Podcast (Audio) D.J. Smith on The Cam and Strick Podcast

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It is unfortunate that someone was harassing his kid on twitter and threatening him that his dad should be fired because the Sens had a poor start to the season. Smith mentions how it was eye opening for him that some people go way over the line and this has nothing to do with his kid. He starts into that around the 1:06:00 mark of the video.

The rest of the interview was really good though.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Damn, that was a great interview. Shamelessly I love hearing people gush over our team, and I love the way DJ coaches. Personally I believe in his approach to group dynamics, and his methods of influencing and moulding culture and relationship.

My kind of guy, my kind of team. DJ and PD are doing a great job together, props to Trent and the rest of the coaching and scouting staff too.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Twitter is nothing more than a toxic cesspool. Sad.

It's awful, it's unfortunate that the community leaders of Sens twitter who like to appear progressive on social issues can't see that they have a hand in actions like this. That's not to say they are fully responsible for how others act but their constant digs at members of the organization and players absolutely set the tone to how fans perceive and act towards staff and players.

Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Expectations have been low so far, so he still has a lot to prove in terms of on ice results, but I absolutely love DJ. Everything you hear about him from people around the game is nothing but great. I hope he’s around for a long time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It is unfortunate that someone was harassing his kid on twitter and threatening him that his dad should be fired because the Sens had a poor start to the season. Smith mentions how it was eye opening for him that some people go way over the line and this has nothing to do with his kid. He starts into that around the 1:06:00 mark of the video.

The rest of the interview was really good though.
Another example of how crazy some people are to take sports so damn seriously that they would harass someone's child. What the hell is wrong with some people that they would threaten children over sports? It's just another head shaker with the stupidity of some people. :thumbd::facepalm:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Love how these guys can’t stop talking about Brady. His play seems to really resonate with retired players, and coaches around the league.

Reactions: aragorn

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Loved DJ on this podcast and really makes me think about him and coaching this team in a different light.

He seems so In tune with the players and what he has to.do to connect with them more then any other coach I have heard speak. This guy is totally a players coach by definition.

I was so impressed with him and his answers, made me think of him in totally different light and what he will do for this franchise.

P.S. The cam and stick are not my favorite podcasters and would rather listen to a drunken Ryan Keslar all night long then these two fools.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Loved DJ on this podcast and really makes me think about him and coaching this team in a different light.

He seems so In tune with the players and what he has to.do to connect with them more then any other coach I have heard speak. This guy is totally a players coach by definition.

I was so impressed with him and his answers, made me think of him in totally different light and what he will do for this franchise.

P.S. The cam and stick are not my favorite podcasters and would rather listen to a drunken Ryan Keslar all night long then these two fools.

I like that DJ can self evaluate, admit that he may have been wrong (or at least less effective) and make changes where he thinks he has erred.

That trait goes a long way when working with people, as long as you’re not wrong ALL the time lol.

Sounds like a good guy, his advice on coaching his son was great as well. Just seems to know how to connect and motivate people, and help create a culture as mentioned said.

Interestingly he was saying that he works hard each game to come up with reasons for the guys to get fired up. Stuff like ‘we haven’t beat this team at home in 5 years!’ But for each team each game. He works to find some extra motivation for the guys.

Also, he explained what most of us could see on the ice, and that’s that the Tkachuk brothers don’t like playing against each other and are much more hockey focused when they do. He explains how both brothers keep things clean with other players too so that they don’t make their brother have to come to their defence.

He said the two are best friends and don’t want to fight each other on the big stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad