D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
yeah the same one, taken 99th overall in the same draft as Makar was 4th overall yep that guy he was also an over ager too so no one saw fit to draft him last year but of course he should be outscoring a 4th overall. Im sorry id expect a 4th overall pick to be a catalyst on his team wherever he plays.

You negate the fact that Bryson already had a year of NCAA experience and is just tied with Makar in scoring while playing on a better team.

Now im not doubting that Bryson isnt a good prospect, he is, but sitting there and talking s**t about a 4th overall pick by saying hes not making an impact is ridiculous. He absolutely is making an impact, Makar is literally the only reason why UMass was relevant in Hockey East this season and made it as far as they did. If jumping from AJHL tier 2 Jr. A and keeping a program that was 6ft under relevant isnt making an impact I dont know what is. Get over yourself.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
You negate the fact that Bryson already had a year of NCAA experience and is just tied with Makar in scoring while playing on a better team.

Now im not doubting that Bryson isnt a good prospect, he is, but sitting there and talking s**t about a 4th overall pick by saying hes not making an impact is ridiculous. He absolutely is making an impact, Makar is literally the only reason why UMass was relevant in Hockey East this season and made it as far as they did. If jumping from AJHL tier 2 Jr. A and keeping a program that was 6ft under relevant isnt making an impact I dont know what is. Get over yourself.

Perhaps Mario Ferraro deserves some credit too.

Mario Ferraro -D- 2nd Rd. #49 2017 NHL Draft
1998-09-17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18 UMass (Amherst) NCAA3941923
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cale Makar D- 1st Rd. #4 2017 NHL Draft
1998-10-30
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18 UMass (Amherst) NCAA3451621
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: cg98

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Perhaps Mario Ferraro deserves some credit too.

Mario Ferraro -D- 2nd Rd. #49 2017 NHL Draft
1998-09-17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18 UMass (Amherst) NCAA3941923
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cale Makar D- 1st Rd. #4 2017 NHL Draft
1998-10-30
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18 UMass (Amherst) NCAA3451621
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ferraro is good too, forgot about him. Im pretty sure he earned a WJ invite too. I dont think he has the game breaking ability that Makar has, but he did make an impact on that UMass program too.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Him staying in college will be fine, especially just to 'play it safe' for the expansion draft. It will allow the Avs to go 7+3, protecting: Mack, Landy, Rants, Jost, Kerfoot, Compher, [Barrie trade]; EJ, Zadorov, Girard. Meloche, and at least one of Makar & Timmins should be ready for full time NHL action by 2020 leaving the Avs in great shape.

Another option I'm in favor of is Joe trading Barrie for a high-end exempt forward like Zadina and use that extra spot to protect someone like Kamenev another forward that may be signed or step up. Obviously, trading Barrie remains a controversial point on the Avs board but I've been a firm believer in the idea for a while. TBH the largest hurdle to cross in a move like this would be to disrupt room chemistry with him and Mackinnon being BFFs, but business is business.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I was responding to a poster who compared liljegern to meloche. The age gap is actually wider between Liljegren and meloche than Bryson and makar. And Meloche 6 years more experience on NA ice compared to liljegrens 32 games.

I really don't want to keep talking about liljegren in here, all I am doing with this post is providing context as to why I made the makar/Bryson comparison

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was responding to a poster who compared liljegern to meloche. The age gap is actually wider between Liljegren and meloche than Bryson and makar. And Meloche 6 years more experience on NA ice compared to liljegrens 32 games.

I really don't want to keep talking about liljegren in here, all I am doing with this post is providing context as to why I made the makar/Bryson comparison

Meloche & Liljegren are both first year AHLers and Meloche plays on a weaker team *shrug*

They are actually in comparable stages of their development...unlike Makar & Bryson...

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Meloche & Liljegren are both first year AHLers and Meloche plays on a weaker team *shrug*

They are actually in comparable stages of their development...unlike Makar & Bryson...
Lol. Are you serious in your comparison? Liljegren is 18 years old, the youngest D in the league by 2 years and has had to adjust to NA ice. Meloche is 2 years older. Honestly, what do you think Liljegren would look like in the AHL in two years? He is better than Meloche now let alone in 2 years. I really hope Makar gets called up to play in the AHL if he is able now that his season is done. I would love to see him play against men in a pro league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lol. Are you serious in your comparison? Liljegren is 18 years old, the youngest D in the league by 2 years and has had to adjust to NA ice. Meloche is 2 years older. Honestly, what do you think Liljegren would look like in the AHL in two years? He is better than Meloche now let alone in 2 years. I really hope Makar gets called up to play in the AHL if he is able now that his season is done. I would love to see him play against men in a pro league.

Reading the age v experience argument really makes me want to insert a link to the MacKinnon v Matthews thread...

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Should spend another year in college because he is still very raw. Makar had an incredible run down the stretch that he needs to contine into next season. I could see the avs calling him around this time next year, maybe AHL then some playoffs if the avs are so lucky.

Reactions: MaKarter

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I think it is good that there is no decision yet on whether Cale has decided to turn pro yet. The longer the better. I don't know how it works, but hopefully the Avalanche are giving him the 5 star treatment, taking him to meet the team, watch the games and offering him the highest amount they can for an ELC.

It's unfortunate that the expansion draft could be holding him back from joining the team now. IMO he could really help give the Avalanche a spark (not that they need it right now). Maybe a boost is a better word. The top line is going gangbusters, but the secondary scoring has slowed a bit I think. He could easily slot in the 2nd power play and eat up more minutes as well on the 3rd pairing to get his feet wet. The Avalanche currently are using 4 forwards on each PP unit it looks like and their 3rd pairing is Siemens and Warsofsky. I guess once EJ comes back different story, but if they make the playoffs they will need depth for sure. Injuries always factor in the playoffs.

Makar has already played lots of big games this year in the WJC's and NCAA playoffs. He is used to the pressure and to big minutes. I am sure he could help the Avalanche now, but I guess very small chance of this happening as they would need to protect him in the expansion draft in 2 years if they did this.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Girard runs the 2nd unit and a lot of Avs fans want him to replace Barrie on the top unit. So I dunno how much Makar would really boost our PP unless we played him in the MacKinnon spot of the 2nd unit, on the left half board

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
If Makar was going to sign and play in the AHL he'd already be doing it. I guess he could still sign over the summer but I doubt it.

I believe Makar is in talks with the Avalanche right now according to coach Carvel. Last year Jost took a week to decide to turn pro so this is right on par with that scenario. I am guessing we will hear within the next week what his decision will be. Best to weigh all his options. That is the smart thing to do anyway. Hardest to finally decide to make a change, that is why I think waiting a little longer to make a decision bodes well for turning pro sooner.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No, to keep him ED-exempt he'd have to sign an ATO for the rest of this season, which would only let him play in the AHL.

As for your list, you're forgetting Zadorov, so Colorado already has 4 NHL blueliners to protect. Plus there's also Meloche, who's playing his first pro season this year and could easily already be a high-quality top 4 guy by the time of the ED. At the moment it looks like we should go 4 + 4 with MacK / Mikko / Landy / Jost + EJ / Zadorov / Girard / Barrie.

Apologies for the late reply, but this is incorrect.

The Avs could sign him including this 2017-18 season and Makar would still be expansion draft exempt so long as he didn’t hit the 10 game NHL threshold in 2017-18. His ELC would slide for 2017-18 and slide years don’t count towards the professional year threshold in the expansion draft rules.

Reactions: avsfan09 and MaMiNe

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Apologies for the late reply, but this is incorrect.

The Avs could sign him including this 2017-18 season and Makar would still be expansion draft exempt so long as he didn’t hit the 10 game NHL threshold in 2017-18. His ELC would slide for 2017-18 and slide years don’t count towards the professional year threshold in the expansion draft rules.

Really? I was pretty sure that even a single NHL game would leave him ED-eligible.

MaMiNe

Mar 17, 2018
I didn't even think about that but it makes total sense. When Yamamoto had his 9 game tryout at beginning of the year no one talked about this at all as a possible issue. If this is in fact correct then why not put Makar in for 9 games? Do playoffs count?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I didn't even think about that but it makes total sense. When Yamamoto had his 9 game tryout at beginning of the year no one talked about this at all as a possible issue. If this is in fact correct then why not put Makar in for 9 games? Do playoffs count?

Yes, playoff games count towards the 10 game threshold.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Anyone ever wonder why he was snubbed by: OHL,WHL,QMJHL,USHL,BCHL...
none of the teams saw his true potential? that's close to 100 teams by just those 5 leagues.
(if you include 15/16 teams of the AJHL, that makes it over 110 teams)

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Anyone ever wonder why he was snubbed by: OHL,WHL,QMJHL,USHL,BCHL...
none of the teams saw his true potential? that's close to 100 teams by just those 5 leagues.
(if you include 15/16 teams of the AJHL, that makes it over 110 teams)

How was he snubbed by these leagues? Because he wasn’t drafted? Don’t they also take likelihood a pick would actually come play into consideration?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
How was he snubbed by these leagues? Because he wasn’t drafted? Don’t they also take likelihood a pick would actually come play into consideration?

None of the teams were interested enough to sign him as free agent,or draft him, why?.
oh....bad choice of word...maybe snubbed wasn't the correct word to describe, my bad.

english isn't my first language...though i don't wanna hide behind that :)

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
None of the teams were interested enough to sign him as free agent,or draft him, why?.
Because he was obviously unskilled enough to play for them. That said he's a very good junior A player. Avs did well drafting a guy to help their ECHL team here and I think that's really hard to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad