D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
0 goals 3 assists thru 4 games. Pretty weak schedule so far, once the hockey east games pick up we should get a better read on him. Im sure its quite an adjustment

Reactions: Spilot23

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I know it’s early but does someone has anything on him since joining NCAA? Just wanna know how he is doing over there thanks :)

Pronman did a piece on Makar's a few days ago.

If you don't have access a poster from our boards, Valar Morghulis, provided a summary:

-He mentions that it's obvious when Makar has the puck. That he has an explosive first few steps with elite skill.
-A gm says that he is the best player of his age at getting the puck through the neutral zone.
-Needs to work on 1v1 puck battles along the boards. Has been working on adjusting his defensive techniques.
-The Avs have spoken a lot with Greg Carvel about his defensive development. Coach says there is nothing to worry, as he believes that Cale is very coachable
-Has had a huge impact on the game offensively. Says that Makar has turned their pp around from being the worst in the league last season. He plays the full 2 minutes.
-Carvel says he hopes Makar will be with the Avs next season, he's that kind of player.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Still at 3 assists through 6 games. The points aren't great. How does he look?

Beats me but it looks like they lost a couple games to Ohio State 3-0 and 3-1. Umass isn’t good and they’re likely to have stretches like that.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Its a big step going from Junior A to NCAA... Wouldnt surprise me at all if he didnt put up the big point total he did in Alberta Junior A. It happens alot... Even Dante Fabbro had a very quiet offensive year in NCAA after playing BC junior A and he was a high point getter.

Gotta be patient!!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its a big step going from Junior A to NCAA... Wouldnt surprise me at all if he didnt put up the big point total he did in Alberta Junior A. It happens alot... Even Dante Fabbro had a very quiet offensive year in NCAA after playing BC junior A and he was a high point getter.

Gotta be patient!!
He's still quiet offensively at the NCAA level, so its not really a positive statement of re-enforcement, as Fabbro hasn't proven those worries are unfounded.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

Gotta be patient!!
Thanks. Yeah, patience is good here. But Makar was #4 pick whereas Fabbro was #17 so expectations of Makar are considerably higher.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He's a defenseman going from Junior A to the NCAA, I wouldn't look too much into it. From everything we've heard he's been awesome at Umass.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He's still quiet offensively at the NCAA level, so its not really a positive statement of re-enforcement, as Fabbro hasn't proven those worries are unfounded.

oops sorry ya that's what I meant... that Fabbro has still been pretty quiet. I was basically just meaning that some of these high scoring Junior A guys need quite a bit of time in NCAA cause that step up to that next level is huge cause Junior A is a pretty good step down from NCAA and also Major Junior

Makar will be fine tho... Gonna be unreal!!

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
People are saying he went from Jr. A to the NCAA and it is a big jump to make excuses for his start. The point is he was drafted 4th overall, and hailed by many around here as the most offensively gifted d-man in the draft, because he lit up Jr. A. The reality is many d-men in the 1st round of the draft could have torched Jr. A, and how his game is going to translate against stiffer competition like the NCAA is a question mark. Hopefully he adjusts, but he seems like an awful risk to have been taken 4th OA for a team that needs to hit that pick out of the park.

Reactions: Iceman

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
People are saying he went from Jr. A to the NCAA and it is a big jump to make excuses for his start. The point is he was drafted 4th overall, and hailed by many around here as the most offensively gifted d-man in the draft, because he lit up Jr. A. The reality is many d-men in the 1st round of the draft could have torched Jr. A, and how his game is going to translate against stiffer competition like the NCAA is a question mark. Hopefully he adjusts, but he seems like an awful risk to have been taken 4th OA for a team that needs to hit that pick out of the park.

... it's been 6 games. I have seen one of them, where his talent was obvious, especially as it pertains to the transition game. He was quite impressive in the Summer Showcase, too.

a team that needs to hit that pick out of the park.

Hence picking the guy that has that kind of potential.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

He’s got 3 points in 6 games on a team that went 5-29-2 last season. It’s a little early....

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
This was expected, he’s moving from an extremely easy league to one of the hardest. Let’s cut him a little slack in transition until he gets it figured out.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah some of these posts are completely unfounded.

3 points in 6 games is fine for Makar playing on a team that's as weak as his. He's already being given huge responsibilities by his coach. He plays the full 2 minutes on the PP and plays the most minutes of that Defense. Just from watching some highlights of his shifts so far it's very clear he's well above the rest of his team in terms of talent. He's the driving force on that team and doesn't have a lot of support around him.

I'm not concerned about his game in the least.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Awful start for a player that was dubbed as the next Karlsson.

If he was the next Karlsson he would not have been available at #4.

I suspect you completely misunderstood someone making a stylistic comparison. He is the same player type.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
He's going to be criticized for stupid reasons this year. If he rounds up his defensive game and scores at a .5-.75 PPG clip it should be seen as a good year. His D+2 Year in the NCAA will be when id expect him to dominate

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Some people here have unrealistic expectations and base everything on stats watching. Makar probably would get a lot more hype if he played for a good team.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Thats encouraging. I'm becoming a huge fan of his game. I hope the Avs finally have their number 1 D and can fill in the rest of the spots with whats already in place and other prospects. I'm hoping they almost draft a lot like this season in the years coming. Take some good looking D really high up, then take some risks on forwards later in the draft. Obviously they need every position. But if they can keep snagging players like Kerfoot and other promising college UFA's and some europeans maybe they can actually benefit from building a good D and trade the extra guys they don't have room for to fill out the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad