GDT: Dallas Does Dube? Dube Does Dallas? Whatever. Stars @ Flames, November 30 7:00 MT, Sportsnet One

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sandpaper and Huby don't go together: when he gets mad, he skills it up (A few years ago Zadorov cheapshotted Hawyrluk and knocked him out of the game; Huby was pissed and took over)

Last season was a struggle with his style: he plays very open and that's not Sutter.
He had some of the most dominating shifts I can remember seeing during his last year in Florida, especially when he was on the ice with Barkov and they decided to toy with the other team. Hopefully he keeps ramping up.

Reactions: Felidae and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sandpaper and Huby don't go together: when he gets mad, he skills it up (A few years ago Zadorov cheapshotted Hawyrluk and knocked him out of the game; Huby was pissed and took over)

Last season was a struggle with his style: he plays very open and that's not Sutter.

Agreed. And I'm also not saying his entire game has to have a ton of sandpaper. I'm not expecting him to change to become the second coming of Iggy or taking on lots of Tkachuk or Bennett's play style.

I recall a few shifts last season where he'd get mad and him going after an opposition player with a hit and you'd feel like the team was on the cusp of getting momentum in their favor. It didn't always, but I saw bits and pieces of that and I thought it would be great if he'd pull that out on occasion or keep it as a trump card for playoffs. To me it showed a ton of character to do things like that that didn't seem like part of his basic toolset for as long as he'd been in the league. This on top of playing RW for whatever inexplicable reason.

He has my respects, but I can see why so many are frustrated with him. I hope he successfully evolves and more fans embrace him. I could seem him continue to evolve if he had that confidence and that support behind him. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Felidae

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He had some of the most dominating shifts I can remember seeing during his last year in Florida, especially when he was on the ice with Barkov and they decided to toy with the other team. Hopefully he keeps ramping up.
Think we continue to see him (and Kadri) continue to ramp up as our team ramps up. Looked to be a pretty rough transition to the new system, considering not many teams have to suffer though a completely new D-system, transition style, O-zone system, and powerplay system in one offseason. Look at Edmonton, they were dead in the water to start and all they had was a new D-zone system, and even that managed to sap their offense until they figured it out.

Team has finally seemed to figure out our transition and o-zone setup and the proof is in the pudding. Second best 5v5 goal rates in the league during November behind only Colorado, and 9th best offense total despite 3 powerplay goals the entire month. We are starting to see some growth with our players learning the PP system better too with it looking less lethargic already. Regardless expecting our powerplay to remain firing at 11% which would be the worst percent in an 82 game season this decade isn’t realistic, or for it to keep its 6.67 shooting percentage.

Huberdeau and Kadri both need a pretty free flowing offensive system to thrive, and honestly they have already started and we just haven’t noticed because of our toothless PP sapping their counting stats. Huberdeau has 8 points in his last 8 games with only 1 coming on a powerplay, and Kadri has 11 in his last 13 with only 1 PPP as well. Players of their ilk usually get about 1/3 of their points on their powerplay, and even more so for Huberdeau during his time after breaking out in Florida. As our powerplay experiences improvements and honestly just good old fashioned positive regression, expect to see Huberdeau, Kadri, and even Lindholm’s point totals shoot up.

Reactions: Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agreed. And I'm also not saying his entire game has to have a ton of sandpaper. I'm not expecting him to change to become the second coming of Iggy or taking on lots of Tkachuk or Bennett's play style.

I recall a few shifts last season where he'd get mad and him going after an opposition player with a hit and you'd feel like the team was on the cusp of getting momentum in their favor. It didn't always, but I saw bits and pieces of that and I thought it would be great if he'd pull that out on occasion or keep it as a trump card for playoffs. To me it showed a ton of character to do things like that that didn't seem like part of his basic toolset for as long as he'd been in the league. This on top of playing RW for whatever inexplicable reason.

He has my respects, but I can see why so many are frustrated with him. I hope he successfully evolves and more fans embrace him. I could seem him continue to evolve if he had that confidence and that support behind him. Fingers crossed.
Last night is a good example of what you mean, Huby threw a decent check heading behind the net just before Backlund's "hand pass"

Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This recent quality play by the Flames is really putting a damper on my dream of drafting Macklin Celebrini.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
where's the recap by Bounces R Way :D

haha my bad that 3rd straight overtime win put me in the MOOD for a certain something and I forgot after

Said last game against Vegas that it was the best game the Flames have played so far this season. That didn't last long. Stars didn't play very well but Calgary outshot them by 20 and controlled almost the entire game other than the first 5 minutes of the 1st. Don't think they allowed a shot in OT or the last 5-6 minutes of regulation. They are consistently generating speed through the NZ now and to me that means the systems Huska has put in place are beginning to click for the team.

Great -
Hubes had a great game. Seeing that on the rush playmaking is really good, that's what we signed up for. But the defensive pressure, the in-zone presence, the intercepting passes is the stuff that gets me excited. That's a player playing on their toes and it is a welcome sight for the 10.5 million dollar man.
Tanev beast game from him. 1500 career blocked shots and rewarded with a G. Been much better in November than he was in October.
Kadri GWG good to see, was flying out there tonight. 200ft center play has much improved.
Hanifin another quality game. Really being more assertive and making quick good decisions.
Zary a couple fun rushes, played well. Going to be fun when some of those start going in for him.

Very good -
Weegar yeah buddy, think he's becoming a real emotional leader on this team.
Ras was on the ball defensively. You know he's being effective when he's skating into being a good option for his teammates.
Mangiapane thought he was doing the best work of his line. Created some chances down low.
Pospisil maybe a little quieter but love when the guy drops his shoulder and drives wide. Team needs more of that mentality.
Ruzicka also thought he was the best skater on his line. Some nice work defensively on a couple shifts they got caught out against the Pavelski line.

Pretty not bad -
Marky 3GA on 16 shots doesn't look great but those were all 50/50 saves at best. Didn't have a lot to do but stood tall in the 3rd.
Dube & Greer seemed disconnected a bit. Worked hard tho. Sharangovich not as good as he's been but still the level was quality.
Coleman was around it, caught deep a couple times.
I like Dennis Gilbert but shouldn't be a everyday regular. Oesterle not a big fan of this player but that was probably his best performance wearing the flaming C. Would rather see Solo in for one of these guys.
Backlund had a nice 3rd period but turned it over on the rush a bunch. Would like to see him just put a couple of those chances low and hard on net.
Lindy :dunno: not super noticeable either way. Didn't do enough to get inside.

didn't think anybody on the team was bad, maximum effort.

Also someone make this make sense to me:

Maybe that's what the rules say but I would have to say maybe the rules need a revamp if this seems logical.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This recent quality play by the Flames is really putting a damper on my dream of drafting Macklin Celebrini.

Dreams are good, but when it's time to wake up, you can't keep pressing snooze. :)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
haha my bad that 3rd straight overtime win put me in the MOOD for a certain something and I forgot after

Said last game against Vegas that it was the best game the Flames have played so far this season. That didn't last long. Stars didn't play very well but Calgary outshot them by 20 and controlled almost the entire game other than the first 5 minutes of the 1st. Don't think they allowed a shot in OT or the last 5-6 minutes of regulation. They are consistently generating speed through the NZ now and to me that means the systems Huska has put in place are beginning to click for the team.
Yeah, I was really watching their defensive zone play throughout this game. At the start of the year a lot was being made about the switch from man-to-man to zone in the defensive end, and while early in the year it led to a lot of chaos, it really seemed like the Flames were a cohesive unit and knew how to tag in and out on the puck carrier.

Seems like the team has a clear method prevent attacking play from developing (with patience as opposed to desperate urgency under the Sutter system), pounce on opportunities to retrieve the puck and then break the puck out.

Our biggest issue right now leading to offence against is turnovers in the neutral zone, I think.

Offensively, it seems like the Flames are very in tune with where each other are and know where the puck needs to go and where they need to go in order to extend possessions. There is a lot of funnelling the puck to the point, D-to-D and then to the net (rinse and repeat), which is somewhat reminiscent of the Gulutzan days, but there seems to be more care taken in creating dangerous shots with effective traffic as opposed to getting stuck and taking a hope-wrister.

Also someone make this make sense to me:

Maybe that's what the rules say but I would have to say maybe the rules need a revamp if this seems logical.

I would hope that the league agrees, because one of these violations is against the spirit of the game and should probably be covered by the hand pass rule and the other was completely unintentional and not what the hand pass rule is meant to be about, but technically meets the criteria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad