D Joel Persson - Vaxjo Lakers HC, SHL (Undrafted)

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Didn't see a thread for him so I made one. I'm hoping the Canucks sign this guy. 22 points in 25 games so far as a 23 year old defenceman. Second on the team in points after Pettersson.

Does anyone know anything about this him? Seems like a bit of an unknown but looking back his numbers have always been impressive offensively.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
What a story. Worked part time in a school as a teacher's assistent last year and is today one of the best D's in the SHL. Big part of Växjö's success, I see NHL upside in this player.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
How is it possible to make a jump this big? Imagine if he gets a shot in the NHL next year! From tier 3 in Sweden to NHL in less than two years.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
How is it possible to make a jump this big? Imagine if he gets a shot in the NHL next year! From tier 3 in Sweden to NHL in less than two years.
His vision hands and IQ are high end, but there is no way in hell he should play in the NHL next season his skating is not even remotely average, even by SHL standards. He also has a ton of strenght to add before even attempting the NHL.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Says a lot about how thorough Swedish GM's are when a top-5 D-man in the country can go unnoticed for years.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I think his skating is fine.
I don’t agree, when forced to turn and chase guys it’s been obvious that he is lacking in that aspect.

That said, the only defensemen who are more skilled than him in the SHL are Rasmus Dahlin and Adam Boqvist IMO.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
This guy a dark horse to maybe QB the Oilers PP at some point?
Ya im curious too.. By what ive read and also what Oils need, seems like there is some serious potential for this guy to succeed big time
He'll have an opportunity for sure. Defense as of now looks like this:

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - ______
Russell - ______

So two spots open on RD. Issue is there's also a ton of competition. Benning, Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Lagesson, and potentially even Samorukov are all looking to fill those positions too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad