D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, if Barrie gets traded for a stud forward like Draisaitl / Stone / Marner, then that would change everything and we'd have to go 7+3; Jost is just too good to leave exposed. But if Barrie is re-signed then the only way we could go 7+3 is if EJ waived his NMC and we had a promise from Seattle that they were going to pick someone younger.

We just don't have any forwards that have to be protected outside of the top line & Jost, and have enough interesting supporting pieces that we can afford to lose 1 of Compher / Greer / Andrighetto / Kamenev / Kerfoot / Nieto / Beaudin / Toninato, who will all be ED-eligible. Especially since we'll still have Bowers, Shvyryov, at least one of these 3 first round picks we have in the next two drafts + any futures; who will all be ED-exempt to join whichever of those supporting guys aren't picked.

If he's still around and nothing drastically unexpected happens the next two years, I see Kerfoot being Seattle's target from us. Local kid, really smart, great passer, quick, not afraid to go to the dirty areas, just entering his prime seasons (2 years from now), proven enough for them to feel he's a good gamble (he'll have 3 seasons under his belt by then) but still young n talented enough where he could have a Haula-esque breakout year for them. If his refusal to shoot doesn't infuriate people too badly, he should become a fan favorite pretty quickly.

So as long as Makar & Timmins don't go pro until next season...and Meloche doesn't develop too quickly...the Avs should be good for the Expansion Draft. We'll lose a good player, like everyone, but it won't be anybody we can't live without.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Makar you mean the guy who has 4 less points and one more goal than Jacob Bryson?

pretty easy game to play that one
You mean the Jacob Bryson that plays on a much better Providence team compared to UMass?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You mean the Jacob Bryson that plays on a much better Providence team compared to UMass?

yeah the same one, taken 99th overall in the same draft as Makar was 4th overall yep that guy he was also an over ager too so no one saw fit to draft him last year but of course he should be outscoring a 4th overall. Im sorry id expect a 4th overall pick to be a catalyst on his team wherever he plays.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
yeah the same one, taken 99th overall in the same draft as Makar was 4th overall yep that guy he was also an over ager too so no one saw fit to draft him last year but of course he should be outscoring a 4th overall. Im sorry id expect a 4th overall pick to be a catalyst on his team wherever he plays.

lol, leafs fans really are salty that Makar is so much more exciting than Liljegren

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, if Barrie gets traded for a stud forward like Draisaitl / Stone / Marner, then that would change everything and we'd have to go 7+3; Jost is just too good to leave exposed. But if Barrie is re-signed then the only way we could go 7+3 is if EJ waived his NMC and we had a promise from Seattle that they were going to pick someone younger.

We just don't have any forwards that have to be protected outside of the top line & Jost, and have enough interesting supporting pieces that we can afford to lose 1 of Compher / Greer / Andrighetto / Kamenev / Kerfoot / Nieto / Beaudin / Toninato, who will all be ED-eligible. Especially since we'll still have Bowers, Shvyryov, at least one of these 3 first round picks we have in the next two drafts + any futures; who will all be ED-exempt to join whichever of those supporting guys aren't picked.

If he's still around and nothing drastically unexpected happens the next two years, I see Kerfoot being Seattle's target from us. Local kid, really smart, great passer, quick, not afraid to go to the dirty areas, just entering his prime seasons (2 years from now), proven enough for them to feel he's a good gamble (he'll have 3 seasons under his belt by then) but still young n talented enough where he could have a Haula-esque breakout year for them. If his refusal to shoot doesn't infuriate people too badly, he should become a fan favorite pretty quickly.

So as long as Makar & Timmins don't go pro until next season...and Meloche doesn't develop too quickly...the Avs should be good for the Expansion Draft. We'll lose a good player, like everyone, but it won't be anybody we can't live without.

:laugh:

Reactions: MaKarter

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
lol, leafs fans really are salty that Makar is so much more exciting than Liljegren

im not talking about liljegren? I am talking about makar here. My response to another posters argument about Liljegren isn't out scoring meloche was to point out Makar is being outscored by an older player too, and there are many many more examples of it.

I can honestly say that I wanted nothing to do with makar, it would take a lot of digging but in the draft thread on the leafs board I was dead against it before the draft. Ripping up an incredibly inferior league to the rest of the draft eligible players really isn't that impressive especially top 10 in the draft, There is no leaf bias here or anti colarado bias. I personally don't think Makar is as great as made out to be. Liljegren is a big long shot too but at pick 17 its a much easier risk to take

and why does expecting more from a 4th overall make me salty? the 5th overall pick is setting records in the SHL for example.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
im not talking about liljegren? I am talking about makar here. My response to another posters argument about Liljegren isn't out scoring meloche was to point out Makar is being outscored by an older player too, and there are many many more examples of it.

I can honestly say that I wanted nothing to do with makar, it would take a lot of digging but in the draft thread on the leafs board I was dead against it before the draft. Ripping up an incredibly inferior league to the rest of the draft eligible players really isn't that impressive especially top 10 in the draft, There is no leaf bias here or anti colarado bias. I personally don't think Makar is as great as made out to be. Liljegren is a big long shot too but at pick 17 its a much easier risk to take

and why does expecting more from a 4th overall make me salty? the 5th overall pick is setting records in the SHL for example.
Makar did tear up WJC against the top competition and winning the gold being the mvp iirc... All that while his coach tried to diminish his minutes and dim the light, nope. What's so weak about Makars game to your eye I'm curious? He's a big games player where he elevates his game when it matters the most. I think that's very important quality in clutch situations and in the playoffs.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hey, hey, no need to let the facts get in the way
Well if we are talking facts (and I'm a UMass alum).... while Providence is better, they've scored a whopping total of 8 more goals than the Minutemen have. So saying that Bryson is getting an unfair points boost by being on a better team is really not accurate.

Obviously, Makar is a better player and will remain such, but his team offensively is pretty equal to Providence.

The problem is that UMass stinks defensively.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

err mark stone?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Everyone may doubt it now, but Marner will be a stud some day
No one doubts it everyone knows. Marner would be the best winger on the avs. Would not trade for a number 3 dmen in barrie. But back to Makar. Super skilled and i really like him as a player. Both him and lilijgren have similar ceilings but makar is more likely to reach his. Great prospect the avalanche got.

Reactions: 99664987

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
No one doubts it everyone knows. Marner would be the best winger on the avs. Would not trade for a number 3 dmen in barrie. But back to Makar. Super skilled and i really like him as a player. Both him and lilijgren have similar ceilings but makar is more likely to reach his. Great prospect the avalanche got.
Marner is very skilled and has a huge ceiling, but it would be difficult to make a case that he’s been better than Rantanen this year. Rantanen has 69 points in 67 games while Marner has 56 points in 69 games. Rantanen also has the big size advantage at 6.4, 215 pounds. Barrie has his faults but he does lead the entire league in ppg for dmen, I imagine his value leaguewide would be decently high. If I was the leafs I wouldn’t touch a Barrie for Marner trade either though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

:biglaugh:

This is why Leafs fans aren't taken seriously.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
:biglaugh:

Reactions: PKwonthetrade

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Makar did tear up WJC against the top competition and winning the gold being the mvp iirc... All that while his coach tried to diminish his minutes and dim the light, nope. What's so weak about Makars game to your eye I'm curious? He's a big games player where he elevates his game when it matters the most. I think that's very important quality in clutch situations and in the playoffs.
He wasn’t MVP or even named top defender of the tournament. He was named to the all star team. Top defender was Dahlin, and MVP was Mittelstadt.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He wasn’t MVP or even named top defender of the tournament. He was named to the all star team. Top defender was Dahlin, and MVP was Mittelstadt.
Why are you saying that like it's a bad thing? Makar was a freak at the WJC.

That's like if somebody said Auston Matthews tore up the NHL last season and I said "he wasn't even the MVP of the NHL".

Using "he was named to the all star team" as a negative against somebody is an odd argument.

Last edited:

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
If coach gave him the minutes he deserved it is more than likely he would have won the scoring title at the WJC's and taken home MVP. Makar should have been given probably double the minutes he was allowed. Even with that he tied for the defense scoring lead. Had his teammates converted on a number of his suberb set ups he could have easily had 11 or more points (like Mittelstadt and Necas). It is all the more impressive that he was voted to the WJC all-star team when his own coach gave him so little ice time. Almost every time he touched the puck he looked dangerous. Only my opinion, but that how I saw it. By far the most dangerous player on team Canada and more than solid on defense as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why are you saying that like it's a bad thing? Makar was a freak at the WJC.

That's like if somebody said Auston Matthews tore up the NHL last season and I said "he wasn't even the MVP of the NHL".

Using "he was named to the all star team" as a negative against somebody is an odd argument.
It wasn’t a negative. It was responding to someone saying he was MVP.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But why limit the return for Barrie to a future stud like Marner or stone or Draisaitl? Surely Matthews or even McDavid would be available for that kind of prize

The dman with the best ppg this season + Ottawa's top 10 pick next spring ++ is, to quote a now-incarcerated former governor of Illinois: "f***in valuable", but it's not that valuable.

...though Matthews would be a good two-way #2 to MacKinnon if you're interested :naughty:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad