D Evan Bouchard - London Knights, OHL (2018, 10th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think everyone and their dog understood what he meant by French. Is his last name French or French Canadian? Doesnt really matter because in Canada everyone knows what someone means by French so [mod] worry about commenting on the player, not semantics

My dog didn’t know actually and thanked me for informing him just now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They are completely equivalent and it’s unfortunate that you prefer to stay ignorant rather than just say “my bad” or “what I meant is French-Canadian.” Just be aware for the next time is all I’m saying.

There are twice as many Uyghurs in China as French Canadians in Quebec. There are more Tatars in Russia than French Canadians in Quebec. That’s not at all equivalent to more than 2oo million non-Hispanic whites in the US. Canada as a whole is a squirt of a country and you’re finger wagging about a fraction of a fraction.

There is absolutely no equivalence to something so dumb as Patrick Kane is English versus a joke that the Montreal Canadiens like to draft players with French heritage or that Bouchard is a French surname. Is Bouchard even a French Canadian? The joke originally was that he wasn’t.

Your stance here is an excruciatingly tedious exercise in hypersensitive, performative, corrective semantics. It’s nit picking and akin to PC or grammar policing. It’s like nauseating hybrid of the two, really. Especially since you were wrong. Bouchard is not a French Canadian name. It’s a French name.

I still maintain this display of yours is incredibly ironic given your apparent taste in film. God save us from the jokes! There are a bunch of Lena Dunham avatars laying around that might interest you.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There are twice as many Uyghurs in China as French Canadians in Quebec. There are more Tatars in Russia than French Canadians in Quebec. That’s not at all equivalent to more than 2oo million non-Hispanic whites in the US. Canada as a whole is a squirt of a country and you’re finger wagging about a fraction of a fraction.

There is absolutely no equivalence to something so dumb as Patrick Kane is English versus a joke that the Montreal Canadiens like to draft players with French heritage or that Bouchard is a French surname. Is Bouchard even a French Canadian? The joke originally was that he wasn’t.

Your stance here is an excruciatingly tedious exercise in hypersensitive, performative, corrective semantics. It’s nit picking and akin to PC or grammar policing. It’s like nauseating hybrid of the two, really. Especially since you were wrong. Bouchard is not a French Canadian name. It’s a French name.

I still maintain this display of yours is incredibly ironic given your apparent taste in film. God save us from the jokes! There are a bunch of Lena Dunham avatars laying around that might interest you.

Well if you maybe stopped to think for a second the issue isn’t simply for French-Canadians, but those of France too, the actual people you refer to when saying “French”. By the way, just to inform you again, but French-Canadians don’t just come from Quebec. There’s a bunch in Ontario, Manitoba and New Brunswick as well.

Also when I originally quoted you, I didn’t nitpick your use of “French name” but of your use of “drafting French players.” Unless you meant the abundance of players from France recently, like...Texier?

And you’re right about those cultural groups, we should actually refer to them as separate entities, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

You’re so riled up for no good reason, I was just informing you that people from France are not the same as people from Quebec. Unless you think common language (which is a different variation no less) is enough to lump people together. It’s an important distinction for both groups, but you apparently could not care any less.

Clearly you’re more intelligent than this, but maybe you just prefer being ignorant. I mean it’s okay, it doesn’t bother me. The Lena Dunham example was a terrible joke, you can do better.

Back on topic, Evan Bouchard is great but I worry about his skating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

rt

May 13, 2004
In Brock Otten’s Media/Scout Poll there are no references to his mobility from anyone quoted. Makes me nervous.

Evan Bouchard - Defense - London Knights
Total Votes: 18
High/Low Ranking: 2nd (14x)/6th(1x)
Comments:
“He’s got a big-time shot and as his junior career has progressed, he has learned to use it more. Great poise with the puck and he may be the best passer in the entire draft class.” - Ryan Kennedy

“I can't get over how he is able to get so many shots through screens and on goal. Just improving each and every time I see him. Another well coached student of Dale Hunter - and it shows!” - Tony Ambrogio

“Bouchard just continues to plug along as one of the OHL’s top defencemen and one of the best blue liners in this draft. Bouchard is an incredibly smart passer who has an incredible knack to get pucks through a crowd and into the back of the net. His stock has been shooting up due to the consistency at which he is producing and carrying a London Knights team that sold off their top players at the deadline.” - Dylan Galloway

"The offensive production is no joke. His vision is off the charts good. His ability to find that seam and anticipate movement and holes from the point is elite. I think about a play I saw him make recently as a perfect example. On the powerplay, with about three sticks in the slot, he put a bullet pass on the stick of a teammate, cross ice, near the crease, who was circling around the net. The precision and timing that required was astounding. I do have some questions about his ability to defend and win battles consistently in the corners. But I have zero questions about his hockey sense." - Brock Otten

“The numbers are pretty stunning, even as a late birth date where you expect him to be a step ahead. Offensively, I think he's special. In talking with some scouts very recently, there is some moderate concern about his D-zone play. Still, the distribution skills, his shot, his vision, they're all high end.” - Anonymous

OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2018

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
It's really not an issue whatsoever. He doesn't have the blazing speed or lateral agility of someone like Ryan Merkley, but he's still what I'd call a strong skater at the OHL level. He still can create separation with his speed or walk the line with the puck, but perhaps his first step could be better.

I don't think comparisons to John Carlson are inaccurate. I also don't hate a John Klingberg comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It's really not an issue whatsoever. He doesn't have the blazing speed or lateral agility of someone like Ryan Merkley, but he's still what I'd call a strong skater at the OHL level. He still can create separation with his speed or walk the line with the puck, but perhaps his first step could be better.

I don't think comparisons to John Carlson are inaccurate. I also don't hate a John Klingberg comparison.
How does Bouchard compare to Juolevi as an overall player

rt

May 13, 2004

this kid is ****ING good...carry on!

How close is he to NHL ready? What does he need to work on most?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Lots of scouts think he has a pretty good chance to play as soon as next year. I believe it was THN that said he was the most NHL-ready prospect other than Dahlin available in this year’s draft. Ceiling is up to you to decide, scouts are pretty divisive on it - though all that I’ve read think he will definitely be at least an average top-4 guy sooner rather than later.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
I really can't see the argument for him over Dobson. Like him, and he's doing impressive things but he has a lot of real question marks

Reactions: Habs76

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Lots of scouts think he has a pretty good chance to play as soon as next year. I believe it was THN that said he was the most NHL-ready prospect other than Dahlin available in this year’s draft. Ceiling is up to you to decide, scouts are pretty divisive on it - though all that I’ve read think he will definitely be at least an average top-4 guy sooner rather than later.

I'd agree if I could see him play a normal 20 mins game and see if his defense gets to the level you expect from a top 10 pick.

Guy quits on plays and gets physically beat. His minutes could be the main reason why, but if it's not he's not NHL ready.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd agree if I could see him play a normal 20 mins game and see if his defense gets to the level you expect from a top 10 pick.

Guy quits on plays and gets physically beat. His minutes could be the main reason why, but if it's not he's not NHL ready.

I remember vividly watching Kulikov in his draft year playing 30mins a night and never getting the hype. He looked thick headed out there. I was assured it was the minutes and the schedule. Turns out it was also a Kulikov issue and not just a usage issue.

I also remember watching dozens of Brandon Gormley’s amateur games and thinking “skating, schmating, this kid can PLAY”. Turns out the skating mattered. A lot.

Both of these kids were slam dunk Junior D.

I’m also reminded of another D year junior captain with a huge slapper who had mobility issues but was seen as having pro ready physical maturity. Ryan Pulock has ended being one hell of a project anyway.

I wish I had the chance to see Bouchard play. London isn’t getting games on in the states like the used to. I’m going to have to rely on folks who see him game in and game out to help convince me that he’s not a Pulock or a Kulikov or a Gormley.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

He could still use another year in junior to develop defensively probably. He's by no means bad defensively (he's the best on the Knights defensively), but it's just a matter of smoothing out his technique. If an NHL team had a glaring hole on defense, he could probably step right in if he had to.

How does Bouchard compare to Juolevi as an overall player

Bouchard is similar to Juolevi in terms of skating and defense, but blows him out of the water offensively. Much more creative and has a cannon of a shot.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I remember vividly watching Kulikov in his draft year playing 30mins a night and never getting the hype. He looked thick headed out there. I was assured it was the minutes and the schedule. Turns out it was also a Kulikov issue and not just a usage issue.

I also remember watching dozens of Brandon Gormley’s amateur games and thinking “skating, schmating, this kid can PLAY”. Turns out the skating mattered. A lot.

Both of these kids were slam dunk Junior D.

I’m also reminded of another D year junior captain with a huge slapper who had mobility issues but was seen as having pro ready physical maturity. Ryan Pulock has ended being one hell of a project anyway.

I wish I had the chance to see Bouchard play. London isn’t getting games on in the states like the used to. I’m going to have to rely on folks who see him game in and game out to help convince me that he’s not a Pulock or a Kulikov or a Gormley.

A good comparison to make to ease this feeling is looking at the where each player ranked on their team for points in their draft year.

Kulikov: 5th on team in scoring. 64 points less than the leading scorer on the team.
Gormley: 7th on team in scoring. 34 points less than the leading scorer on the team.
Bouchard: 1st on team in scoring. 38 points more than the leading scorer on the team (30 more than Sam Miletic's point total before he was traded).

Bouchard is carrying a very young team, which has little scoring depth, to home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Really high on this guy. Reminds me of burns in his ability to get shots on net. He's 2nd in the entire friggen OHL in SOG !!! As posted above leading dmen with 84 points now and 11th overall (38 more than next player on the team). Incredible vision and passing (read some reports saying he was the best passer in the draft).

Skating/mobility definitely isnt a plus but none of the reports i was reading were listing it as a negative. Its clearly good enough for this level, the question is will it improve to be good enough for the next level. Guys like Carlson, Klefbom, Weber, etc arent amazing, dynamic skaters.

I guess defense is a bit of an unknown but as others have mentioned, tough to get a proper read on it when he plays so bloody much.

Does anyone recall how his defense was before the trade deadline? Has his skating improved from last year or over this season?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Really high on this guy. Reminds me of burns in his ability to get shots on net. He's 2nd in the entire friggen OHL in SOG !!! As posted above leading dmen with 84 points now and 11th overall (38 more than next player on the team). Incredible vision and passing (read some reports saying he was the best passer in the draft).

Skating/mobility definitely isnt a plus but none of the reports i was reading were listing it as a negative. Its clearly good enough for this level, the question is will it improve to be good enough for the next level. Guys like Carlson, Klefbom, Weber, etc arent amazing, dynamic skaters.

I guess defense is a bit of an unknown but as others have mentioned, tough to get a proper read on it when he plays so bloody much.

Does anyone recall how his defense was before the trade deadline?
Has his skating improved from last year or over this season?

London didn't have any D to sell at the deadline so I'm not sure how that would affect him. 7 D have played 40 or more games for London this year.

Evan Bouchard: 18 year old, 135 OHL games over the previous 2 years

Alec Regula: 17 year old OHL rookie, 53 USHL games the previous year.
Jacob Golden: 18 year old, 38 OHL games the previous year.
Shane Collins: 20 year old, first year in OHL, 196 WHL games prior.
Andrew Perrott: 16 year old OHL rookie
Roley Coome: 18 year old, 6 OHL the previous year
Tim Fallowfield: 18 year old OHL rookie

The total OHL experience of those 6 before this year was 44 games. I'm sure the Knights were expecting to have Mete back to help solidify that group but obviously Montreal kept him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Hunters will have to put a leash on him next year because he certainly can’t play like that in the NHL, he doesn’t have the speed or endurance to go deep in the offensive zone and come back defensively shift by shift. He’s dead tired in the second half of games. His numbers will take a hit but he’ll need to start playing more like a pro.

His skating is almost like Weber. The thing with Weber is he has great anticipation and takes great angles between pucks and opponents. Bouchard needs to work on that more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->