. Owners want to make money, and they want to make as much of it as possible. They're not going to just give it back to the fans just because they deserve it.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Jobu said:
I highly doubt it is 23,000. It is likely around 18,500-19,000. The point is, you claimed that 80% capacity was "fine."

If Dallas was confident that it could sell out at their current price points, they would NOT lower ticket prices, unless they felt it necessary to do so in order to grow their overall business in terms of goodwill, etc.

This is not some altrustic reward for the fans. Owners want to make money, and they want to make as much of it as possible. They're not going to just give it back to the fans just because they deserve it.

Dude just stop, the HOCKEY GAME CAPACITY for American Airlines Center is exactly 18,532 if I remember correctly. Yes they want to make money but don't pretend that giving back to the fans for enduring a lockout isn't part of it.

EDIT - Oh, and another reason is to avoid fan backlash, if your payroll is cut in half you better damn reduce your prices.

Last edited:

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Jobu said:
Your point doesn't change if salaries went up, down, or stayed the same. The goal is always to maximize profits by filling as many possible seats at the equlibrium ticket level. You don't seem to get it. While the profit level will certainly change as expenses do, this is the revenue side of the equation we are dealing with.

I see what you mean now. On the other hand, if they reduced tickets price like they just did, wouldn't that mean that on the previous CBA, the equilibrium ticket level was unbalanced (which I think it was), now that salaries are lower, they can afford to give it back to the fans, grow a larger hockey fan base by attracting the young with less pricey tickets, etc. I guess I'm stubborn, but I understand what you mean. From a business point of view, if they felt they could have make more money by reducing their ticket price, they would have already done it. If they do are reducing now, it's probably to give it back to the fans (maybe they felt not the same amount will come back?), grow a larger fans base so that someday they can put it back at the previous level (low salaries or high for the players - doesn't matter to them) But anyway, the fact that salaries now are lowered made it possible for owners to lower their tickets prices too. Do you think it would have been possible if salaries and the CBA were stayed the same as before?

HeidiHalter

May 24, 2005
Denver
Jobu said:
You're probably exactly right. Leading me to believe that Colorado will not lower ticket prices or if they do it will be by too minor a percentage to make a difference. There is too much demand here to justify significantly lowering ticket prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->