RD Sean Durzi - Owen Sound Attack, OHL (2018, 52nd, TOR; traded to LAK)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Intriguing prospect, has played both forward and defense. Looking for more info on him.

From Brock Otten:
41. Sean Durzi - Defense - Owen Sound Attack
Believe it or not, among draft eligibles, Durzi was actually one of the better performers from the backend in the second half. In the final 51 games of the year (including the playoffs), Durzi had 41 points. That's impressive production for one of the better teams in the OHL. After splitting time between forward and defense last year as a rookie, the late '98 Mississauga native emerged as a top 4 defenseman for the Attack this year and moving forward. He's got a good point shot, even if the 2 goals this year doesn't suggest it. Does a great job with the puck in his own end too and really makes a good first pass. Skating is good, but he does lack elite speed that would make him a major factor as that "dynamic" sort of puck rusher. And without elite size, he relies on good positioning and smarts in the defensive end. Similar to Thilander, I see Durzi as a potentially dependable defender at the next level, but I'm just not sure what potential he has to develop as a dominant force at either end.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2017.html

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=268973

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
As someone who has watched him plenty - and was a big fan when he showed up to camp at 16 as a scrawny kid - Brock's scouting report is pretty well bang on.

Has a lot of the qualities scouts like in modern defenders, but doesn't have any of those qualities enough to really make you say wow or that he has a surefire pro future. Good skater, good passer, good defender, good shot, good everything pretty well. But lacks the elite anything to compensate for his small stature at the NHL level.

Personally I think he has plenty of upside at the OHL level, and could emerge as an absolute stud over the next two seasons. If his skating and speed were better, I'd say he'd be worth drafting in the late rounds for sure. If a team thinks he can improve that, then there's definitely enough skill and hockey smarts to take a chance on him.

Otherwise? Nice player, could be part of a real special Owen Sound squad next season, but a total dart throw for NHL draft purposes. Could just as easily be playing CIS in two seasons as he could be playing pro.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Kid is on fire. 17 points in 9 games as a dman. Also boasts a healthy +/- with 12, leading his team. Has anyone seen him play?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Was at NYI's rookie camp.

So he's on at least one NHL team's radar.

Scratchy

Nov 14, 2011
He may be a late bloomer. After Toronto, Florida, and NYI gave him tryouts, one of those three may be back to draft him. Undrafted players have done well and made the Hall, after all. See how he does the rest of the way, I'm hopeful he keeps moving forward.

Reactions: crump

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Anyone watched him enough to comment on his game this year? Numbers look good

We ran a feature on him in March, where he talked a bit about his disappointment, and growth:

For many players, not being selected at the NHL Draft can derail their career aspirations.

For others, an injury can be that insurmountable roadblock — much less two significant injuries in consecutive years.

For the Owen Sound Attack’s Sean Durzi, the combination of all three has merely added up to resiliency and the mental toughness needed to overcome those barriers and climb up the podium at this year’s NHL draft.

“I’ve worked hard and gone through a lot and the fact that I’m still kicking and probably better than ever right now is definitely something I’d add to my resume,” Durzi said. “I’m very mentally strong, mentally tough, and I have a good mindset no matter what I do.”

https://futureconsiderations.ca/durzi-taking-second-run-draft-experience/

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
i can see someone taking a risk anywhere from 2nd round to 4th round (not a risk at 4th) i would actually love to pick him up as a canes fan
Yeah, I was definitely thinking somewhere in the late 2nd round is where he'll fall this year's draft. He's been mired by injuries the past couple of seasons which may knock him down a bit further but he's definitely got a solid offensive upside as a RHD (so, Marek says increase by 10%).
Durzi had the 8th highest PNHLe for all prospect defensemen playing outside of the NHL at 51.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He may be a late bloomer. After Toronto, Florida, and NYI gave him tryouts, one of those three may be back to draft him. Undrafted players have done well and made the Hall, after all. See how he does the rest of the way, I'm hopeful he keeps moving forward.

Couldn't one of these teams just signed him before the season started? Now they have to use a pick on him

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No one expected him to have the season he did.

I believe last summer Columbus signed an undrafted player. All that being said I guess you can only have 50 contracts on your team so you can't hand out contracts left and right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad