D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
His skill-set offensively is pretty incredible from the videos I've seen, more importantly the full shift by shift one from last month. Between his super quick feet and hands, his ability to suddenly change gears while skating, and just his innate sense in the o-zone or in transition, there's a **** load of talent here. If you didn't know better, you'd think you were watching some high skilled forward prospect. He looks THAT skilled.

What I still don't know, and only would from more actual game footage is how he is defensively off the puck in the NZ and DZ. That game that was posted was basically a rout, and they barely had to play much defense, aside from the odd PK. I know it might be suggested that he drove play offensively so well he didn't have to play D....but it didn't look like him directly causing it so much as the other team just got demolished and played pretty poorly. I wish I saw some more diverse situational hockey to better gauge him. As a smaller dynamo d man out of the AJHL (where he maybe can pull off some riskier plays he couldn't get away with elsewhere), and one of the older guys in the draft class, he's just a tough read from afar projecting his game at the next levels. I don't actually know....I'm just wondering if anyone could actually talk about that aspect of his game.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Couldn't he have gone to UMass this year but they wanted him to do another year of juniors?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
looking forward to see how he does at a higher level when he goes to NCAA. The league he's playing in is no challenge what so ever for him

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Top 10 pick right now? Hard to get a read on this kid because his highlights look great but he plays in a league I've never heard of and is only committed to UMass who isn't that great.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Top 10 pick right now? Hard to get a read on this kid because his highlights look great but he plays in a league I've never heard of and is only committed to UMass who isn't that great.

Yeah I saw a bit of Fabbro last year (JR. A d-man) and I wasn't that high on Fabbro. But Makar has some serious star potential. Mostly because he skates like the wind.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It'll be dependent on which team is picking. Kid has some serious upside overall with his toolbox. But some teams will still be fearful of his size/league he plays in. He fits perfectly in with the Leafs and would be insane on the PP with Matthews, Nylander and Marner.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
It'll be dependent on which team is picking. Kid has some serious upside overall with his toolbox. But some teams will still be fearful of his size/league he plays in. He fits perfectly in with the Leafs and would be insane on the PP with Matthews, Nylander and Marner.

A quick puck moving defenseman is needed on about 25 NHL rosters right now. The perfect fit is not specific to the Leafs.

I also don't see him lasting past #10.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
AJHL is worse than BCHL and he plays on an amazing team.

I'd put him slightly below Dante Fabbro, who has struggled in NCAA btw.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
A quick puck moving defenseman is needed on about 25 NHL rosters right now. The perfect fit is not specific to the Leafs.

I also don't see him lasting past #10.

The Leafs are arguably a top 3 speed team in the league and have the league's number 1 PP without a dedicated PP QB. He fits us better than essentially any other team.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
AJHL is worse than BCHL and he plays on an amazing team.

I'd put him slightly below Dante Fabbro, who has struggled in NCAA btw.

Not struggling. 11 pts in his last 16 games. Took 2 months to adjust to the the level of competition, but he's doing work now.

Edit: It's worth noting that you should never doubt Nashville when projecting Dmen. They have been the best in the league at scouting D for 15 years. Not a Preds fan, for the record.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Is Reilly not the QB?

No, Rielly is on the 3rd pp group (pretty much only comes out for the last 10-30 seconds before the pp expires, unless both units are totally sucking).

FWIW, I do think that Makar would fit in well with the style the Leafs play, but I also think there are other teams he would also fit well in, and they will probably have a better chance to draft him.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
The Leafs are arguably a top 3 speed team in the league and have the league's number 1 PP without a dedicated PP QB. He fits us better than essentially any other team.

If the Leafs are so great, maybe they don't need Makar and he would fit better on a less amazing roster.

In any case, they won't draft high enough to pick him, so let's return to discussing the player he is now, not fantasizing about him on the Leafs.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
finished the season with 75P in 54GP. good for 1.38 PPG

kid is ****ing unbelievable. whoever gets him will be really happy

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
1G 1A in his first playoff game. brooks bandits wrecked the team 9-0

too bad hes not playing in the CHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events