D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If I were an NHL scout or general manager, I would definitely consider the "where there's smoke there's fire" way of looking at this situation. So I would be cautious.

But my point is that we should use concepts like "character issues" carefully, rather than throwing them around as if behavioral distinctions can be that easily labeled and dismissed. And now the DeAngelo comparisons are coming up even though they do not have a firm foundation, all because we rely too much on broad generalizations about "difficult" people.
NHL scouts and GM's know the story. They don't just No Draft a guy for vague media generalizations. The side you are talking about is what we hear as fans. Which is completely different. The media rarely go into detail unless they absolutely have to.

I'd say a kid getting kicked off his bench (by two separate coaches) and getting suspended by his team for conduct detrimental to the team (after being kicked off the bench mid-game) while the team is fighting for playoff positioning are a pretty strong indictment on his character. When you hear a bunch of NHL teams appears to have validated these concerns and have decided he isn't worth gambling on is telling.

Flat out, DeAngelo had anger issues which would lead to blow-ups. But, he was way more coachable. Its just those blow-ups once every 2 or 3 weeks just made it not worth dealing with.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
NHL scouts and GM's know the story. They don't just No Draft a guy for vague media generalizations. The side you are talking about is what we hear as fans. Which is completely different. The media rarely go into detail unless they absolutely have to.

I'd say a kid getting kicked off his bench (by two separate coaches) and getting suspended by his team for conduct detrimental to the team (after being kicked off the bench mid-game) while the team is fighting for playoff positioning are a pretty strong indictment on his character. When you hear a bunch of NHL teams appears to have validated these concerns and have decided he isn't worth gambling on is telling.

Do you know the story or do you just trust the story? While I agree that what we hear is troubling and concerning, I am not willing to put such complete trust in what people say when there is no substantive information attached.

Let's face it, NHL scouts and general managers are not behavioral scientists and are wrong constantly in their assessments of players.

Communication is a two-way street and there is something very unpleasant in the way the scouting community smears a teenager at a time when he should be nurtured. There is a cruelty to this.

Flat out, DeAngelo had anger issues which would lead to blow-ups. But, he was way more coachable. Its just those blow-ups once every 2 or 3 weeks just made it not worth dealing with.

Funny, but I would say that a racist and homophobe is the one not worth dealing with, rather than a kid with emotional issues.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do you know the story or do you just trust the story? While I agree that what we hear is troubling and concerning, I am not willing to put such complete trust in what people say when there is no substantive information attached.

Let's face it, NHL scouts and general managers are not behavioral scientists and are wrong constantly in their assessments of players.

Communication is a two-way street and there is something very unpleasant in the way the scouting community smears a teenager at a time when he should be nurtured. There is a cruelty to this.

Funny, but I would say that a racist and homophobe is the one not worth dealing with, rather than a kid with emotional issues.
I know more than what is published here or is publically in the media, but I'm not going to potentially burn sources by putting everything out there.

I'd say when the issues carry on from AAA to currently two different coaches, there is a common denominator in the problem. And, it isn't the coaches. I say this as someone who isn't a fan of George Burnett as a coach and know he can be a hard-ass.

NHL teams also hire people who specialize in behavioral economics. They also have a track record in seeing what type of personalities succeed. No one is going to bat at a high-end level when you figure out what an 18-year-old is going to be.

I wouldn't want to deal with DeAngelo, but he wasn't the same everyday grind that a kid who literally lacks compete and is unwilling to listen to instruction does to a coach in a result driven business.

Flat out the only blatent kid labelled a head case who turned out well is Phil Kessel. Cizikis had weird issues that detaches him from other comparables. There is a long line of failures such as Kris Beech and Kabanov. Guys like DeAngelo, Shinkaruk, and likely Ho-Sang soon will be traded for less than what a team invested in them draft pick wise.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
When was the last time a kid with serious "character issues" but great upside/talent actually overcame them and became the player they hoped he would be? Kabanov failed, Beach failed, DeAngelo will never be a star, Ho-Sang isn't done for yet but the clock is ticking

Reactions: shello

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When was the last time a kid with serious "character issues" but great upside/talent actually overcame them and became the player they hoped he would be? Kabanov failed, Beach failed, DeAngelo will never be a star, Ho-Sang isn't done for yet but the clock is ticking
Kessel, but he had next level talent compared to everyone else. And, he's still had a bit of a roller coaster career and flameouts with coaches and management.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Kessel, but he had next level talent compared to everyone else. And, he's still had a bit of a roller coaster career and flameouts with coaches and management.

So no one in 11 years has actually lived up to their talent. Shows that these scouts and teams actually know what they are doing. I bet these kids are followed so closely for any number of years they probably have them pegged down as ND years ago. The Islanders have a history of giving them a chance but I expect they will not touch Merkely under the new regime.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So no one in 11 years has actually lived up to their talent. Shows that these scouts and teams actually know what they are doing. I bet these kids are followed so closely for any number of years they probably have them pegged down as ND years ago. The Islanders have a history of giving them a chance but I expect they will not touch Merkely under the new regime.
Cizikis was also a no-draft for a bunch of reasons. But, it was so different than everyone else, that its worth pointing out. Cizikis was charged with manslaughter for accidentally killing an opponent during a game of rugby.

I can't think of anyone else who was rumored to be widespread on a bunch of no-draft lists. There have been kids who were no-draft for certain teams who have succeeded, but we have no idea who they are.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I know more than what is published here or is publically in the media, but I'm not going to potentially burn sources by putting everything out there.

I'd say when the issues carry on from AAA to currently two different coaches, there is a common denominator in the problem. And, it isn't the coaches. I say this as someone who isn't a fan of George Burnett as a coach and know he can be a hard-ass.

NHL teams also hire people who specialize in behavioral economics. They also have a track record in seeing what type of personalities succeed. No one is going to bat at a high-end level when you figure out what an 18-year-old is going to be.

I wouldn't want to deal with DeAngelo, but he wasn't the same everyday grind that a kid who literally lacks compete and is unwilling to listen to instruction does to a coach in a result driven business.

Flat out the only blatent kid labelled a head case who turned out well is Phil Kessel. Cizikis had weird issues that detaches him from other comparables. There is a long line of failures such as Kris Beech and Kabanov. Guys like DeAngelo, Shinkaruk, and likely Ho-Sang soon will be traded for less than what a team invested in them draft pick wise.

As I have said, I believe taking "smoke/fire" approach makes sense from a team standpoint. But the use of terms like "headcase" to label very different (and young) people is unprofessional and unethical from a media standpoint.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Some mock drafts are speculating that leafs might use 25 on him. At the very least, it'll be great entertainment on Hfboards.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If that's the case of him being "less" of a player and not as skilled ... seeing Deangelo play for 3 different Orgs in 3 seasons and not be able to crack any of the 3's line up consistently......
I can't see any reason a team drafts this kid before 4th round
exactly...just going off DeAngelo, I doubt this kid is going to get picked in the top 60 if he has team meetings and suspensions for poor attitude. DeAngelo was just an asshat, lots of emotions, but lack of effort was never one of them...if he has trouble making it, Merkley is in for one hell of an up-hill climb..

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
exactly...just going off DeAngelo, I doubt this kid is going to get picked in the top 60 if he has team meetings and suspensions for poor attitude. DeAngelo was just an asshat, lots of emotions, but lack of effort was never one of them...if he has trouble making it, Merkley is in for one hell of an up-hill climb..
Someone will always think the issues are overhyped and believe that they can fix that person. NHL teams are filled with people with big egos who think they can fix players issues. Maybe someone can, I just wouldn't want my team being the one with that level of hubris.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Someone will always think the issues are overhyped and believe that they can fix that person. NHL teams are filled with people with big egos who think they can fix players issues. Maybe someone can, I just wouldn't want my team being the one with that level of hubris.
yeah, who knows exactly how teams are looking at Merkley. I do not like what I hear as at this age you should have a chip on your shoulder/some confidence as you need to, but acting like a baby in a supermarket is a bit too much. IMO, there is no way he goes undrafted, or anywhere close to that, there will be a few teams lining up to get him and some probably even in the second round that feel like you stated - they can correct those issues. you simply cannot teach skill, but you can't really teach class and work ethic either, unless you ship their ass to the military for a year...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
yeah, who knows exactly how teams are looking at Merkley. I do not like what I hear as at this age you should have a chip on your shoulder/some confidence as you need to, but acting like a baby in a supermarket is a bit too much. IMO, there is no way he goes undrafted, or anywhere close to that, there will be a few teams lining up to get him and some probably even in the second round that feel like you stated - they can correct those issues. you simply cannot teach skill, but you can't really teach class and work ethic either, unless you ship their ass to the military for a year...
He'll go between 20 and 62. I wouldn't be shocked if my team is one of the few willing to draft him.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Anthony DeAngelo pretty easily outperformed him in nearly every facet of the game in his draft year while playing less games....and from all accounts less attitude issues than this kid (had issues no doubt, but not like this) and he barely cracked the top 20...on skill alone, he was/is behind DeAngelo, and on attitude not helping his cause much. without the attitude I doubt he goes any higher than DeAngelo did because of the non existent defense he plays...

im not arguing that

but on skill alone both probably go top ten in their draft at the time

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Always think it’s odd that people who liekly have never met a prospect face to face seem to have such strong opinions on their personal life/character.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I have done a good amount of research on Merkley. I decided to try to piece every incident and rumor involving him and put it together in an article. I tried comparing Merkley to some other stars and prospects who have had character issues. Hopefully this is a helpful tool
Ryan Merkley: The Enigma - The SB5

I read up what you wrote again a day later. Obviously you like the guy but I appreciate the breakdown and the work involved.

Reactions: sammystl5

Leopain

Jun 15, 2017
Always think it’s odd that people who liekly have never met a prospect face to face seem to have such strong opinions on their personal life/character.

For DeAngelo his personal life/character was pretty public when he was in the Yotes. His twitter account is a lot more discreet now, I'm pretty sure NYR management told him to shut up when they got him. Also we know that he was suspended when playing in the OHL for use of a homophobic or racial slur. I have a strong opinion on anybody who is like that.

For Merkley it is more mysterious, though. It sure makes a fun thread to read!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hockey I.Q. wise he is very smart. It is a lack of effort on the defensive end and some character flaws that have people hesitating

Nah.

If you were to compare hockey IQ to a novel...Merkley has a golden page in the book that wows everyone, and a glistening cover. The rest of the novel is terrible.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
From watching the guelph storm playoffs highlights :

-Wont even put his stick down on the ice while covering his guy...just softly skates with his stick at waist level (??!!)

-Seems very happy when teammates score from his pass , showing surprisingly high emotion

-Slams his stick unpatiently like hes annoyed on the ice in OT , then proceed to make a nice pass on the zone entry leading to the GWG

If you had to watch one moment to get an idea , watch these highlights from this game 6 and focus on his play when his team is losing 4-2 with 2:34 to play , the season on the line and he cannot even bother trying to skate back , gliding like theres nothing he can do to prevent anything , like the goal is a fatality. He wont even bump the guy , he softly avoids him at the last second.

I have never seen that before , its shocking that a player like that could reach the OHL , shows how talented he is.

Apr. 1/18 – GM6 – KIT (5) – GUE (2) – Guelph Storm

Reactions: HockeyAnalystGenius

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Merkley has high amounts of skill and can really see the ice. He gets a lot of open ice after making moves and using his speed. He takes advantage of the open ice to make some pretty amazing plays and really sets his team up for plenty of scoring chances. A major flaw he has is that if he sees that his teammates lose the puck often after he gives them a nice feed, he will refuse to pass to them and turn the puck over himself. After this happens, it triggers his anger. He will then give up on the defensive end relentlessly throughout the game. Even though his defensive game is already undeveloped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->