D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I hope Toronto gets him. High end talent. Attitude can change as he gets older. It' one thing to pull the stunts he did amongst his peers in junior. But a wakeup call would come quickly under Babcock and some of the players in the nhl.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I hope Toronto gets him. High end talent. Attitude can change as he gets older. It' one thing to pull the stunts he did amongst his peers in junior. But a wakeup call would come quickly under Babcock and some of the players in the nhl.

If there is any organization that can handle this kid its Toronto.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
When was the last time a kid with serious "character issues" but great upside/talent actually overcame them and became the player they hoped he would be? Kabanov failed, Beach failed, DeAngelo will never be a star, Ho-Sang isn't done for yet but the clock is ticking
People were harping on Nylander for attitude issues.
Worked out OK for Toronto.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Would be happy if he's a Leaf if for nothing less when he torches juniors next year he becomes a great trade chip at the deadline.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't see it with him personally but it wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong.

I would not burn an early 2nd on him in this draft. Probably a late 2nd (if I had multiple 2nds) or a 3rd on him at the earliest.

Just my 2 cents

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
I would like to see this kid getting draft by the Isles and Lamoriello. Ho-Sang, Merkley, what a beauty it would be

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I still want a center but if the Lesfs did add Merkley they would be building quite the stable of young D prospects

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Yup. I would do many things for the Leafs to somehow be in a position to draft him next year. Him and Rielly on separate pairings (and Merkley is a Toronto boy who grew up supporting Toronto) terrorizing match-ups. Merkley moving the puck to Matthews/Marner/Nylander sounds scary.
What unspeakable things did you end up doing?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Detroit should gamble with him at 30-33-36 range, where they have three picks.

I think he's going to go at either #36 or #38, as both Detroit and Montreal have enough picks, that they can gamble one away.

member 147413

I don’t want Toronto to draft him, but I’ve got a feeling that he’s our pick if he’s still available at 25.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What unspeakable things did you end up doing?
He's been working full time defaming Merkelys attitude and work ethic on multiple HF accounts, and leaking false information to scouts.

Just like last year when a Leaf fan slipped Liljegren a vile of mono.

Reactions: Apotheosis

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I don’t want Toronto to draft him, but I’ve got a feeling that he’s our pick if he’s still available at 25.
I personally wouldn't pick him with our pick due to his issues. There is no doubt the talent is there, and without the character/attitude issues he is likely a top 5 pick in the draft. He is bad defender at this point, but I think that is attributed to his attitude. I think he has the capability to clean the D-end play up if he wants to.

Even though I personally wouldn't take the chance on him with our 1st, I trust that Dubas and our staff have done their due diligence, and will give them the benefit of the doubt if they pick him, and that they strongly feel as though they can clean him up in terms of character/attitude and his defensive game.

I do have a feeling that if they are on the board at #25 (barring a big slide of a high ranked player) that Leafs will pick either Miller or Merkley.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah but I mean that was more so people just flat out being wrong about Nylander having attitude issues as much as him being a good player despite them. I don't think there is any doubting Merkley has red flags and they are real.
Nylander also wasn't given a no-draft grade by multiple NHL teams. They aren't comparable situations.

member 147413

I personally wouldn't pick him with our pick due to his issues. There is no doubt the talent is there, and without the character/attitude issues he is likely a top 5 pick in the draft. He is bad defender at this point, but I think that is attributed to his attitude. I think he has the capability to clean the D-end play up if he wants to.

Even though I personally wouldn't take the chance on him with our 1st, I trust that Dubas and our staff have done their due diligence, and will give them the benefit of the doubt if they pick him, and that they strongly feel as though they can clean him up in terms of character/attitude and his defensive game.

I do have a feeling that if they are on the board at #25 (barring a big slide of a high ranked player) that Leafs will pick either Miller or Merkley.
Agree with everything here. Good post.

Reactions: AppsSyl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->